I want to know more about the fisker Karma! - Page 3 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2016, 11:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JCMorrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Default

But for a stock Karma, on a long trip, I always click SPORT mode on as soon as I get down to 27 (or get on a highway) and keep the battery charged to there until I know I'm on my way home (or at least to a charger) and within that 27 (ish!) mile driving distance. (Over time, you'll learn where this is around your house). Why? A few reasons ... First, that way I always use pretty much all my Stealth miles and burn the least gas which is why I like/bought the car. But this way, I also keep my battery around 60% SOC (State of Charge) for almost all of the trip. You see, it turns out the Karma accelerates a better the more above 50% you have your battery. So for highway passing/merging it's good to have the Karma as charged as possible. Plus, it gives me some cushion travel capacity on battery only if the ICE should fail or something (this has certainly never happened to me, but I'm a cautious person).

Note: When your Karma shows you have 0 Stealth miles, the ICE is really maintaining the battery at 15%. The car's computer never wants to let you drain the battery below that. So your 50 Stealth miles represent the upper 85% of the battery's capacity -- SOC 16% thru 100%. Each Stealth mile is therefore roughly (85%/50) = 1.7% (it's really not that linear, but it's a decent approximation). So, if you show 27 Stealth miles -- that's around 27*1.7% + 15% = 61% SOC. I'd say you're at least comfortably above 50% if you're showing 27 Stealth miles. That's where the car performs it's best. So, that's why I hold it there.
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Default

Thanks so much. I'm understanding however that it is extremely unlikely, except for a lot of regen-ergy, to bring the battery up from low SOC, say, the 15%, to 75%+(full), by driving with ICE operative. ?Reply greatly appreciated.
Here in Canada, the dealer mentioned cars waiting for their 520 software upgrade. Just how much has Karma/dealer been offering/supplying upgrades?
Thanks again.
Bibendum400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
marswill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Default

I have picked up more than 6 miles through regen while driving from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento, CA.
__________________
2012 Karma EcoSport Inferno/Canyon #1188
1966 Pontiac LeMans Sprint, Propane Powered
marswill is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 06-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast
 
jomak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NW Atlanta
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum400 View Post
Thanks so much. I'm understanding however that it is extremely unlikely, except for a lot of regen-ergy, to bring the battery up from low SOC, say, the 15%, to 75%+(full), by driving with ICE operative. ?Reply greatly appreciated.
Here in Canada, the dealer mentioned cars waiting for their 520 software upgrade. Just how much has Karma/dealer been offering/supplying upgrades?
Thanks again.
After 520 is 530 which came several months ago and now 535 is the current update. No word if we will see another. I hope we see more once the new Karma Revero.
__________________
Lovely Laguna Blue EcoSport Black Sand Monotone #2655
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast
 
jomak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NW Atlanta
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorrill View Post
But for a stock Karma, on a long trip, I always click SPORT mode on as soon as I get down to 27 (or get on a highway) and keep the battery charged to there until I know I'm on my way home (or at least to a charger) and within that 27 (ish!) mile driving distance. (Over time, you'll learn where this is around your house). Why? A few reasons ... First, that way I always use pretty much all my Stealth miles and burn the least gas which is why I like/bought the car. But this way, I also keep my battery around 60% SOC (State of Charge) for almost all of the trip. You see, it turns out the Karma accelerates a better the more above 50% you have your battery. So for highway passing/merging it's good to have the Karma as charged as possible. Plus, it gives me some cushion travel capacity on battery only if the ICE should fail or something (this has certainly never happened to me, but I'm a cautious person).

Note: When your Karma shows you have 0 Stealth miles, the ICE is really maintaining the battery at 15%. The car's computer never wants to let you drain the battery below that. So your 50 Stealth miles represent the upper 85% of the battery's capacity -- SOC 16% thru 100%. Each Stealth mile is therefore roughly (85%/50) = 1.7% (it's really not that linear, but it's a decent approximation). So, if you show 27 Stealth miles -- that's around 27*1.7% + 15% = 61% SOC. I'd say you're at least comfortably above 50% if you're showing 27 Stealth miles. That's where the car performs it's best. So, that's why I hold it there.

This is good info! I have to drive around Atlanta and this is a good way when I have longer trips without the ability to charge. I appreciate the tip!
__________________
Lovely Laguna Blue EcoSport Black Sand Monotone #2655
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:56 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JCMorrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum400 View Post
Thanks so much. I'm understanding however that it is extremely unlikely, except for a lot of regen-ergy, to bring the battery up from low SOC, say, the 15%, to 75%+(full), by driving with ICE operative. ?Reply greatly appreciated.
Here in Canada, the dealer mentioned cars waiting for their 520 software upgrade. Just how much has Karma/dealer been offering/supplying upgrades?
Thanks again.
Again, on a stock Karma, the ICE NEVER takes the Stealth Miles up from whatever you see indicated. It can only hold it at that level. Regen braking can buy you a few Stealth Miles back (as @marswill indicated, maybe several if you're going down a whole mountain), but that's it. The car's software was built to "sustain" charge from the ICE, never to really build it back up. (That's what a TOM unit can do.)
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Default

Roger that, thank you. And, only to show how little I know at this stage:
what please, is a TOM?
And the follow up, how does one obtain it?
thanks
Bibendum400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
WATTGAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum400 View Post
Roger that, thank you. And, only to show how little I know at this stage:
what please, is a TOM?
And the follow up, how does one obtain it?
thanks
The TOM is short for "Transportation Optimization Module" and it's sold by @PowerSource via the website www.pwr-source.com. You can read more about the TOM here:

http://pwr-source.com/faq.html

The pricing and various options (self install, white glove install for SoCal owners, self install + 630A fuse) are located at the bottom of the home page of the website.

Good luck!
__________________
Karma EcoSport - Inferno-Canyon
WATTGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: houston/geneva
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiskerPhilly View Post
Did you turn off the parade setting on the interior lighting tab in the settings menu so that the cabin ambient lights come on? This will turn on the amber back lighting on the floors and all the glass panels/cupholders etc will illuminate while driving
can you explain this more fully?
i have tried to change that setting and it just doesnt react.
the car has recently been reflashed with 520, and the parade button does not react when pressed, and i cannot increase the brightness if the car is outside.
rosssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Fisker Karma is making a comeback with a Corvette engine- but not by Karma Auto PowerSource The Fisker Lounge 33 01-19-2016 02:59 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.