Karma Clear Roof - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Default Karma Clear Roof

Any interest in a clear roof to replace the solar panel? Makes the cabin a lot more airy and less claustrophobic. If there is enough interest we will also offer a sunshade (similar to Model S). Will be doing this to my own car so I can produce a few more if people are interested. This is the closest you will get to a Sunset!

Last edited by PowerSource; 02-24-2017 at 10:34 PM.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Garage

what are we talking price wise?
Old 11-24-2015, 01:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

relatively complicated swap, we can supply the panel and you can get the headliner wrapping done on your own or we can provide it all. Depends on what you want done as well as your interior color combination.

I am doing this to my personal car and will likely go with a black headliner setup instead of the stock economy gray (poor fitting IMO) currently in the car. Very excited about this and will likely offer only a few roof panels. The interior looks that much more beautiful with this roof.

Pictured is a Canyon headliner setup. My dream Karma is an White EC Earth and if I find one this is the roof setup that will go in it.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
clear roof to replace the solar panel
Is it possible to have a clear roof with the solar panels?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Is it possible to have a clear roof with the solar panels?
You could do a roll-able solar panel that doubles as a sun shade underneath the clear roof. There are a bunch of companies that make this type of panel, we haven't researched them much.

We were thinking about doing three fixed opaque solar panels one at the front windshield threshold, middle b pillar cross beam and c pillar rear boot threshold piece. This would be good for about 75w+

Forgot to mention in the previous post, one added benefit with the clear roof is that the roof ditch moldings will be changed out and it will be possible to have a threaded insert to allow for cross bars and the capability to use a roof rack and/or attachments.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

if I didn't have signature edition I would do this mod. It looks great.
Owner Karma #49 SE,
2013 Chevy Volt
2008 Audi R8 V8
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
ejo3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

Really? The solar panel roof is one of the most popular features that people comment on when I show my car. (And, the cooling fan it supports is nearly essential where I live, but I recognize that wouldn't be universally true.)
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejo3rd View Post
if I didn't have signature edition I would do this mod. It looks great.
Have a Sig too as my daily and I will probably be buried in that Karma. Absolutely love it. @Fabulist convinced me not to change the panel on the Sig but I have a few other candidates like an eclipse, deep ocean, shadow, silver wind and some others, but if going all out will probably do it on a different build where I am content on all aspects of it- hence the White Sand/Earth combo.

Good reason to pickup another Karma like many other members have like @SoCalGuy The Karma is the best all around "road feel" car in this class and I don't think any OEM in this range uses the same type of steering setup Hydraulically Assisted Power Steering (Rack and Pinion). Most are going to pure electric assist which I think feels horrible. Would be curious if the New Karma is going to pure Electric PS or is sticking with the same system? Maybe someone can find out and post here? I digress.

We will keep pushing forward modifications to improve the classic Karma and if/when the new Karma is launched we will integrate high demand improvements from that vehicle into the 2012 vehicles for all to enjoy. If demand warrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorrill View Post
Really? The solar panel roof is one of the most popular features that people comment on when I show my car. (And, the cooling fan it supports is nearly essential where I live, but I recognize that wouldn't be universally true.)
The solar panel powers a cabin fan that really doesn't cool but circulates cabin air. This can be done without the large panel. Like most of the car it is mostly for looks rather than usefulness. A smaller panel could power the fan via SPBC without the need for such a large one. Mainly a design feature. The three panel design referenced above accomplishes the same task as the current opaque contiguous panel. Why not have your cake and eat it too?
Old 12-03-2015, 03:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Deep Ocean in ATL

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)

Looks great. I have one similar in my Audi Q7 -- Full panoramic roof with electric sun shade. In seven years, I have opened the sun shade couple of times at night. I have never driven with the pano roof open. Fortunately, it was no additional cost. Unfortunately its drain system cause some early problems with water getting in the electronics -- it was a service bulletin to change the hose connection, so covered in warranty.

I whether the solar panel is efficient or not, it's a great conversation piece. The cost of making it and buying it is now "sunk". Nice as the replacement looks, I will keep my Karma as is.
AlJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
Any interest in a clear roof to replace the solar panel? Makes the cabin a lot more airy and less claustrophobic. If there is enough interest we will also offer a sunshade (similar to Model S). Will be doing this to my own car so I can produce a few more if people are interested. This is the closest you will get to a Sunset!
Do you also have a outside pic of the car? Showing how the roof looks on it...
Tx
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote