Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO SIR! NO WAY! Just wondering.. I ponder the idea of having a new Fisker with zero problems. just a ponder. I am in love with my 2012...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Any anticipated trade in value on the 2012? Will KA even take a 2012?
In wholesale/retail markets for a Fisker Karma, KA as a new car manufacturer isn't relevant in dictating or driving those values since there is no corporate buy policy to my knowledge. It's all the independent/franchise dealers (willingness to pay for inventory based on sales demand) and individuals wanting the car that dictate a trade value and naturally auction prices.

Bottom line - Those prices are soft in the wholesale market for a Fisker Karma as it is too much of an unknown.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
In wholesale/retail markets for a Fisker Karma, KA as a new car manufacturer isn't relevant in dictating or driving those values since there is no corporate buy policy to my knowledge. It's all the independent/franchise dealers (willingness to pay for inventory based on sales demand) and individuals wanting the car that dictate a trade value and naturally auction prices.

Bottom line - Those prices are soft in the wholesale market for a Fisker Karma as it is too much of an unknown.

With that being said, one would think that franchised Karma dealers would allot for a higher Fisker Karma trade in value on a Revero since sales of the Revero seemingly are soft. I still have not 1st hand heard of a single person admit to purchasing a Revero (just anecdotes about reservations from people who know people)

A Karma dealer may give a higher trade in value, in an effort to move Revero units (depending on margin). I have heard of this scenario, 2nd hand from Karma Pasadena. But then again they could seemingly move them to any marque that they sell, so perhaps it is a dealer specific thing- not really brand specific.

·
Registered
189 Posts
With that being said, one would think that franchised Karma dealers would allot for a higher Fisker Karma trade in value on a Revero since sales of the Revero seemingly are soft. I still have not 1st hand heard of a single person admit to purchasing a Revero (just anecdotes about reservations from people who know people)

A Karma dealer may give a higher trade in value, in an effort to move Revero units (depending on margin). I have heard of this scenario, 2nd hand from Karma Pasadena. But then again they could seemingly move them to any marque that they sell, so perhaps it is a dealer specific thing- not really brand specific.
Not at all... You cant offer more than the market will pay - that's just bad business. You need to be able to buy it for $ and sell it for $$ and make a decent % on the whole transaction. If you offer a high trade allowance you still need to sell it (there has to be demand) and if inventory lingers your margin thins out quick and for a niche dealership trying to sell a Revero there is just too much risk of buying a car that needs expensive work (RDM or Battery) and getting stuck with a ******** in your inventory that you paid too much for...worst of all it hurts your new product image.

Why does it hurt you you might ask? Here's my take - How do you push a $130k product when the exact same thing (cosmetically/visually) is on your lot for $40k-$50? Some people paying $130k truely need the ego boost that the perception they spent and have a lot of money and having someone mistakenly think they only paid $45k diminishes the halo effect they are trying to create with such a purchase. I saw this with a guy who bought a new 7 series BMW and when he brought it too the golf course someone asked him why he bought the old model (body style just changed) and he immediately traded it in that weekend because of how others viewed his purchase ...crazy.

IMO the only thing that can help a Fisker Karma in the market price wise is an expanded support base (CSP) to help the demand side (no incentive for KA to do this); as most people nationally will not touch a Fisker Karma fearing and knowing they cannot find convenient support if something goes wrong with sketchy battery 1st gen technology. Even in my case I have to ship my car 3hrs/200mi away for anything significant to Fisker Cherry Hill, but for a normal non car enthusiast daily driver owner who is use to having 2-3 franchise dealerships within their metro area (w/in 5-10mi from home) this scenario is just unacceptable and a show stopper in their buy decision.

·
1,172 Posts
Not at all... You cant offer more than the market will pay - that's just bad business. You need to be able to buy it for $ and sell it for $$ and make a decent % on the whole transaction. If you offer a high trade allowance you still need to sell it (there has to be demand) and if inventory lingers your margin thins out quick and for a niche dealership trying to sell a Revero there is just too much risk of buying a car that needs expensive work (RDM or Battery) and getting stuck with a ******** in your inventory that you paid too much for...worst of all it hurts your new product image.

Why does it hurt you you might ask? Here's my take - How do you push a $130k product when the exact same thing (cosmetically/visually) is on your lot for $40k-$50? Some people paying $130k truely need the ego boost that the perception they spent and have a lot of money and having someone mistakenly think they only paid $45k diminishes the halo effect they are trying to create with such a purchase. I saw this with a guy who bought a new 7 series BMW and when he brought it too the golf course someone asked him why he bought the old model (body style just changed) and he immediately traded it in that weekend because of how others viewed his purchase ...crazy.

IMO the only thing that can help a Fisker Karma in the market price wise is an expanded support base (CSP) to help the demand side (no incentive for KA to do this); as most people nationally will not touch a Fisker Karma fearing and knowing they cannot find convenient support if something goes wrong with sketchy battery 1st gen technology. Even in my case I have to ship my car 3hrs/200mi away for anything significant to Fisker Cherry Hill, but for a normal non car enthusiast daily driver owner who is use to having 2-3 franchise dealerships within their metro area (w/in 5-10mi from home) this scenario is just unacceptable and a show stopper in their buy decision.

You are right, Karma prices have taken a huge dump (high 30's now wholesale). At the end of the day these cars are 4-5 years old, they will continue to depreciate as any normal older used car does (will probably flat line at high 20's low 30's).

·
Registered
189 Posts
You are right, Karma prices have taken a huge dump (high 30's now wholesale). At the end of the day these cars are 4-5 years old, they will continue to depreciate as any normal older used car does (will probably flat line at high 20's low 30's).
unfortunately, I think it will go lower to the mid teens (over a period of time) much like any maserati, mercedes, etc. for all the factors previously mentioned (battery, 1st gen technical risks, not adequately supported) otherwise it would be performing stronger right now.

The typical norm in the market is approx 20% depreciation annually unless you have a high demand niche car e.g. Ferrari, which the Karma isn't and as it gets older it may get realtively expensive to repair due to being so unique, which may further depress prices.

·
Registered
349 Posts
at the lower prices, i will buy a few more and get them running.

there is nothing else that looks this good at this price.

the other reason i am thinking about this is that i can see the day soon when metro areas around the world will only allow electric vehicles in city centers, and when that day comes i dont want to be forced to buy some ugly pos like a prius or a tesla. much rather roll in my vintage karma beauty !

one of these days, all the karma's left will be well bid. i just hope i live long enough to see it !

·
1,172 Posts
Prices are now in the 30's but a cheap Karma is likely to have problems. On my personal benchmark Karma I have spent upwards of 50k having every component that is possible to fail is replaced.

RDM rebuild 4x- during the early days Fisker would replace bad RDM's with bad RDM's, rather than risk rebuilt mine with ceramic bearings, pilot shafts, 489 gears and a bunch of other stuff. Runs mint

A123 battery replaced twice

Generator coupler replaced with a slip clutch

Ecotec replaced with a LDK variant- no porous block issues and sodium filled valves.

Copious amounts of sound deadening

There are ways to build the ultimate "stock" Karma, and for any car that I would buy I would not trust it to just buy and run. Would probably do all this proactive maintenance since it is highly YMMV with CSP techs there are great ones and there are horrible ones (see Lormax).

·
Registered
349 Posts
sounds like you likely have the finest fisker in existence !!
would love to see it at some point.

that answers some of the other questions i had tho....
seems like a lot of the parts are just off the shelf gm or other, and ought not to be such a big issue to find now or later. is there some kind of list of interchangeable parts that are easily sourced?

then there are the bespoke things like CIU's, headlight covers, etc....i guess one day we will be SOL on those.

and since we are not married to A123, has nobody been able to swap out the entire battery assembly and replace it with a more powerful and/or lighter replacement now in 2017 ???

·
1,172 Posts
There are but to produce new parts is a bit of a task.. We have all electric Karma's.. not that difficult. Finding a market a bit more lol.

All can be re-created but we are talking about 2000 potential customers. Not really a great business to be in... regardless if you want the ultimate Karma we can help lol

If we could half ass it with bullshit product perhaps there is a business model but we spend a lot of time on the engineering phase and testing. If we went with the Karma model of outsourcing bullshit software requirements and just writing a check to external suppliers and playing that game... not very useful.

Don't really play that game. All our stuff is vetted and tested. Let's us sleep better at night

1 - 16 of 16 Posts