Introduction & a question - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2021, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Default Introduction & a question

Hello everyone. I've just registered after having browsed some very helpful pages a few times already. I recently acquired a Karma in Zürich (see profile picture), Switzerland. It has been fun thus far barring the lack of heating in stealth mode.

One question I have is about the CEL coming on everytime the car has less than 10kms of charge left and the charge rapidly dropping from around 7kms despite engaging sport mode. I've read this thread https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13...iles-left.html and it seems like my problem is very similar - one cell has given in. Since it is an old thread, is there any update on a solution?

Thank you and looking forward to exploring the forum pages further.
CHFisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHFisker View Post
barring the lack of heating in stealth mode.
This has probably something to do with a broken PTC heater.

The battery drop probably is due to a defective HV battery module. Recently an interesting video series is made about this on Youtube starting at this episode:
B. Surm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Introduction & a question

Thank you. This is very helpful. Remarkably detailed video series. I don't think I'm capable of doing this myself but it helps verify the issue and give an idea of where it might go.

Also, I had read that the lack of heating was just how it was and one simply put it into sport mode and then switched back so the car would heat up. I will look into the heater. That's a bonus learning.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Thank you. This is very helpful. Remarkably detailed video series. I don't think I'm capable of doing this myself but it helps verify the issue and give an idea of where it might go.

Also, I had read that the lack of heating was just how it was and one simply put it into sport mode and then switched back so the car would heat up. I will look into the heater. That's a bonus learning.
Hello in Switzerland!
I have really nice heat driving in stealth mode without engaging sport mode (I also like the idea that the ICE starts up preheated to prevent unnecessary wear during cold starts).

Your PTC heater pump is probably out of order, I would also suggest checking out your electric PTC coolant fluid heater (located underneath the center coolant tank) and the fuse (located under the HV battery).

Wait for car to be cold overnight and start the car in stealth mode… heat to max. Now feel if there is any heat radiating from the rubber hoses underneath the center coolant tank. Your electric PTC coolant fluid heater is high voltage and dangerous, be careful with the power connections and fuse.

Best regards from Sweden!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (29.3 KB, 4 views)
SirCastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks SirCastic.

I'll check after tonight- thanks for the warning (though I've already scheduled to drop it off and get it fixed). I hope it isn't the heater itself.

Seems like quite a bit of work to identify the defective battery module too.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Thanks SirCastic.

I'll check after tonight- thanks for the warning (though I've already scheduled to drop it off and get it fixed). I hope it isn't the heater itself.

Seems like quite a bit of work to identify the defective battery module too.

Well, your HV battery error code will point in the right direction.
I would be surprised if it is more than one defect module sins your car dropping from around 7kms.

Read the error codes and you will probably be able to find out exactly which module in order to be replaced. Probably no need for excessive testing like in Afternoon Garage (by the way, nice and well-made series). However, you will not know which exact cell in which module that is faulty if you are considering repairing the module itself.

You may also try leaving the charger connected for a couple of days (trickle charging takes time), it may be that the modules are out of balance / deviating.
SirCastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

So, yes, I know now that Cell#10 is damaged.

Sadly, I'm not the most capable or equipped to replace it myself. It is fairly expensive to replace. I'm wondering if anyone has heard about a potentially upgraded entire battery pack from pwrsource and Kroyman's (not a joint effort - independently) with higher capacity. Does it make sense to wait for that rather than spend on this?
Old 01-19-2021, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
So, yes, I know now that Cell#10 is damaged.

Sadly, I'm not the most capable or equipped to replace it myself. It is fairly expensive to replace. I'm wondering if anyone has heard about a potentially upgraded entire battery pack from pwrsource and Kroyman's (not a joint effort - independently) with higher capacity. Does it make sense to wait for that rather than spend on this?
Yes, I have read that Kroymans offers a 60 kWh pack with high speed charging, although it's expensive but triples your range. Ask Peter Schaper for the details.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

What is your VIN# by the way? I'm just curious if high VIN# are starting to fail.