Fisker Buzz Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Sigurd said:
Funny thing is I have never hated using gas until I got this car. Now, I hate to have to decrease my mpg and am looking for ways to only use electricity all the time.
Ditto.

As you can see from some of the other cars I have listed below, going slow and getting great gas mileage has not been a priority for me. But its so much fun to see how far you can go without using any gas, and without using friction brakes as well. I find myself playing with the hill modes to recapture as much energy as possible without seeing it dissipate into heat with the friction brakes as well.

But the Karma is so much fun to drive, that everyone in a while I do drive it hard and the 3 digit mpg be damned.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just for those in Europe where the voltage is 220 already:
I just installed a water resistant socket near my drive way.
It is connected to a separate group with a 16 amp automatic fuse. I did the installation my selves but connection to the net was made by the electrician. Cost of materials 60 Euro (usd 78)
Cost of electrician eur 75 (ex vat) which is about usd 100.

I use the convenience cord that comes with the car.

·
Registered
244 Posts
VERY addicting to be EV only- have Jag, Mercedes, Hummer and BMW that I don't want to touch just so I can try and drive without gas. So far, driven near 1000 miles and put 5 gal in tank (and that was mostly from dealer testing updates and driving). Getting over 200 mi/gal equiv. We have Blink chargers all over Phoenix/SCottsdale with free charging until 2013. Problem is they are all 220 also and only can get 5-10 mi charge during times I can park it there. They are starting to install DC rapid chargers which will charge our cars in 30 min. They put the first in Wash state Ecotality makes great 220 home unit on the Blink network. Charge time is 4-5 hrs.

·
Premium Member
4,665 Posts
Sportsmeddoc said:
They are starting to install DC rapid chargers which will charge our cars in 30 min. They put the first in Wash state Ecotality makes great 220 home unit on the Blink network. Charge time is 4-5 hrs.
As far as I know, the Karma does not support level III or DC rapid charging. In fact, it only draws 16 AMPs even though Level II Charging (and Blink Chargers) can go as high as 30A. Fisker would have to upgrade the on-board charger to support higher current flows to support anything higher.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sportsmeddoc said:
VERY addicting to be EV only- have Jag, Mercedes, Hummer and BMW that I don't want to touch just so I can try and drive without gas. So far, driven near 1000 miles and put 5 gal in tank (and that was mostly from dealer testing updates and driving). Getting over 200 mi/gal equiv. We have Blink chargers all over Phoenix/SCottsdale with free charging until 2013. Problem is they are all 220 also and only can get 5-10 mi charge during times I can park it there. They are starting to install DC rapid chargers which will charge our cars in 30 min. They put the first in Wash state Ecotality makes great 220 home unit on the Blink network. Charge time is 4-5 hrs.
I agree I am almost always in hill 1 to regenerate snd not use friction brakes

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ross a klein said:
Has there been a consensus that the 220 charger is a must have or a nice to have? Was anyone able to get around the 900$ cost/ what was installation cost avg locally. I did not buy the 220 at time of purchase and am wondering. Thanks everyone.
I have had my car for approx. 2 1/2 mo and using 110 for charging. My commute is about 15 mi. each way. Most of the time 110 is fine for me but there are many days that I could really use a 2-4 hr charge to top it off. I have the level 2 charger sitting at my house waiting for the electrician. Even though I don"t have any experience yet with the 220 charger I'm pretty sure it will be worth it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.