Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation for a new 12-volt battery as it appears the Varta E39 OEM battery is not available? I tried to search the forum but could not find anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane

·
Registered
146 Posts
12 Volt Battery Problem

I need to replace the 12 volt battery and I need to get the car out of my garage.

When I boost the battery off the car wakes up, the start button turns green, the lights come on and the car makes the normal sounds. The dash, entertainment console and the gear selector do not light up and is not usable. A hard reset several times and I get the same response. I left a slow charge on the vehicle all night and I get the same result.

Other than opening the truck the vehicle doesn't respond to neither key fob that was working fine before this problem.

I either need to get the vehicle in neutral so it can be pushed out of the garage to be towed or get the vehicle started so I can get the 12 volt battery replaced. The position in the garage is just to tight to replace the battery in the garage.

Sam

·
Registered
146 Posts
PowerSource, Harleyguy, Etc please respond to the above post.

I'm considering putting the rear wheels on auto dollies and pushing the vehicle out of the garage to be towed unless you guys can give me a procedure I can use to get the vehicle started.

Sam

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts

I'm considering putting the rear wheels on auto dollies and pushing the vehicle out of the garage to be towed unless you guys can give me a procedure I can use to get the vehicle started.

Sam
Sorry I missed your post I sent a PM to,you

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
What is voltage at APM? You can use an external battery if you are careful and connect to APM and Ground (disconnect the 12v black cable before you do this). Vehicle should go into ready mode if you are careful, if not the dollies are probably safer.

Could also be the VCM lost the WUP signal...

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
For the techs on the forum... is the new service procedure with 53x to remove the MSD prior to servicing the 12v? Technically, it seems like it could be possible that the BECM could command the contactors to close while the 12v plug is disconnected. This could be a shock hazard at the APM and 12v system since it would be energized even though the 12v is off. Sort of like plugging into an EVSE and pulling 12v. The 12v system would still be energized.

I think for good measure it would be smart to remove the MSD when working on the 12v system with 53x.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Before charging the battery the voltage at the APM was 4.8 votes. After trickle charging the battery for about three days It meassued 12.9 votes. A battery tester indicated a bad battery.

I disconnected the 12 V battery and attached a battery booster to APM and ground and the car started up with the same results. The stop/start button turned green and the car made all the normal sounds that it makes when it starts up except the dash, entertainment console and the gear selector does not light up so the car won't move.

The car does not respond to the key FOB and the mirrors will not extend even though the car seems to be ready to go. The key FOB will open the truck.

I'm thinking now that in addition to the battery being bad that the indications is something else is wrong and in the absence of coming up with another solution I'm going to have to consider plan b. Moving a dead karma out of the garage with a very limited space and a long narrow driveway. I have to get the car on the street so it can be turned around to be flat bedded to the dealer.

I did purchase the extended warranty which doubt that it will cover the cost of the battery but may cover whatever else is wrong with it.

If anyone has been in this situation I need suggestions as the best way to get the Karma out of the garage onto the street or what I might due to get the car fully started.

Sam

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Before charging the battery the voltage at the APM was 4.8 votes. After trickle charging the battery for about three days It meassued 12.9 votes. A battery tester indicated a bad battery.

I disconnected the 12 V battery and attached a battery booster to APM and ground and the car started up with the same results. The stop/start button turned green and the car made all the normal sounds that it makes when it starts up except the dash, entertainment console and the gear selector does not light up so the car won't move.

The car does not respond to the key FOB and the mirrors will not extend even though the car seems to be ready to go. The key FOB will open the truck.

I'm thinking now that in addition to the battery being bad that the indications is something else is wrong and in the absence of coming up with another solution I'm going to have to consider plan b. Moving a dead karma out of the garage with a very limited space and a long narrow driveway. I have to get the car on the street so it can be turned around to be flat bedded to the dealer.

I did purchase the extended warranty which doubt that it will cover the cost of the battery but may cover whatever else is wrong with it.

If anyone has been in this situation I need suggestions as the best way to get the Karma out of the garage onto the street or what I might due to get the car fully started.

Sam
Dont disconnect the APM and you can use the fuse box connection for the positive termanl and the APM for the ground

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
@Harley... I replaced the 12VDC battery with an exact replacement form Batteries + here. I was amazed at the size of the battery. I always assumed the 12v demand was minimal since the HV is used to start the ICE.. Why is the 12V so large. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
@Harley... I replaced the 12VDC battery with an exact replacement form Batteries + here. I was amazed at the size of the battery. I always assumed the 12v demand was minimal since the HV is used to start the ICE.. Why is the 12V so large. Thanks.
Remember a battery does more then just start a gas engine . Battery also needs to help run all the 12 volt systems in any car the same things happens in a Karma other the starting of the engine .

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts

Sam
Proud to say Sams car is back up and running sent him my laptop and performed a remote takeover reprogrammed the VCM and his good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Proud to say Sams car is back up and running sent him my laptop and performed a remote takeover reprogrammed the VCM and his good to go.
Well done! Creatively tenacious, as always. :exclamation::thumbup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Fisker is Back

My Fisker was down for two weeks in my garage in Detroit and Harleyguy remotely worked his magic and about 15 mins like the Phoenix The Fisker rose from the dead.

He instructed me on how to replace the 12 volt battery and I drove it out of the garage onto the street where I replaced the 12 volt battery. Easy Peazy!!!!

Our FedEx your laptop back tomorrow. Job well done. Thank you much.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
My Fisker was down for two weeks in my garage in Detroit and Harleyguy remotely worked his magic and about 15 mins like the Phoenix The Fisker rose from the dead.
I love this community.

Adam, you rock.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Replace 12 Volt Battery

He instructed me on how to replace the 12 volt battery and I drove it out of the garage onto the street where I replaced the 12 volt battery. Easy Peazy!!!!

Our FedEx your laptop back tomorrow. Job well done. Thank you much.

Sam
How did you contact the Harleyguy? I have same issue with 12 v. battery.
Alexofsb

1 - 20 of 25 Posts