[Merged] About to get my first Fisker Karma. Any success stories out there? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default [Merged] About to get my first Fisker Karma. Any success stories out there?

I just made a deal for a used Fisker being sold at a Karma dealership... apparently Karma will certify the car, but although the deal is done I will only get car on or after March 15, 2919. Now after reading so many horror stories, is there any one out there with positive experiences with there cars, Like daily drivers and reliable, or are these things just garage queens?
Jscar@sympatico.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Also... how do they do in winter weather?
Old 02-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default About to get my first Fisker Karma. Any success stories out there?

I just made a deal for a used Fisker being sold at a Karma dealership here in Canada, apparently Karma will certify the car, but although the deal is done I will only get car on or after March 15, 2019. Now after reading so many horror stories, is there any one out there with positive experiences with their cars, Like daily drivers and reliable, or are these things just garage Queens?

Also, how do these babies do In the winter?

Old 02-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just made a deal for a used Fisker being sold at a Karma dealership here in Canada, apparently Karma will certify the car, but although the deal is done I will only get car on or after March 15, 2019. Now after reading so many horror stories, is there any one out there with positive experiences with their cars, Like daily drivers and reliable, or are these things just garage Queens?

Also, how do these babies do In the winter?
The horror stories get most of the press but I think you'll mainly find satisfied customers here in these forums. I bought mine new seven years ago, for example, and it's still my daily driver. I've had a couple of issues and you really do need to do your homework on individual cars, but there's no reason you can't join the ranks of happy Karma drivers. As for winter, I can tell you that the OEM Goodyear 22" tires are terrible to the point of dangerous when the temps are much colder than 40F/4C. Fisker offered 21" wheels with different winter rubber and many of us have swapped to other 22" tire brands with better winter performance. Also, as with any EV your electric range will be much lower in the winter. I live in a warm climate though so I'll defer to others to talk about truly living with a Karma in Winter.

Brent
Old 02-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

I can certainly understand how perusing this forum and jumping around reading certain topics (or parts of topics) can be scary to the uninformed. Keep in mind that it is much easier to find posts on here of people asking for help and advice (because this is where most of the "corporate knowledge now resides) than it is to find long strings of owners expressing their appreciation (and even infatuation) for their cars - but it is all there. If nothing else, I think having a little bit of an "oh crap" feeling early in the research process might actually be a good thing - especially if it spurs you to do more in-depth research to ensure you know what you are getting into.

With that being said, I don't have numbers for you but there are many people on here that use the car as a daily driver (myself included, but I rotate cars on occasion). More importantly, there are ORIGINAL owners that are members of this site, others that have owned their cars for years, and EXPERTS that have been keeping these cars on the road since ~2012. Personally, if I was in your position and had the peace of mind of a warranty, I'd finish conducting research using this site, talk with the experts and other owners on here, then hop in my Fisker on 15 March and never look back.

I've had my Fisker for about a year now, and the experience has been incredible most of the time and, TBH, a bit nerve-racking at others. My wife and I both love our car, but (to steal an analogy from another owner) realize that it is a bit like dating a super model at times.
EasyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great info! Thanks! I wish more people would chime in with positive vibes.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
I can certainly understand how perusing this forum and jumping around reading certain topics (or parts of topics) can be scary to the uninformed. Keep in mind that it is much easier to find posts on here of people asking for help and advice (because this is where most of the "corporate knowledge now resides) than it is to find long strings of owners expressing their appreciation (and even infatuation) for their cars - but it is all there. If nothing else, I think having a little bit of an "oh crap" feeling early in the research process might actually be a good thing - especially if it spurs you to do more in-depth research to ensure you know what you are getting into.

With that being said, I don't have numbers for you but there are many people on here that use the car as a daily driver (myself included, but I rotate cars on occasion). More importantly, there are ORIGINAL owners that are members of this site, others that have owned their cars for years, and EXPERTS that have been keeping these cars on the road since ~2012. Personally, if I was in your position and had the peace of mind of a warranty, I'd finish conducting research using this site, talk with the experts and other owners on here, then hop in my Fisker on 15 March and never look back.

I've had my Fisker for about a year now, and the experience has been incredible most of the time and, TBH, a bit nerve-racking at others. My wife and I both love our car, but (to steal an analogy from another owner) realize that it is a bit like dating a super model at times.
Yup that was @Fabulist who made that quote. As an original owner from 2012, and to hop on the analogy, everybody wants her, but only a few can deal with her. This car is not for your casual owner, you buy it for the looks, you drive it for ride and your pray she does not get mid-evil on you. My only suggestion to anyone buying is have the means, patients and a mechanic who has as much passion for this car as you do. Also to buy with confidence - have the car verified for the basics, motors , battery and all the recalled items buy the four folks who have the knowledge (FiskerPhilly, Harleyguy, Powersource , Alexpop and Fabulist come to mind . Oh and enhance the driving experience with a TOM Module.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

What’s a TOM module?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Deep Ocean in ATL

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)

My 2012 Karma is approaching 60,000 Miles (96,000KM). After nearly 7 years it still drives very well, draws attention and has no mechanical issues. Being retired, I drive ~100 miles a week on average, but take it on the road a few times a year. Admittedly, it had the Differential and Motors upgraded -- some in warranty and some out of pocket -- but it was worth the upgrades.

My recommendations: "Don't Look at drivers staring at you in the Karma." There will be many, but they become driving a distraction! Be prepared to be cornered at every errand stop...be prepared for the 5-10 encounter; have a 10 second info for traffic lights! Enjoy your Karma and Welcome!
AlJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Hey JSCAR,

The car is GREAT! Im personally new to ownership but I have known my vehicle since birth. Your only real issue will be finding someone in Canada that knows how to fix the vehicle. I have the all the records for my car and every time it has gone in for something the owner was hit with a $3k bill. Needless to say some of the issues are still there and Im sending the car to Fiskerpilly to fix this month
Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote