public charging etiquette - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Default public charging etiquette

Not sure if this is an appropriate item for a new thread but I couldn't really find anything on this subject. That item being of shared charging stations. I've 3 places in my area that I could see myself utilizing. One is a paid chargepoint site (card ordered) and the other two are free municipal locations. The one I would use the most is at the airport. There's special parking areas in each of the lots and as I travel almost every week it would be good to utilize them. However there are not many spots and there is only one charge "hose" for every two spots. Since people park at the airport for multiple days is it considered OK to unplug someones car and plug it into yours if the charger indicates it is done? You only get 4 hrs and if the cars have been sitting for potentially a week or more is that OK to do? I don't need someone getting pissed over a buck of electricity, thats for sure.
iqtpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqtpilot View Post
Not sure if this is an appropriate item for a new thread but I couldn't really find anything on this subject. That item being of shared charging stations. I've 3 places in my area that I could see myself utilizing. One is a paid chargepoint site (card ordered) and the other two are free municipal locations. The one I would use the most is at the airport. There's special parking areas in each of the lots and as I travel almost every week it would be good to utilize them. However there are not many spots and there is only one charge "hose" for every two spots. Since people park at the airport for multiple days is it considered OK to unplug someones car and plug it into yours if the charger indicates it is done? You only get 4 hrs and if the cars have been sitting for potentially a week or more is that OK to do? I don't need someone getting pissed over a buck of electricity, thats for sure.
Does the charger have some sort of indication that the car currently connected is fully charged? I would feel OK about disconnecting a car that is no longer charging, but unplugging a car that is in the middle of a charge is not considered cool.

If the rule is 4 hours and the car has been there a week, it's probably a good chance that the car is fully charged at that point and should be OK to unplug.

If you see the same cars over and over, it may be worth the effort to leave a note and exchange contact information to be able to get in touch if needed. I have asked folks to unplug and replug my car when the charger suddenly stopped working. EV community is generally pretty close-knit and helpful.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote