Under 500 home level 2 charging stations from Bosch - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Garage
Default Under 500 home level 2 charging stations from Bosch

Good price point for those who need one..

http://insideevs.com/bosch-unveils-s...rging-station/
Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

good info. I need a 2nd charging station and couldn't find one for less than $800.00
This one will be available sometime in June.
Mikey43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey43 View Post
good info. I need a 2nd charging station and couldn't find one for less than $800.00
This one will be available sometime in June.
You can also check Clipper Creek they have a sale on them also . www.clippercreek.com
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Also have an extra blink station if anyone wants to buy it. In box never used, same as commercially available on their network. PM me if want to consider it
2012 Ecosport Shadow,Black Sand Monotone, #461
Sportsmeddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin ja View Post
Good price point for those who need one..

http://insideevs.com/bosch-unveils-s...rging-station/
To update this thread, I did purchase the Bosch PowerMax 18Amp and at long last have it installed. There are 3 models of PowerMax, with the lowest being 15Amp (the next 2 tiers are both 30Amp, and the only difference seems to be cord length: 18' and 25'). I was fine with the 18' cord, but wanted the higher amperage for faster charging.

Report: So far so good - unit looks good, is affordable, and most importantly worked, though I haven't timed the speed (which is the best measure of performance). I'll update further as I collect observations.

Good customer service in the ordering/installation process, and the warranty is extended to 3 years if you use a bosch-referred installer.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
To update this thread, I did purchase the Bosch PowerMax 18Amp and at long last have it installed. There are 3 models of PowerMax, with the lowest being 15Amp (the next 2 tiers are both 30Amp, and the only difference seems to be cord length: 18' and 25'). I was fine with the 18' cord, but wanted the higher amperage for faster charging.

Report: So far so good - unit looks good, is affordable, and most importantly worked, though I haven't timed the speed (which is the best measure of performance). I'll update further as I collect observations.

Good customer service in the ordering/installation process, and the warranty is extended to 3 years if you use a bosch-referred installer.
Not 100% sure but the bottle neck as far as charging is the OBCM that controls the charge rate personally I wouldn't of purchased a charger that's not rated to work with the car again that's one area I've never investigated im sure some othe members like 8MPGAVG will chime in
Old 08-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I also wanted to add something why mess with the charge rate.The battery is so fragile to begin with no warranty no batteries available don't you think if the engineers wanted to charge the battery at a higher rate they would of ? I just hope you don't damage the battery or the electrical components inside the battery trust you wont be happy with the cost of repair .I've all ready repaired five batteries in the last three months
Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage

The OBCM will only allow so much current to flow to the batteries, regardless of what the charging station is capable of. The OBCM is limited to 3.3KW while most L2 charging stations (like the public Chargepoint ones in California) are capable of 6.6kw+ (to accommodate cars like the Nissan Leaf)
Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
I also wanted to add something why mess with the charge rate.The battery is so fragile to begin with no warranty no batteries available don't you think if the engineers wanted to charge the battery at a higher rate they would of ? I just hope you don't damage the battery or the electrical components inside the battery trust you wont be happy with the cost of repair .I've all ready repaired five batteries in the last three months
I don't think I understand what you are saying. Are you saying the bosch unit is not at the optimum (or appropriate) charge rate (by the way: its 30amp, not 18). When I ordered from bosch I was asked what vehicle I had, and when I responded "fisker karma", that wasn't flagged in any way as problematic.

This thread is not a new one - why wait until now to raise concerns?

Ps: OBCM? Guess I better crack open my owners manual, because I don't know WTF I'm being told now that I've bought, paid for, and installed the bosch unit.

Last edited by non sequitur; 08-02-2013 at 08:20 PM.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I don't think I understand what you are saying. Are you saying the bosch unit is not at the optimum (or appropriate) charge rate (by the way: its 30amp, not 18). When I ordered from bosch I was asked what vehicle I had, and when I responded "fisker karma", that wasn't flagged in any way as problematic.

This thread is not a new one - why wait until now to raise concerns?

Ps: OBCM? Guess I better crack open my owners manual, because I don't know WTF I'm being told now that I've bought, paid for, and installed the bosch unit.
Most of the level 2 Chargers are capable of charging at 30 A. My Blink unit charges the Fisker at 15 A because that is what the Fisker asks for, but it charges the Model S at 30 A.

So s.b. no problem with the unit you bought.