Another solar roof powered car? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Default Another solar roof powered car?

This time they claim it's gonna charge the car's HV battery.. good luck seems like it's going to stay a concept for a while.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/02/f...ergi-concept-/
P90XMC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P90XMC2 View Post
This time they claim it's gonna charge the car's HV battery.. good luck seems like it's going to stay a concept for a while.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/02/f...ergi-concept-/
It's hard to imagine that you can get enough power out of four small PV panels on the roof of a car to charge the HV battery. I have the entire roof of my house covered with PV panels and they can barely supply enough power for the Karma's anemic 3.3 KW charger.

On the other hand, if you could tow one of these behind your car, it may be possible to charge the car using solar panels on the go. And when you stop for the night, you can use the wind turbine.

Photo Credit: @Marswill (the owner of the Inferno Karma in the shot) via this post.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 01-02-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage

Classic Fab! I think a Geo Thermal unit would finish the resource centre but not your portable needs. I use Geo Thermal for home heating and cooling and can't understand why more folks do not go this route. Karma applications look a bit remote
fiskerjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage

well, this video in the article exposes the "catch" http://gizmodo.com/fords-new-solar-p...lin-1493266629
P90XMC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskerjim View Post
Classic Fab! I think a Geo Thermal unit would finish the resource centre but not your portable needs. I use Geo Thermal for home heating and cooling and can't understand why more folks do not go this route. Karma applications look a bit remote
Even better than geothermal: tide power.

Geothermal is a great solution but fairly expensive to implement and you need a minimum spread between the ground temperature and the average air temperature to make it viable financially. You also need to be able to use it for both heating and cooling. I looked into getting it here in San Francisco, but since it almost never gets warm enough here to have to use the cooling side, it was not really economically viable.

I got a solar PV system instead which has turned out to be a great decision, particularly since when I got the Karma.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Old 01-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
Even better than geothermal: tide power.

Geothermal is a great solution but fairly expensive to implement and you need a minimum spread between the ground temperature and the average air temperature to make it viable financially. You also need to be able to use it for both heating and cooling. I looked into getting it here in San Francisco, but since it almost never gets warm enough here to have to use the cooling side, it was not really economically viable.

I got a solar PV system instead which has turned out to be a great decision, particularly since when I got the Karma.
Fab, up here in Canada, the payback on our heating costs ( read winter) was 3 years and now $4300 per year in savings. The geothermal is most efficient at cooling which is a lesser need in our shorter summers. What were capital costs for the solar PV system and the company whose solar system you used? txs
Old 01-05-2014, 03:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskerjim View Post
Fab, up here in Canada, the payback on our heating costs ( read winter) was 3 years and now $4300 per year in savings. The geothermal is most efficient at cooling which is a lesser need in our shorter summers. What were capital costs for the solar PV system and the company whose solar system you used? txs
Our weather here is mild year-round and our Natural gas bill for heating, cooking, and hot water is less than $100/month. It would take decades to pay back the cost of a Geothermal system.

My PV system was designed and installed in 2008, so it's not exactly state-of-the-art today. It consists of 18 x 205W Sanyo panels and a Xentrex grid-tied inverter. After incentives and tax refunds, it came to around $25K. It saves us about $2K/year in electricity cost. I very recently switched to a new non-tiered rate from the local utility that is going to be cheaper overall, but will reduce the impact of the PV solar generation as well. Overall, I am pretty happy that we have the system, more for reducing our CO2 impact than the savings.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
Our weather here is mild year-round and our Natural gas bill for heating, cooking, and hot water is less than $100/month. It would take decades to pay back the cost of a Geothermal system.

My PV system was designed and installed in 2008, so it's not exactly state-of-the-art today. It consists of 18 x 205W Sanyo panels and a Xentrex grid-tied inverter. After incentives and tax refunds, it came to around $25K. It saves us about $2K/year in electricity cost. I very recently switched to a new non-tiered rate from the local utility that is going to be cheaper overall, but will reduce the impact of the PV solar generation as well. Overall, I am pretty happy that we have the system, more for reducing our CO2 impact than the savings.
Thanks Fab. Happy motoring.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

And I think systems have gotten a fair bit cheaper in the last 5Y as well (at least in Calif). Def worth considering.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
EV Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy View Post
And I think systems have gotten a fair bit cheaper in the last 5Y as well (at least in Calif). Def worth considering.
I got mine in 2011 and the cost was very reasonable. My system has 24 235W Sharp panels. I did it on a 30 year lease but paid it all up front which was $13K. The advantage of a lease is that the solar company will track the performance of the system and provide necessary services at no additional cost. You can also check the performance of your system online. In my case, the payback is around 6 to 7 years.