Dash Cam Installation - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Default Dash Cam Installation

After some catatonic moron pulled out in front of me yesterday, causing some very heavy braking (thank you Brembo), I thought I should look into a front facing dash cam that records in a loop continuously, just in case I have an insurance claim in the future (Florida drivers, amazingly, seem even less skilled than Californian drivers).

Ideally, I'd like to hook a dash cam to the power in the rearview mirror, to avoid long unsightly wires.

Any thoughts?

Simon

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Audi Q7 Prestige : Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)

https://www.amazon.com/TENNBOO-170%C...PBC7JQMVCKP7HE
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
kru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'd be very interested to see a build that can hook a dash cam into the wiring for the rearview mirror. Right now I have my dashcam wire snaked along the passenger A pillar, under the glove compartment and into the charger in the center storage area. I've managed to hide and blend the cable pretty well, since my interior is the same color as the cable (black), but it does pop loose every few months and need to be tucked back in.
kru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

There is a power connection at the rear view mirror for the Homelink system and for the automatic mirror dipping function. The dashcam uses a 12V power plug. If the power available at the mirror is enough for the dashcam, it should be pretty easy to splice in the power cord to the existing power line at the mirror.

One possible complication is that there is something that looks like a sensor on the back (non-mirror side) of the housing that may control something like the headlights or the dash. Would anything stop working if the existing rear view mirror is removed? Does anyone know?

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
There is a power connection at the rear view mirror for the Homelink system and for the automatic mirror dipping function. The dashcam uses a 12V power plug. If the power available at the mirror is enough for the dashcam, it should be pretty easy to splice in the power cord to the existing power line at the mirror.

One possible complication is that there is something that looks like a sensor on the back (non-mirror side) of the housing that may control something like the headlights or the dash. Would anything stop working if the existing rear view mirror is removed? Does anyone know?
2012 cars just use generic gentex rear view mirror with homelink a standalone system. The sensor is just for the mirror so it knows when its dark. The main twilight sensor for the car is on the dash (round shaped thing in the middle). Standard issue GM rearview mirrors produced by gentex. The new Revero variant is the same thing just frameless. Gentex makes others which are plug and play.

There are many replacement mirrors out there that act as dashcams, even ones with full blown android operating systems.

like this (quick search of amazon)
https://www.amazon.com/DS18-SMARTEAG...+mirror+camera

Can even get all google apps on it like google maps, navigation etc. Some of them are glitchy but for the price worth it if you are into those things. Brandmotion also has some cool stuff.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
2012 cars just use generic gentex rear view mirror with homelink a standalone system. The sensor is just for the mirror so it knows when its dark. The main twilight sensor for the car is on the dash (round shaped thing in the middle). Standard issue GM rearview mirrors produced by gentex. The new Revero variant is the same thing just frameless. Gentex makes others which are plug and play.

There are many replacement mirrors out there that act as dashcams, even ones with full blown android operating systems.

like this (quick search of amazon)
https://www.amazon.com/DS18-SMARTEAG...+mirror+camera

Can even get all google apps on it like google maps, navigation etc. Some of them are glitchy but for the price worth it if you are into those things. Brandmotion also has some cool stuff.
So itís possible to splice in the dash camís power cord into the power supply for the mirror?

Also, is there any way to use the back up camera as a video input instead of installing a second camera in the rear of the car?

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
So it’s possible to splice in the dash cam’s power cord into the power supply for the mirror?

Also, is there any way to use the back up camera as a video input instead of installing a second camera in the rear of the car?

There are two power sources for the rear view mirror

One is for the mirror itself and one is for the homelink module within the mirror. You could theoretically create a pig tail at this connector without splicing so it would be reversible. I think it may be better to replace the mirror itself with one that has a built in dash cam. Most dash cam lenses nowadays have a 180 degree view so even moving the mirror itself should not diminish the field of vision captured.

The rear camera uses a LVDS connector, there are other LVDS backup cameras out there that use this connector. Not sure if there is a LVDS to analog Video in convertor or if such a theoretical device would be compatible with CIU.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)

Thank you (especially @PowerSource) for the thoughts here.

I checked out some of the dashcams that double as a new rearview mirror, providing additional features like a web browser and navigation, as well as front (and rear) camera capabilities. If only these were standalone devices that replaced the existing mirror and made use of the existing mount and power supply. Unfortunately, they are mounted as a sandwich to the existing mirror and require a power wire to be routed all over the place. A very messy solution that doesn't do it for me.

On our cars we have the Gentex GNTX-536 mirror. This is a fairly generic mirror that comes in a couple of variations; we have the one without the built-in compass - presumably because we have a compass in the instrument cluster... The world of rearview mirrors seems to be full of wiring and mount incompatibilities, which means that a straight swap for a mirror with a built-in dashcam isn't a possibility. So I think I will see if I can find an inobtrusive dashcam that I can connect to the rearview mirror stem. I will see if I can find something that could leverage the power supply for the rearview mirror. Perhaps something like the Car Guardian that you can see on the YouTube video where the guy who borrowed the car did his pal a favor by putting it through a car wash!

Any concerns about piggy-backing another device on that power supply?

Simon

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Audi Q7 Prestige : Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrowell View Post
Thank you (especially @PowerSource) for the thoughts here.

I checked out some of the dashcams that double as a new rearview mirror, providing additional features like a web browser and navigation, as well as front (and rear) camera capabilities. If only these were standalone devices that replaced the existing mirror and made use of the existing mount and power supply. Unfortunately, they are mounted as a sandwich to the existing mirror and require a power wire to be routed all over the place. A very messy solution that doesn't do it for me.

On our cars we have the Gentex GNTX-536 mirror. This is a fairly generic mirror that comes in a couple of variations; we have the one without the built-in compass - presumably because we have a compass in the instrument cluster... The world of rearview mirrors seems to be full of wiring and mount incompatibilities, which means that a straight swap for a mirror with a built-in dashcam isn't a possibility. So I think I will see if I can find an inobtrusive dashcam that I can connect to the rearview mirror stem. I will see if I can find something that could leverage the power supply for the rearview mirror. Perhaps something like the Car Guardian that you can see on the YouTube video where the guy who borrowed the car did his pal a favor by putting it through a car wash!

Any concerns about piggy-backing another device on that power supply?

Simon

The mirror the 2012 Karma has I believe is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/GENTEX-GENK40.../dp/B002Z600DY

The connector I believe is the Sumitomo 6098-3803 header and Sumitomo 6098-3811 harness

You would have to find the header connector and create an unteriminated pigtail to power your dashcam and connect the other portion to the 6098-3811 connector for the existing rear view mirror

Pin 4 is the switched ignition, pin 3 is constant battery and pin 1 is the ground (you should verify)

Max draw is ~1a at 12v