Fisker Cancels Graphene Battery Plans for EMotion - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Default Fisker Cancels Graphene Battery Plans for EMotion

Check out: http://www.hybridcars.com/fisker-can...i-ion/?ref=yfp
2012 Karma EcoSport Inferno/Canyon #1188
1966 Pontiac LeMans Sprint, Propane Powered
marswill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage

Over promise under deliver.
Lovely Laguna Blue EcoSport Black Sand Monotone #2655
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomak View Post
Over promise under deliver.
That's too harsh, IMHO. There is nothing wrong with swinging for the fences, even if all you get is a single.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)

Hopefully they are successful.. it seems like many of the articles about the technology do not make much sense and are specs that electric bus manufacturers use.

Further the nomenclature used seems to be that of an off-shore engineering team rather than the terms used by people based in the US (i.e. NCM vs NMC). Pretty telling. Hope he is successful with his project, but this will burn a lot of capital especially since he is relying on large suppliers for much of the technology in his vehicle. The lack of vertical integration is what killed Fisker Automotive the first time around.

If it is delivered at all I would be surprised. Building a car takes an enormous amount of money and sourcing from large suppliers takes even more money to build a car. Who is the backing behind Fisker Inc? once that is known their chances of success will become apparent.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Getting weirder and weirder henrik claims he will have autonomous 4 by launch.. who is his partner? Mobileye? We use Mobileye for our ADAS they are nowhere near that and we just were at intel last weekend...fishy
I just don't see it we use LG cells in our packs that we put into Karma's- but large format which are much easier and safer to manage. HF is claiming he can manage 7000+ cells. Sorry but I doubt that he has that capability unless he has 100m in venture money backing him- which is unlikely at this point.

At the end of the day I am hopeful he is successful but from knowing the realities of the industry and doing things on the cheap but high quality we know exactly the bare minimum required to bring a product to market. Either HF has hundreds of millions in the bank or is overzealous in his claims. We shall see but walking back some of the promises this early on is not very awe inspiring.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Default What Do You Guys Think of Lucid Air

PowerSource

I've been watching Lucid Air and I like what I've seen so far and would like your opinion as well as others.

My only problem with Henrik Fisker is his enthusiasm seem to get the best of him. His excitement leads him to over promise and under delivery.

Lucid Air on the other hand seems to be making great progress and may be able to deliver on most of what they promise.

What do you thing?

Launch Edition
● The first 255 customer cars will be Launch Edition cars
● 315-mile range
● 1,000 horsepower, all-wheel drive
● 0-60mph in 2.5 seconds
● Autonomous driving hardware
● 21-inch Lucid-design wheels
● Upgraded audio system
● Unique colors and badging
● Pricing: over $100,000

Sam
scurry1074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lucid is legitimate and the furthest along but in terms of manufacturing I don't see Lucid being able to scale up that quickly. Their proof of concept is great but manufacturing a prototype is a completely different animal and it will be interesting to see if they can scale in that manner. Right now they are looking for $$ for their factory and to manufacture but going from prototype to production is a huge step and requires tons of capital. Anyone can produce a prototype, producing one that can be manufactured cost effectively is a whole another issue. Rooting for lucid but they need some $$$$ to start the process.

IMO I think these guys are going about it the wrong way, there are much cheaper ways to manufacture cars but all of them seem to want a big sexy factory where they produce cars. We have some ideas on how to produce them without a million square foot facility and I think it is important to produce a car and get it to market before wasting a bunch of money on sunk costs with regards to a large factory- especially for low volume.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

PowerSource

You raise an some excellent points. It seems ridiculous to invest Hugh amounts of capital for a manufacturing facility. That can come later once the market develops. A streamline approach with a small facility using the same sophisticated manufacturing processes would seem like the way to go.

A small facility can be strategically scaled up to a large facility when warranted but once the cash has been sunk into a large facility It will take bankruptcy to scale back.

Most people forget that Tesla was within weeks of running out cash and came close to bankruptcy and it was only by a miracle that they survived.

Elon Musk said "I think we just made it by the skin of our teeth" "as early as 2013, we were operating with maybe one to two weeks of money". Musk described the company (Tesla) as facing imminent death.

Lucid Air and other electric start-ups should take lessons that small, lean and mean is good.

Sam
scurry1074 is offline   Reply With Quote