BMW i3 - 0-60 in 7.0s, 124 mile range! - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Default Bmw i3

Finally a car with 100 miles of EV range and a range extender. Not a fan of the looks but this thing is an engineering marvel.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...#axzz2Z8o1pATS
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Default BMW i3 - 0-60 in 7.0s, 124 mile range!

... And it weighs just 2800lbs!

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/07/15/201...&ts=1373904881
Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ya know, other than the 0-60, that's not too bad. It's priced nicely -- below the volt, with just under 4x the EV range and above the leaf, but not by much, and adding a useful 50 miles of range. It's not horrible looking either
AnOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
Ya know, other than the 0-60, that's not too bad. It's priced nicely -- below the volt, with just under 4x the EV range and above the leaf, but not by much, and adding a useful 50 miles of range. It's not horrible looking either
I agree with everything you said, except the part about it not being horrible looking. Looks like a frog who has just been shanked in prison. Not a good look.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

the i8 looks good but i think i3 looks horribly

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

I think the i3 looks fine. It's like an X0.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
I agree with everything you said, except the part about it not being horrible looking. Looks like a frog who has just been shanked in prison. Not a good look.
Going to have to frame an amphibian, then set up his incarcerated demise before I can agree.

Seriously though, going by the leaf and some other funky things, it's not bad. Definitely better than that Mercedes B or whatever it was. Looks roomier than a Prius V as well.
AnOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Had a chance to speak to my local dealer about this car and they were surprisingly informed about the i3. Long of the short is the range extender is not intended to be used frequently or for long distances- it is basically an emergency countermeasure to get to the next EV recharge station. This is kinda silly IMO you get the drawbacks of carrying around an ICE in an EV with none of the major benefits (i.e. driving normally until it is convenient to plug in again).
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage

i3 was the car we were planning to buy before the Karma became affordable, and I watched every update closely, but when I showed my wife the production spy shots, she changed her mind (concept car with all the glass on the door and hatch looked great, but much was lost along the way).

Now that we will have a charging station anyway, we are still considering trading my 2011 5-series for an i3, but I think I'll hold off on being among the first in line. The looks are really "like it or hate it".
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
i3 was the car we were planning to buy before the Karma became affordable, and I watched every update closely, but when I showed my wife the production spy shots, she changed her mind (concept car with all the glass on the door and hatch looked great, but much was lost along the way).

Now that we will have a charging station anyway, we are still considering trading my 2011 5-series for an i3, but I think I'll hold off on being among the first in line. The looks are really "like it or hate it".
SAme here .. Except I bought a 5 Hybrid. Did not buy it to save the planet (I am doing that with the Fisker). Bought it to satisfy my engineering curiosity on how things work in real life as I do not believe much of what journalists think of the cars they drive. Love the car but I think the I3 is where the Electric car world will go for a few years until the infrastructure is ready for the Electric car. Drive just about everywhere and buy a 5,000 dollar ICE anxiety insurance if you need it. Tesla will not be far behind offering a similar option. It makes too much sense to ignore.
Makis is offline   Reply With Quote