Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
So far, I can report that the "growl" when I slowly back out of my garage is now gone with 530. That's the only thing (positive or negative) that I have noticed.

It's 70 degrees here, so I haven't used the HVAC.

On my next drive in the cooler night, I'll try a hard deceleration in Hill Mode 2 and see if the braking/regen shudder is gone. But, it might not be cold enough.

Will also try a quick acceleration to see if the "torque hole" is gone, but I really never had actively noticed it before. But, I'll see if I feel anything different.

I think I like the responsiveness of my cruise control buttons better, but it's hard to tell. Haven't used it a lot, yet.

Won't be storing my car for any length of time, so probably won't notice the 12 volt battery staying charged from the HV.

Is there anything else a healthy car being used should be able to notice?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Error code is P0A8000 and state of health is 0. It was fine prior to 530 update
That's really bad news. For hybrid vehicles, that code means "replace the battery pack." The good news is that you have Harleyguy in Florida to help you. He has the tools to tell you what happened.

Although BL530 does interact with the BECM, I don't understand why it would take out your HV battery if the battery was functioning properly. As has been mentioned many times on the Buzz, HV packs manufactured prior to March 26, 2012 at A123's Livonia, MI, plant can fail in some manner at any time. Usually one or more cells start to leak and the BECM reports cell deviations via error codes. The total failure you experienced was what happened to Consumer Reports on their test track in early March, 2012.

Out of approximately 2000 Livonia batteries, this is only the second time (to my knowledge) that someone has reported a total battery failure.

Today, Pat's Garage installed BL530 in my Karma and it functioned perfectly in every way during the 50-mile trip home. There were no error codes on my OBDII scanner, and all systems were functioning properly as reported by the monitoring system in the CIU. I did not detect any torque hole while accelerating on the freeway.

Two improvements I immediately noticed was that my fuel gauge now seems to be working properly, and my Karma didn't make its usual RDM "growling" noises when turning into my driveway. Also, on the drive up in the morning with BL520, the climate control starting feeding warm air into the cabin although it was turned off and the outside air temperature was about the same during the trip (high 50s). With BL530, the HVAC didn't turn itself on even though the afternoon temperature differential between SF (high 50's) and my home (70 deg.) was now significantly greater.

I'll need more time to see about the other improvements, but at the moment the car is working great.

Please keep us posted and I'll do the same.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
Ira
I've been emailing back and forth with Srq I didn't ask where he got that code from I was guiding base on a 0 SOH . The problem of 0 SOH has been around for a while in the beginning I had to remove the BECM from the HV battery ship it out to Fisker and they had to reflash the BECM this happened so offen I had a spare BECM which I would install and get the car back on the road same day.

Fast forward Fisker finally released the needed file to the dealers so we could take care of the 0 SOH that was released before 520 without looking at my old emails I don't remember when.
Srq had Fisker Tampa upgrade the car to 530 and from what he has told me the problem surfaced after 530. My advise was to flash the BECM with the 520 files then 530. If that doesn't fix the SOH problem he will need a new BECM .

·
Registered
859 Posts
Ira
I've been emailing back and forth with Srq I didn't ask where he got that code from I was guiding base on a 0 SOH . The problem of 0 SOH has been around for a while in the beginning I had to remove the BECM from the HV battery ship it out to Fisker and they had to reflash the BECM this happened so offen I had a spare BECM which I would install and get the car back on the road same day.

Fast forward Fisker finally released the needed file to the dealers so we could take care of the 0 SOH that was released before 520 without looking at my old emails I don't remember when.
Srq had Fisker Tampa upgrade the car to 530 and from what he has told me the problem surfaced after 530. My advise was to flash the BECM with the 520 files then 530. If that doesn't fix the SOH problem he will need a new BECM .
Thanks, Harleyguy, that was helpful. Needing to replace or re-flash the BECM is obviously a lot better than having to replace the entire pack.

The question still remains why the BL530 upgrade caused or revealed Srq's problem. It's something to watch out for going forward. I do know that Pat and other CSPs have performed the upgrade without any BECM issues . . . so far.

It's probably a good idea to make sure the 12V and HV batteries are healthy - and other upgrades have been done - before installing BL530.

Back to the original thread . . . after returning from Pat's (50-miles) I noticed that the cooling fan for the main radiator immediately stopped when I turned off the vehicle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have driven my car with the 530 update for a couple charge cycles so far and here is what I have noticed:

- Torque hole it totally gone :)
- AC temp compensation between ICE running and not running is is much better with little to no temp increase with ICE running like before.
- Motor growl at very low speeds is 95% gone. There is still a very slight noise but a massive improvement.
- Transition between braking and regen is much smoother and less noticeable
- No difference in ICE running between 520 and 530

That is all I noticed so far.

Few notes:

While I had a car in I had it inspected for the warranty and had to have several service items done. To get 530 on the AC module it had to be replaced (~$200). Unfortunately the new module was not calibrated to the cabin temp sensor so its now off by 10deg. If you have to replace your AC module with the 530 update make sure they calibrate it while its in the shop.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Update on Update

The CSP replaced the BECM. The CEL went out but now, it shows the battery is fully charged after driving and the HV battery should have dropped in charge. I have not had the car since December and would like to get it back some day soon. I am at the mercy of the CSP at this point. If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know what the correction was and I will report it to the CSP

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I think I may have a possible 530 bug.

I noticed strange subtle noises in the ventilation system when I start the car. (It sounds like some sort of vent controller). It may go away on it's own, but after a couple of minutes of it, it sounds like it may damage the car... so I turn the A/C off and then back on, the sounds go away. For now, I'm back to turning off the A/C before I turn off the car.

Is anyone else having this problem? You need a perfectly quiet car to hear it.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
399 Posts
I think I may have a possible 530 bug.

I noticed strange subtle noises in the ventilation system when I start the car. (It sounds like some sort of vent controller). It may go away on it's own, but after a couple of minutes of it, it sounds like it may damage the car... so I turn the A/C off and then back on, the sounds go away. For now, I'm back to turning off the A/C before I turn off the car.

Is anyone else having this problem? You need a perfectly quiet car to hear it.
Well I had something similar - yesterday, I drove to work and it was cold and so I had the heating on. Warm air was coming out of the right hand two nozzles and cold (outside air) was coming from the two driver-side nozzles. The AC was set to deliver the same temperature on both sides, by the way.

Maybe all is not well with 530?

·
Registered
859 Posts
After 530, the time zone keeps resetting to Los Angeles - even though both 1 and 2 zones have been set to San Francisco numerous times. Anyone else seeing time zone changes?

Any hints on making my time zone setting permanent?

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
After 530, the time zone keeps resetting to Los Angeles - even though both 1 and 2 zones have been set to San Francisco numerous times. Anyone else seeing time zone changes?

Any hints on making my time zone setting permanent?
Has nothing to do with 530 . 520 caused problems all kinds of problems with the CIU

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.