TOM Questions and General Upgrade - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default TOM Questions and General Upgrade

Hi all,

I know you guys are busy and probably get tons of questions...but I have a few if you don't mind. I have been thinking of purchasing a Fisker for a few years off and on and I got the bug again recently. I am currently looking at a few candidates. I have some questions regarding TOM and upgrades:

1) I understand the 520 is the better choice of software to use. How do I determine which software a potential car has? Assuming they are all updated, how easy is it to revert back? Is that a software change I can do or do I have to take it to a shop?

2) Where is PwrSource with respect to the battery upgrades?

3) Any other upgrades available regarding inverters and such.

4) Lastly, I found a very cheap Karma that is in fantastic condition with only 10K miles. However, it is showing a P0A27 and P0A29 code. Apparently, not drivable. Is this something that is potentially an easy fix or should I steer clear? If purchased, what price would you say is reasonable for this "problem" car?

I'm a fairly handy guy with respect to cars. I've done all my own work on my BMW i3. Purchasing a "project" is not a problem as I like to tinker. Assuming it's not a "Brick".

Thanks for any answers/ insight you may have.
chemicool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

At auction, cars in good condition are selling for $29,000. You should offer $9,000 because you are going to spend $20,000 to get this problem car in great shape.
battery module replaced, contactor replaced, RDM rebuilt, parking sensors replaced, engine air conditioning tuned, software upgrade, new tires, fluids changed, detailing, insurance issues, etc.
good luck with this one.
jjayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicool View Post
Hi all,

I know you guys are busy and probably get tons of questions...but I have a few if you don't mind. I have been thinking of purchasing a Fisker for a few years off and on and I got the bug again recently. I am currently looking at a few candidates. I have some questions regarding TOM and upgrades:

1) I understand the 520 is the better choice of software to use. How do I determine which software a potential car has? Assuming they are all updated, how easy is it to revert back? Is that a software change I can do or do I have to take it to a shop?

2) Where is PwrSource with respect to the battery upgrades?

3) Any other upgrades available regarding inverters and such.

4) Lastly, I found a very cheap Karma that is in fantastic condition with only 10K miles. However, it is showing a P0A27 and P0A29 code. Apparently, not drivable. Is this something that is potentially an easy fix or should I steer clear? If purchased, what price would you say is reasonable for this "problem" car?

I'm a fairly handy guy with respect to cars. I've done all my own work on my BMW i3. Purchasing a "project" is not a problem as I like to tinker. Assuming it's not a "Brick".

Thanks for any answers/ insight you may have.
1) No easy way to tell unless the owner knows. A service center can do it and my understanding is it is not hard and takes several hours. I know my upgrades were free, but not sure if they charge for downgrades.

2) DM him or go to: http://pwr-source.com/

3) I wouldn't mess with the car unless you send it to FiskerPhilly

4) I wouldn't want the headache and honestly you need the Fisker tools to work on these cars. You would be better off sending to FiskerPhilly and crossing your fingers. I would not do it or want the headache and sleepless nights. Buy one that is reliable and has a good history that fits your budget.

There is only so much you can do yourself without the proper software and tools. I have read to many nightmare stories, but I default to guys who actually work on them. If you really want to buy one of these beauties, buy one you know is good and enjoy it.
For Sale $35k rare Laguna Blue EcoSport Black Sand Monotone #2655
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I’ve been trying to get in touch with Ken at Pwr Source for months and he hasn’t to email or DM so not sure what’s going on but I’d be very cautious about spending money in that direction.
Joshheppner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just read your post. I’ve been doing similar for the past month. It looks like you and I have gone down the exact same path with everything. So you must have been looking at that one in Chicago? Right?

Also, PowerSource won’t return calls etc.

Except fortunately or unfortunately I ended up buying that FK in Chicago on Monday, and I am shipping it to California for repair.

It has a short sordid history, but seems like a worthwhile investment. I’ll let you know how it goes.

PS. I don’t know if you actually got a chance to see the vehicle. But it is a creampuff. The paint is perfect with interior is perfect and it was owned by a multimillionaire in California who almost never drove it. I have his info as well, including all service history records. Honestly, there’s only a couple of small things that can be wrong with it, as it received a brand new high-voltage battery pack last year. We should have it figured out in about two weeks.
Fixsker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshheppner View Post
I’ve been trying to get in touch with Ken at Pwr Source for months and he hasn’t to email or DM so not sure what’s going on but I’d be very cautious about spending money in that direction.
He responds on his instagram account sometimes.....🙆‍♂️&#x 1f937;‍♂️ Seems like there’s some hope for the FK on the west coast. However be very cautious.
Deep Ocean/Earth Tri-Tone Eco-Chic VIN#1506 May Good Karma Be With U Always!
HybridFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

PS. I don’t know if you actually got a chance to see the vehicle. But it is a creampuff. The paint is perfect with interior is perfect and it was owned by a multimillionaire in California who almost never drove it. I have his info as well, including all service history records. Honestly, there’s only a couple of small things that can be wrong with it, as it received a brand new high-voltage battery pack last year. We should have it figured out in about two weeks.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a sweet deal with a fresh HV battery pack. 😌
Deep Ocean/Earth Tri-Tone Eco-Chic VIN#1506 May Good Karma Be With U Always!
HybridFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Funny things about Fiskers... you just never know if you got a good deal until something fails. 🤣
Fixsker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

When you buy a Fisker Karma, you rather buy a late one vs an early one.
If the VIN number is above 2000, and you have a Fisker expert in your area with access to the neccassry programs, software and parts. Specially battery parts. Then you could consider it. But be sure to put another 10k to 20k$ aside.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote