Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've mentioned in other threads, I was hoping that 530 would stop the persistent CEL code I was getting whenever my car drops below 20 Stealth miles. I have had a couple of modules replaced, and they all check out fine when charged, but somehow at a lower state of charge, I think one of them is reporting less voltage to the computer. One of the CSPs on this site said that I may still not have my cells well balanced. So, I have driven down to 0 and fully charged now 3 times in a row, but my charger keeps showing that the car clicked charging off after 4-5 hours.

Are there new rules for getting the car to go into balance mode that are different with 530? Did they create any way to allow a tech to "force it", yet? Should I bother to keep trying?

The car runs fine, and I can clear the codes with my phone. But, I get the codes once a week or so. Normally, I don't run the car down below 20 stealth miles that often in normal use most of my driving is 20-30 miles a day, and then I recharge. But, I'd like the dumb thing to quit taking away the only readable speedometer with the orange engine icon. :dodgy:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Battery no longer balances with 530. We have to revert car back to 520 to balance when we replace modules. But the good side is that the becm appears to ignore imbalance faults triggered by voltage deviation like before.
Not sure what this does for long term health of the battery but should drastically reduce the check engine lights

·
Registered
57 Posts
Battery no longer balances with 530. We have to revert car back to 520 to balance when we replace modules. But the good side is that the becm appears to ignore imbalance faults triggered by voltage deviation like before.
Not sure what this does for long term health of the battery but should drastically reduce the check engine lights

Whaaat? Cell balancing is necessary for lithium ion batteries. Even my drone and rc car LIPO batteries have to be balanced. This has to be a huge mistake or oversight?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Well from what we see, the charger no longer runs for hours or days on an unbalanced battery it just stops at full. Unless they changed the strategy and I'm not picking it up.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, then I'll stop trying. Been burning gas unnecessarily so I could get home on 0. Is KA going to start providing tools to test/charge separate modules to CSP's.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I doubt that would have been an intentional change.

The way their internal software works and the way they setup the calibrations to be sent to dealers for the updates has a flaw.

That flaw is, The binaries only hold the CHANGED values that they did on most of the controllers. Not the full binary. So, if something was changed previously, and someone else sets up a new one to be released, and it didn't include those other changes, the values wont be transferred over from one update to the other. Which is why some people have to go back to a few versions of flash first, then go up one by one to the final release.
Or why some cars have weird issues and others don't. It depended on the flash files and the order done from release to release. Some places just update to the latest version first and that is where it is an issue.

I am sure now they will fix that though after this post.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
I doubt that would have been an intentional change.

The way their internal software works and the way they setup the calibrations to be sent to dealers for the updates has a flaw.

That flaw is, The binaries only hold the CHANGED values that they did on most of the controllers. Not the full binary. So, if something was changed previously, and someone else sets up a new one to be released, and it didn't include those other changes, the values wont be transferred over from one update to the other. Which is why some people have to go back to a few versions of flash first, then go up one by one to the final release.
Or why some cars have weird issues and others don't. It depended on the flash files and the order done from release to release. Some places just update to the latest version first and that is where it is an issue.

I am sure now they will fix that though after this post.
The flaw is in 530 plan and simple. Every car I've had an issue with was on 520 then went to 530.
I won't install 530 if the car is on 510 still .

·
Registered
25 Posts
530 have few flaws with BECM and on board charger software. Karma is aware of that and they are working on it to get it corrected. Once file is ready it will be released to providers to be installed on the car.

Flaws that I have found and reported are: cell balancing flickering on and off after battery receives full charge, two erroneous faults for charger over temperature and charge deviation get set after few drive cycles, present on some cars not all for some reason.

When I talk to them last time they sad that there is software error and looks like all functions are still taking place in the background just getting reported incorrectly, and you may get occasional MIL on for over temp of OBCM.

Hope that shades some light.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
530 have few flaws with BECM and on board charger software. Karma is aware of that and they are working on it to get it corrected. Once file is ready it will be released to providers to be installed on the car.

Flaws that I have found and reported are: cell balancing flickering on and off after battery receives full charge, two erroneous faults for charger over temperature and charge deviation get set after few drive cycles, present on some cars not all for some reason.

When I talk to them last time they sad that there is software error and looks like all functions are still taking place in the background just getting reported incorrectly, and you may get occasional MIL on for over temp of OBCM.

Hope that shades some light.
Any chance these flaws account for multiple misfire indications when driving off with a full charge in stealth (as reported elsewhere, my ICE fired up after driving a mile from a ChargePoint station and my dashboard lit up like an (orange) Christmas tree)?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any chance these flaws account for multiple misfire indications when driving off with a full charge in stealth (as reported elsewhere, my ICE fired up after driving a mile from a ChargePoint station and my dashboard lit up like an (orange) Christmas tree)?
I have not heard anything about that. I have few fiskers here on the chargers now I will check in the AM to see if that happens, As far as I know BECM software should not allowed ICE to fire up even when in sport on full charge until it drops to about 45miles on display.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Thank you - while I am devoted to my Karma, it is a little dispiriting that almost every outing reveals some new 'quirk' :angel:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok, sorry took so long. I drove two fiskers after being on chargers and fully charged. Right in to sport and no ICE engagement till about 46miles on display. Only think I can think of in your case is wrong software version on HCU. Or car is trying to run EVAP that is why engine fires up. but according to strategy of new HCU software it should not till drops on mileage. Have someone check your HCU software version

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Ok, sorry took so long. I drove two fiskers after being on chargers and fully charged. Right in to sport and no ICE engagement till about 46miles on display. Only think I can think of in your case is wrong software version on HCU. Or car is trying to run EVAP that is why engine fires up. but according to strategy of new HCU software it should not till drops on mileage. Have someone check your HCU software version
I will get Pat to look into that - I will add that to the list of possibilities. Thank you for checking into this; very much appreciated.

I am still suspicious of my work ChargePoint station; I am 2 for 2 in having issues after charging it there and have had no issues with the car when charging on my level 2 charger at home...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found few other problems with BECM software that actually disable a car. Karma is working on revise BECM file. I would avoid putting 530 BECM file on cars for now.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
For those of you who do not monitor the Karma Auto official forum, here is an exchange posted two days ago on this topic that you may find informative.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts