Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced my 12V battery. It was dead; car could be jumpstarted fine, but battery could not be charged. Replaced it as per descriptions.

Electronics appeared to fire up. PRND lit up. Foot-on-brake icon lit up in middle of dash. Gas and battery gauges lit up. Start button never lit up, and after a few seconds, dash went blank. PRND stayed on. No response hitting start button. Car locks and unlocks as normal. Unlocking car from sleep results in the exact sequence noted above. Did hard reset. No difference. Hooked car to jumper battery. Same thing; now car won't even jumpstart.

Looked at the fuse diagram in the owners manual. None say anything resembling "starter." No fuses are obviously bad.

Any ideas? I called Fisker Atlanta, left a message but they still haven't called back.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. This may be completely off the mark, but in my car, pressing the Start/Stop button the first time does not get me into Ready (Green EVER) mode every time. Instead it bring the car into the accessory mode, as if I had pressed it without putting my foot on the brake. I then have to put my foot back on the brake and press the button again, firmly but not violently, for the car to get into Ready mode.

I am sure you have already tried this, but I am posting just in case. I am sure other experts can chime in with better suggestions. To help them, can you tell us the sequence of events that led to the decision to change out the battery? There may be a clue there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start/Stop button does nothing at all. Never goes to accessory or ready mode. Replaced battery because it was completely dead. Car could not even be locked/unlocked with key fob. Car was jumpable, but battery would not charge at all. The problem described above appeared when new battery was installed.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Is the new battery fully charged?
If it is not, there might be enough power to show some lights, but eventually not enough to start the rest.

I'd suggest to jumpstart it even with the new battery, to rule this out.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Start/Stop button does nothing at all. Never goes to accessory or ready mode. Replaced battery because it was completely dead. Car could not even be locked/unlocked with key fob. Car was jumpable, but battery would not charge at all. The problem described above appeared when new battery was installed.
Is the key fob working? Reason I ask, I had a bad key fob and the start button wouldn't do anything because of the fob. I had a spare and that worked. So, if it's not a fob, then I have no idea beside putting the battery on a charger to charge! Any auto parts store will do it for FREE!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Try holding the key fob down against the drivers side kick panel below the hood release. The panel on the sidewall in front of the door. There is a small circular indentation in the panel. That's where the key recognition antenna is. Hold the fob against it and press the button.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the new battery fully charged?
If it is not, there might be enough power to show some lights, but eventually not enough to start the rest.

I'd suggest to jumpstart it even with the new battery, to rule this out.
Car will not start even from a jump w another battery; same sequence as described above. I've left it connected to a charger for now. It says the thing is charging, implying(?) that maybe it isn't fully charged.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try holding the key fob down against the drivers side kick panel below the hood release. The panel on the sidewall in front of the door. There is a small circular indentation in the panel. That's where the key recognition antenna is. Hold the fob against it and press the button.
Tried that. No dice.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Car will not start even from a jump w another battery; same sequence as described above. I've left it connected to a charger for now. It says the thing is charging, implying(?) that maybe it isn't fully charged.
By charger do you mean a charger for the HV battery, or for the 12 Battery?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
12V battery is fully charged. No difference.
This has to be either a fuse or something went kaput with the software. I can't imagine what else. It isn't specific to the new battery because attempts to jump the car yield the same thing. Any ideas, professors?

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
After reading issues with the 12 battery, coming up on 5 years I am considering proactively replacing the 12 Battery. I know where it is located. However, with the new 530 software that maintains the charge, I am concerned about what safety precautions are needed. Also what is needed to maintain the Karma's settings. I have a 12DC charger, but reluctant to connect with the new software.

Thanks... especially from the CSP's.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
After reading issues with the 12 battery, coming up on 5 years I am considering proactively replacing the 12 Battery. I know where it is located. However, with the new 530 software that maintains the charge, I am concerned about what safety precautions are needed. Also what is needed to maintain the Karma's settings. I have a 12DC charger, but reluctant to connect with the new software.

Thanks... especially from the CSP's.
It would be a wise decision

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram the start/stop switch is wired to the VCM.
After trying all the above suggestions I would try flashing the VCM and if that doesn't work replacing the VCM.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking at the wiring diagram the start/stop switch is wired to the VCM.
After trying all the above suggestions I would try flashing the VCM and if that doesn't work replacing the VCM.
What steps/equipment are required to flash or replace the DCM?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
What steps/equipment are required to flash or replace the DCM?
In order to do any programming the car needs to be at a CSP. If the VCM lost part of the wake up signal a laptop could be sent to you and the software can be remotely installed at this time I don't have a laptop that I can send out you might want to check with Joe

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
You need to get 535 installed if you haven't the software won't be effected .

I have 535 installed. I am not asking correctly. What, if anything, do I need to do to safely remove the 12V battery. I would normally place a 12 Charger on the Karma's 12volt port at the fuse panel. Remove and replace the battery and remove the charger. Anything else? :huh:

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Don't install any external chargers disconnect the plug where you do the hard reset. Then replace the 12 volt battery. re-calibrate the parking brake and the windows that's all that needs to be done

1 - 20 of 23 Posts