Aston Martin Vantage - Ripoff? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2018, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Default Aston Martin Vantage - Ripoff?

I was just watching "The Grand Tour" (aka the real Top Gear) and they showed the new Aston Martin Vantage - immediately I noticed that the rear end was very similar to the eMotion - however, it seems like I was not the first to make this observation:

https://insideevs.com/new-aston-mart...isker-emotion/

Didn't AM sue Henrik a while back?

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrowell View Post
I was just watching "The Grand Tour" (aka the real Top Gear) and they showed the new Aston Martin Vantage - immediately I noticed that the rear end was very similar to the eMotion - however, it seems like I was not the first to make this observation:

https://insideevs.com/new-aston-mart...isker-emotion/

Didn't AM sue Henrik a while back?
Aston Martin sent a cease-and-desist letter to Henrik based on initial sketches of the Force-1. Henrik then sued AM over sending the letter. AM wisely backed off and the suit was quietly dismissed shortly thereafter. Link.

A lot of people have made note of the similarity between the back of the Vantage and that of the E-Moiton. HF does not seem to be too bothered, however.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

IDK, I guess all those rear ends start looking the same after a while! Fisker definitely has a consistent aesthetic. No doubt influenced by his time at AM. But yes, those rear tail lights along the trunk line are pretty darned close! But then recall that every Fisker design likes "skinny" taillights, gong back 15 years. Emotion, Karma, Force10, Tramonto, Latigo, Z8.

I'd say both the Vantage and the Emotion were influenced by the DB10, which was revealed in 2014 or so. I could argue the DB10 stole the Henrik Fisker skinny-taillight look!

Dave_Car_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)

The thin rear lights are pretty common these days, thanks to the switch to LED lighting. What is more distinctive, IMHO, is the Red LED unibrow panning across the edge of the boot, and combining the taillights and the center brake light into a single continuous light ribbon. This, combined with the shape of the rear window, to my casual eye, seem pretty distinctive, and would confuse the heck out of me if I were following the Aston Martin.

Maybe this is common enough in cars that it has lost its distinctiveness and HF does not seem to be bothered, or maybe he is waiting for the design patents to issue before taking it up with AM. Either way, it’s up to him to do something, or not.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 01-14-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote