E-motion at Apple - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Default E-motion at Apple

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/n...-11564349.html

-Hans

2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tri-Tone Interior #0888
hansu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansu1 View Post
Very odd that there are only two photos of the car and none of the interior. Also, wonder why a (presumably) non-running model was just left at a parking space in the Apple HQ. If this were a publicity stunt, it was not a particularly good one since the only reporting appears to be from an obscure German auto website, rather than from the local press in Cupertino.

If anyone runs into pictures from social media from the public, please link them here.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Not likely a "publicity stunt", but what i do know is that Henrik had invited a number of people to a meeting and a viewing of the car at the Rosewood Hotel in Palo Alto on Sandhill Rd. It was in the area and so why not visit Apple? Photos were likely not allowed, which is why the bootleg ones only showed up on an obscure German site.

Dave_Car_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
Not likely a "publicity stunt", but what i do know is that Henrik had invited a number of people to a meeting and a viewing of the car at the Rosewood Hotel in Palo Alto on Sandhill Rd. It was in the area and so why not visit Apple? Photos were likely not allowed, which is why the bootleg ones only showed up on an obscure German site.
I can only assume that is not a working car and has to be transported on the back of a truck. To truck it from the Rosewood hotel to Apple in Cupertino, with no meeting or appointment scheduled, is, IMHO, the very definition of a publicity stunt. Except that here, it turned out to be a no-publicity stunt because no one covered it and there were no photos of the event.

But Henrik deserved credit for creative thinking and unbounded chutzpah.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Old 06-29-2017, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
I can only assume that is not a working car and has to be transported on the back of a truck. To truck it from the Rosewood hotel to Apple in Cupertino, with no meeting or appointment scheduled, is, IMHO, the very definition of a publicity stunt. Except that here, it turned out to be a no-publicity stunt because no one covered it and there were no photos of the event.

But Henrik deserved credit for creative thinking and unbounded chutzpah.
I think maybe you missed my subtle point. Not a publicity stunt. But the fact that he was at the Rosewood Hotel on Sandhill should tell you about the nature of the visit up here. And the fact that the guys whose offices on Sand Hill are not the only guys with money and interest in EVs should tell you why he might want to drag the car to Apple. If he wanted press, he would have asked for it. He didn't. Am I still being too subtle? ;-)

Dave_Car_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Dave, Fishing for VC money? business partner?
JAM_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
I think maybe you missed my subtle point. Not a publicity stunt. But the fact that he was at the Rosewood Hotel on Sandhill should tell you about the nature of the visit up here. And the fact that the guys whose offices on Sand Hill are not the only guys with money and interest in EVs should tell you why he might want to drag the car to Apple. If he wanted press, he would have asked for it. He didn't. Am I still being too subtle? ;-)
No, not too subtle. I do get it; two of my former firms had offices on Sand Hill road, and I know what goes on there. Let's hope all of this maneuvering will result in something because I would love to see that car built and put on sale.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

obscure German site???? auto-motor-und-sport is one of the oldest (1946) most respected car magazines in Germany. If you piss them off, you don't sell in German-speaking countries. They rank right below the TUV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_motor_und_sport

tough kraut you are. 8)

-Hans

2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tri-Tone Interior #0888
hansu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)

From the German article (and that German mag is not at all obscure - major league) and HF's tweet, it suggests that he met with Apple folks. Maybe it is all smoke and mirrors, but the car does have some form of propulsion (see http://fiskerinc.com/ for the video) at least. I'm willing to believe that there's substance here, in full acknowledgement that marketing is the most important force in nature (which is the only reason that the iPhone is still so popular - something HF recognizes, probably, which is why he visited Apple ). Not sure I'll be putting down my $2k just yet though...

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Audi Q7 Prestige : Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansu1 View Post
obscure German site???? auto-motor-und-sport is one of the oldest (1946) most respected car magazines in Germany. If you piss them off, you don't sell in German-speaking countries. They rank right below the TUV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_motor_und_sport

tough kraut you are. 8)
Please pass my Entschuldigungen to the Reisch Motor website. I guess I am not reading enough German Motoring Magazines. But my point (more artfully stated) was that if Henrik is trying to create frisson in the US about the EMotion, posting the news of the Apple visit (which appears to be a big-ish deal) to the Das Auto website may not have been the most efficient approach. Plus, it is hard to believe that a whole host of close-up photos of the car did not pop up on social media right after the event.

Not really a tough kraut, just skeptical.

Last edited by Fabulist; 07-03-2017 at 05:14 PM.