Fisker Buzz Forums banner

Concern about white sand finish

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  MyColorIsGreen 
#1 ·
Just had my car washed for the second time today and it appears that regular grime that was kicked up by the tires has "stained" the finish. It would not come off with regular washing or even a light clay treatment. I'm concerned the finish may be somewhat porous, I am planning to talk to the dealer about this in the morning and was wondering if anyone else noticed any thing like this on a white or other light colored car.
BillyO

#2 ·
BillyO said:
Just had my car washed for the second time today and it appears that regular grime that was kicked up by the tires has "stained" the finish. It would not come off with regular washing or even a light clay treatment. I'm concerned the finish may be somewhat porous, I am planning to talk to the dealer about this in the morning and was wondering if anyone else noticed any thing like this on a white or other light colored car.
BillyO
It may not be "regular grime" but rather chips in the paint. I have Eclipose/Black and within 2 weeks I had an unbelievable amount of chips in the paint on the back of the rear doors and fender. You may want to consider a clear bra if they are paint chips

#3 ·
I just found the same thing on my Eclipse today. The rear doors and fender are already speckled with spots. Looks horrible, but only if you know it's there. As soon as possible I'm going to have the clear bra extended to cover the entire door and rear fender area. I am truly shocked at how much damage has occurred already.

#4 ·
On a similar note but different, I am curious what special cleaning instructions there are on these. I have earth color and with the recycled glass in it I was told by the dealer not to pressure wash or use wax on it, just curious what you all know about cleaning the car

#6 ·
BillyO said:
BillyO
This may sound basic, but if it's a design flaw from front wheel kick by, maybe we need little mudflats like my Aston rapide ?

#7 ·
tyler said:
On a similar note but different, I am curious what special cleaning instructions there are on these. I have earth color and with the recycled glass in it I was told by the dealer not to pressure wash or use wax on it, just curious what you all know about cleaning the car
There is NO reason why you can't wax the car I actually Detail cars as a hobby and I don't mean just wash and wax jobs some details take up to 25 hours just to remove Swirls from the paint caused by bad was techniques or car wash machines . Anyway wax is fine pressure washer isn't a good idea since the windows are sealed by just the seal against them the window isn't in a fix track so a pressure washer can force water into the car past the seal also when you use a pressure washer you have to be care full of rocks from the ground flying up only uselow pressure washer like the ones from Karcher

#9 ·
ixtractm said:
BillyO said:
BillyO
It may not be "regular grime" but rather chips in the paint. I have Eclipose/Black and within 2 weeks I had an unbelievable amount of chips in the paint on the back of the rear doors and fender. You may want to consider a clear bra if they are paint chips
Nope. It's not chipped just stained like coffee on teeth or something it seem to have penetrated the finish. I will consider clear bra but I have to find a way remove the stains first.

#10 ·
BillyO said:
ixtractm said:
BillyO said:
BillyO
Nope. It's not chipped just stained like coffee on teeth or something it seem to have penetrated the finish. I will consider clear bra but I have to find a way remove the stains first.
You may want to try some "gentle" (clearcoat safe) tar remover in a small area, to see if that removes the stain. Then, after it's clean, wax over it. The tar remover will remove the wax finish, but shouldn't harm the clearcoat.

#11 ·
BillyO said:
The one I have ordered is white....keep us posted on what you find.

#12 ·
tyler said:
I have already waxed mine using a DA polisher and it came out great! No reason not to wax. [hr]
BillyO said:
ixtractm said:
BillyO said:
BillyO
If you think the problem is in the paint as opposed to on the paint, you can try a mild abrasive like Meguiar's swirl remover and see if there's any improvement.

#13 ·
Ixtractm, could you please post pics of your Eclipse/Black Karma's rear door and fenders showing the paint chips? I'm concerned about this potential problem. Based on the Xpel website, it doesn't look like they make pre-cut clear bra kits for the rear doors and fenders of the Karma.

#15 ·
BillyO said:
Hey...Any update on your paint.

#16 ·
lowpue said:
BillyO said:
I took it in to the dealer last week and got it back on Friday. The body shop service manager said the stains were the result of the paint not being fully cured. He said he had seen the same thing on Cadillacs in the past. They were able to polish out the stains and I had the clear bra applied to the front bumper, partial hood, rockers, mirrors and partial fenders yesterday. It looks fine now.
BillyO

#17 ·
lowpue said:
BillyO said:

I'm also getting a White Karma delivered soon (mid Apr).
As soon as I pick it up I will get it detailed (Klay & Sealed) that will keep anything off the white car and make that paint POP like a sheet of glass.
Highly Recommended.

#18 ·
BillyO said:
lowpue said:
BillyO said:
I took it in to the dealer last week and got it back on Friday. The body shop service manager said the stains were the result of the paint not being fully cured. He said he had seen the same thing on Cadillacs in the past. They were able to polish out the stains and I had the clear bra applied to the front bumper, partial hood, rockers, mirrors and partial fenders yesterday. It looks fine now.
BillyO
Did you take it to Frank Kent? I'm thinking about doing something similar to mine and have been contemplating how to proceed.

#19 ·
BillyO said:
lowpue said:
BillyO said:
BillyO
Hey BillyO...one other question....what kind of clear bra did you get....I have seen 3M and it appears yellow....that is what I have on my Porsche which is Gray and doesn't show. Did you get something other than 3m. Also, why wouldn't the paint be cured...is that a manufacturing flaw....if they polished it away, would that not mean you lost your clearcoat? Hopefully this curing problem has been fixed on the later cars. Thanks in advance.

#20 ·
lowpue said:
BillyO said:
lowpue said:
BillyO said:
BillyO
Hey BillyO...one other question....what kind of clear bra did you get....I have seen 3M and it appears yellow....that is what I have on my Porsche which is Gray and doesn't show. Did you get something other than 3m. Also, why wouldn't the paint be cured...is that a manufacturing flaw....if they polished it away, would that not mean you lost your clearcoat? Hopefully this curing problem has been fixed on the later cars. Thanks in advance.
I used the Xpel product and it's very difficult to detect. My car had been delivered 2 weeks before the stains showed up. The explanation the service manager gave was that the cars are transported in closed carriers and sometimes that results in the paint not curing entirely, I thought the finish was baked on or otherwise totally cured before leaving the factory but I guess it needs additional time to air dry. I'm sure the polishing takes some clear coat. I have an Escalade that is 9 years old and has been polished many times over the years and still looks fine so I believe it's a microscopic layer.
BillyO

#21 ·
If you look at my CLS here
http://www.mercedespro.com/

you will see the factory white vinyl on the rear door due to the same issue mercedes had with the cars...

I will get a template made and get a bunch of them made for sale on my fiskerpro site.. haha its easy enough for self application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.