Fisker Buzz Forums

Fisker Buzz Forums

Fisker Buzz Forums (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/)
-   Owners' Garage (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/26-owners-garage/)
-   -   My Fisker Article (https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/26-owners-garage/23186-my-fisker-article.html)

betch23 08-18-2015 09:33 PM

Thats great, I am happy for how long you have been on.

But I think we should let them speak for themselves. They all were all willing to be very vocal, so let's let them speak for themselves.

JCMorrill 08-18-2015 09:37 PM

I totally get why you're frustrated and angry. You have had a horrible experience.

That said, most of us have had a great experience with our cars and really good dealings with the new Fisker. What you have to accept (crappy as it is) is that the company who made your car is gone. And they left a lot of people stranded in their wake. But, the new one who bought the name and the factory equipment, isn't them. None of that management is the same. You can't be mad at the new family who moved in next door because the last owner stole your garbage cans. The new company didn't really owe us anything. They agreed to administer the CSP program which was a part of the the bankruptcy settlement. And, they have lived up to that (and sometimes exceeded it for no other reason than current owners are their best marketing tool). And, they have spent the last 3-4 months quintupling (?) the number of places in the US that you can get service. It's not perfect, yet, but it's way better than it was.

When did you buy your car? It sounds like you bought yours used (as you referenced $2K of CSP money). If that's true, you got a $110K (or more) car at a very cheap price as the market had quickly adjusted to the idea that support would be tough to find. You took a risk (the same one I did, buying my car in January before The New Fisker started operations). Part of that risk was self-warrantying your own car. It kills me that anybody has had a bad experience. It could have been any of us, and it was bound to be some of us. But, it was a risk I understood when I bought. And, things are WAY better now than they were 4 months ago.

Seems like your beef should be with the original Fisker if anybody. And, the people who really have had it bad are original owners whose cars had failed in 2013-2014. They had a "contract" that the original Fisker didn't live up to. (And, that had a lot to do with an Insurance Company not living up to their contract to replace the cars lost in Sandy).

P.S. I have no affiliation with Fisker (old or new) or any Fisker repair shop. I'm just an owner who thinks that the car is something special, and worth a risk. I would never have been able to be involved had they not been half price. So, I feel lucky. I am very sorry about your situation. Get yours fixed, and I know you'll fall in love with it. That's the best advice I can give you.

betch23 08-18-2015 09:47 PM

Thank you but I beleive firmly in Corporate responsibility; the good and the bad, even if bankruptcy occurred.

Throughout all of these posts, I have heard blame thrown toward the old Fisker and the old suppliers. The long and short of it all is when the investors bought Fisker they were aware of the issues. When you buy a company you don't just take the good and not honor the bad; business ethics 101.

My belief is that we all should expect the New Fisker to honor the bad and not just capatilize on the good. While some may be okay with being used in this manner, I don't feel comfortable with usery.

LonePalmBJ 08-18-2015 10:49 PM

I'm an old timer like Sigurd :). Just an owner, not a dealer, mechanic or in any way affiliated with Fisker old or new.

FiskerPhilly 08-19-2015 12:21 AM

Ok, here goes. While I can attest that no one replying here repairs the cars, as you know @betch23 I am, and I have ALWAYS remained impartial to either side here on the forums. Being on the ground level as the guy always delivering the bad news in these situations I have always taken the same stance. When a potential new buyer calls me I tell them the same, do the research and make sure you can afford this car in the event of these failures. These cars are basically prototypes put on the road at a developmental stage. I thoroughly explain the major failures and their cost, they are factual and at this point the blame on their failure has been accepted as new product growing pains and fairly traded for such a unique beautiful car.
Honestly, it is only because of this forum that a new buyer can explore EVERY good and bad about these cars. The second part of my new buyer discussion is to explore this forum IN DEPTH and then call me back with any questions. Most importantly I advise them to never buy a car without getting me or @Harleyguy a VIN first.
Lastly, as these owners felt abandoned by old Fisker, guys like myself and Adam have done what we can to keep the cars roadworthy with little to no parts supply at times. From our point of view we lost all technical and parts support so we felt the same pain. At one point as technicians we would only get paid on what work we produced, meaning we lost countless hundreds of unpaid hours figuring out how to fix hv batteries and rdms. WhIle I may hold Old Fisker responsible for alot of headaches, I can't see how the new company can be held responsible when they are only trying to pick up the pieces and rebuild. Does the new company know of the rdm problem upfront? Yes, however their responsibility is to fix it for the new Karma, not the old. Let's face it if all the used karmas for sale out there carried a factory backed drive train warranty would they be 50 grand?
My 2 cents and I do repair these cars...

Fabulist 08-19-2015 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betch23 (Post 218906)
Thank you but I beleive firmly in Corporate responsibility; the good and the bad, even if bankruptcy occurred.

Throughout all of these posts, I have heard blame thrown toward the old Fisker and the old suppliers. The long and short of it all is when the investors bought Fisker they were aware of the issues. When you buy a company you don't just take the good and not honor the bad; business ethics 101.

My belief is that we all should expect the New Fisker to honor the bad and not just capatilize on the good. While some may be okay with being used in this manner, I don't feel comfortable with usery.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I sincerely hope that it does not require understanding math, in particular the concept of risk. Unlike those of us who paid in excess of $110K from a company that offered a warranty, you bought your car after the company was sold through Bankruptcy. I am not sure what type of research you did, but the Bankruptcy records are all public and have been widely discussed here.

Anyone with even a casual acquaintance with the concept of risk would recognize that the huge discount in the asking price of the Karma represents the risk associated with buying a car without a warranty or support from an established company, as set out very explicitly in the Bankruptcy proceedings, So basically, you want the discount but don't want to live up to the risk when things don't pan out. In short, it's not New Fisker, it's you.

If this is too advanced for you, consider this: even after spending $10K - $20K, to fix the RDM, you will still have a much cheaper Karma that those of us who bought them new.

Finally, don't use a word if you don't know what it means. "Usery" is not a real word. "Usary" is a real word but it means charging excessive interest which has nothing to do with your situation. Either way, you look like a complete idiot (which of course you are not) by using that word.

Stop blaming others for your own ignorance and lucre (real word -- look it up). It's not the end of the world. Get it fixed and enjoy it. The New Fisker owes you nothing.

betch23 08-19-2015 10:13 AM

BTW Fabulist, it is "usury" not "usary". I unfortunately type on my phone which results in typos often due to multi tasking.

Also, you may want to look at this portion of your post: "acquaintence with the cioncept", while you are correcting other's posts.

In the end, while I see many of your points and commend each and every one of you who used intelligence, unbiased opinions and forethought; I believe that there should be a better solution on the part of New Fisker. If you disagree, then pay out all your hard earned money to them. It is really your choice.

If it were me, and I purchased the company, I would issue a recall on specific defective items and make it right. But maybe I think much differently than the rest and try to make ethical decisions.

betch23 08-19-2015 10:30 AM

I can see part of your point Fisker Philly, but buying a company entails the good and the bad. As I mentioned prior, I believe there needs to be some form of copability on the New company. If they are taking the benefit of the old designs, the lessons learned from the prototyping and the supply chain artifacts, then in fairness there should be some reaponsibility taken.

Personally, offering $2k to $5k reimbursement(which why there is a difference between the two, escapes me) does not come remotely close to the $10k-$20k in defective drive train parts.

In my humble opinion, why wouldn't the new company go back to the parts manufacturer and pursue a recall, especially if they are still using their parts?

Again, I would handle this much differently because whether I did or did not buy the company out of Bankruptcy, I believe customers come first and there would be no Fisker without them. I would have long term strategy in place to deal with such issues because it is the ethical decision; a decision that would not entail reimbursing pennies on the dollars.

This maybe why I am not in the Car business because I would stay up all night to figure out how to make this right, even to those of you who that have been less than pleasant.

Antonin 08-19-2015 11:12 AM

I think on one level we feel your pain betch23, on another level everyone points to this forum that has been extremely generous with sharing info (good and bad) on our cars. It is understandable to feel very upset about spending large sum of money to fix what should be working for quite long time (drivetrain), but as many said before me, you have been warned by your diligent research that this car is not for faint-hearted.

Also, you seem to imply that the new company should somehow shelter responsibility for the actions of the old company. I am afraid that this is not how it works in bankruptcy proceedings. Otherwise all the creditors could come and say - hey, you still owe me!

Let's hope that your repair bill is not as high as you are indicating and please note that there are other ticking-bomb problems that might surface (HV battery, display, 12V battery failure, generator failure, etc.). But you know all that, after all you said you did your research so you took calculated risk vs.price - right?

betch23 08-19-2015 11:28 AM

I agree and disagree Antonin.

After years of witnessing sophisticated shuffling and reorganizations of companies, I see this issue haunting Fisker owners in the future. It is concerning that the parts blowing up are from the same location as the parent company...Not sure if that is or is not coincidence.

However, to yourself and those genuine individuals, who were informative and kind, my sincerest Thank You to all.