Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered a 3D printer (Prusa i3 MK2 kit) to build some parts for our Modem products.

As always, to combine work and fun, I'm wondering, if there any 3D print files available, related to our Karma?
I know of the cup holder sterling500 has build, but maybe somebody did some other stuff to check out ...

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
I've just ordered a 3D printer (Prusa i3 MK2 kit) to build some parts for our Modem products.

As always, to combine work and fun, I'm wondering, if there any 3D print files available, related to our Karma?
I know of the cup holder sterling500 has build, but maybe somebody did some other stuff to check out ...

I wonder if you can print the console tray... What is the maximum envelope size for a product that can be printed?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you have any ideas for things to design, let me know. I always wanted to buy that model of the 2012 Karma that shrowell mentioned. Just never had a reason other than it would be cool.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if you can print the console tray... What is the maximum envelope size for a product that can be printed?

It prints 250 mm * 210 mm, 200 mm high

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
I bought these 3D models from the site I mentioned (I am talking about files that can be loaded into various design software packages, not a physical model) and then tried a couple of 3D Printer Services to see how they rendered in their previews of what the printed (physical) model - I was not really that impressed; I think the model in plastic or whatever would not be particularly nice judging by the images (see this link for an example - hopefully it takes you to the right place). There seem to a lot of holes in various places and the finish doesn't seem that good. Not worth risking the $300 to find out - I will keep looking for an alternative.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey I have a 3D printer as well! Looks like you got a really good one. I actually have 4 printers at the moment (Monoprice Mini, Robo 3D R1+, Cube 3, and a Wanhao Duplicator i3)and I'm really interested in this thread. If I can help with anything, please let me know. The only things that I've designed so far for the Karma are the door panel pins (because I broke a couple of mine), and an insert that goes into the cup holder and holds my Yeti cup so that I can drink my coffee on the way to work in the morning. I created a thread regarding printing the tray that would replace the battery window in the center console. I would love to print it out of Hatchbox wood fill, sand it, and stain it to match the wood over my navigation screen. The progress on that has really slowed down for me though because I'm scared of breaking something when I try to get the battery window out. You could cut a square of it out (It's plastic rather than glass), but that idea scares me too. Congrats on the printer, you'll LOVE it!

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Hey I have a 3D printer as well! Looks like you got a really good one. I actually have 4 printers at the moment (Monoprice Mini, Robo 3D R1+, Cube 3, and a Wanhao Duplicator i3)and I'm really interested in this thread. If I can help with anything, please let me know. The only things that I've designed so far for the Karma are the door panel pins (because I broke a couple of mine), and an insert that goes into the cup holder and holds my Yeti cup so that I can drink my coffee on the way to work in the morning. I created a thread regarding printing the tray that would replace the battery window in the center console. I would love to print it out of Hatchbox wood fill, sand it, and stain it to match the wood over my navigation screen. The progress on that has really slowed down for me though because I'm scared of breaking something when I try to get the battery window out. You could cut a square of it out (It's plastic rather than glass), but that idea scares me too. Congrats on the printer, you'll LOVE it!
Send me your address. I can send you the tray I made. You can 3D scan it and send it back when your finished?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Send me your address. I can send you the tray I made. You can 3D scan it and send it back when your finished?
@PowerSource That would be perfect if it's not much trouble to you. I have a 3D scanner, but it likes to give me grief when it comes to dimensions, so I may just do it the old fashioned way and take the measurements with my digital caliper. Regardless I shouldn't have it for more than 2-3 days, and this would put me MUCH farther ahead than designing my own from scratch.

I saw a PDF here somewhere (I think it was on the thread that I made about this) regarding getting to the underside of the center console but I couldn't make sense of it. Is it just clips that you have to pry upwards? I tried to gently pry upwards with my panel removal tool and I couldn't get it to budge. Is there a certain area I should pry at first? Or are there screws somewhere that I'm missing?

From what I understand the plastic piece is attached to the PRND pyramid/cupholder/window switch bezel, therefore and entirely new piece (like the one in the picture you attached) would have to be created rather than just the shape of the plastic window. I'm pretty sure my largest printer could print this entire thing in one go, but if not I'd have to split it into two pieces and join them together with epoxy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Sterling Apparently the idea to make 3D model of his own Karma didn't advance further than the discussion? :) It would be interesting to do this in my spare time. I have a 3d printer "Slic3r Prusa Edition" and I can get free access to Artec Leo from time to time. The truth is I do not know how to work with 3d scanners at all. Does anyone have any experience with this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts