Should I buy or run - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Should I buy or run

I am currently looking for a beach car to run around in one or two weekends a month. So mostly the car will be sitting in the garage on charge.
Question for current owners is should I buy or should I run? I love the car, what a beauty. I’ve done a lot of reading and am a bit technical.
However there’s no “real” service company where I reside so .....I am seeking feedback. The car I’m looking at has zero recalls due, no warning lights on and has 535 software upgrade. Any thoughts... buy or run??
Jljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Ultimately it's up to you - any car you look at should be inspected carefully (check out the purchase checklist) but you should be aware that driving a Karma less often (or even one with low mileage) is no guarantee of problem-free ownership. Karma's are temperamental in my opinion, and will punish you for being left un-driven.

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable having no help within a four hour driving radius - putting your car on a transporter to get any work done would probably be over the top (unless you have deep pockets ).

Simon

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrowell View Post
Ultimately it's up to you - any car you look at should be inspected carefully (check out the purchase checklist) but you should be aware that driving a Karma less often (or even one with low mileage) is no guarantee of problem-free ownership. Karma's are temperamental in my opinion, and will punish you for being left un-driven.

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable having no help within a four hour driving radius - putting your car on a transporter to get any work done would probably be over the top (unless you have deep pockets ).

Simon
I drive mine once a week or sometimes every two weeks. In the Winter I keep the car in storage on a trickle charger and plugged in with gas -- but I try to put in some seafoam to help stabilize the fuel. I take it to Fiskerphilly every one or two years. I have TOM installed and 5.20. I have the usual lost settings (seats etc) and have had to reset twice since march 2012 -- During the crisis years, Fiskerphilly did all the RDM work, and other recall items, the cars have managed to stay pretty stable (like most cars - knock on wood).

This last trip to Joe (where he changes the oil and does his multi point diagnostics) on the way home to Virginia, the TOM ER mode did not work as expected - i promptly called Joe and his indicated probably needs to cycled a few times - so I'm confident it's nothing.

Currently I have not been driving it for a bit (traveling), but as stated by Simon, the cars are somewhat fragile and that forces owners to be extra careful - before you BUY, IMO , realize this is more art then car, so make sure your more of a art collector then race car drive and make sure you have the means , otherwise you'll wish you never bought it. ;-)

Old 10-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your post to my question. Certainly appreciate your time. I am defiantly not buying the 5300 lb car for speed. I love the looks and design put into the Karma. Not so on the engineering side but if I can get it to “phillyfisker”what’s his typical backlog? And is there a contact # as I’m new to the Karma world and contacts. However I’ve certainly heard of him “a lot”. Thanks
Old 10-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry, I guess it’s “Fiskerphilly”. I’m learning
Old 10-11-2019, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage

Joe Ferrante 267-210-3986 [email protected]
Signature Car #13, Silver Mirage, Tri-Tone Mohave
buzinvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzinvest View Post
Joe Ferrante 267-210-3986 [email protected]
You can also reach @FiskerPhilly via his website: https://evolutionautosports.com/
Old 10-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Buy Buy Buy!!! It is truly the best car ever constructed!!! I just love mine!!! You will too!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191011_102022_1570820435938.jpg (184.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20191011_105418_1570820451931.jpg (154.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20191011_102623_1570820476533.jpg (158.7 KB, 6 views)
Tigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Tough call. Karmas don’t really like sitting around. If you are going to drive it at least once every couple of weeks, you should be OK, but otherwise, I would look at something less complicated and temperamental.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote