I want to know more about the fisker Karma! - Page 3 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2016, 11:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

But for a stock Karma, on a long trip, I always click SPORT mode on as soon as I get down to 27 (or get on a highway) and keep the battery charged to there until I know I'm on my way home (or at least to a charger) and within that 27 (ish!) mile driving distance. (Over time, you'll learn where this is around your house). Why? A few reasons ... First, that way I always use pretty much all my Stealth miles and burn the least gas which is why I like/bought the car. But this way, I also keep my battery around 60% SOC (State of Charge) for almost all of the trip. You see, it turns out the Karma accelerates a better the more above 50% you have your battery. So for highway passing/merging it's good to have the Karma as charged as possible. Plus, it gives me some cushion travel capacity on battery only if the ICE should fail or something (this has certainly never happened to me, but I'm a cautious person).

Note: When your Karma shows you have 0 Stealth miles, the ICE is really maintaining the battery at 15%. The car's computer never wants to let you drain the battery below that. So your 50 Stealth miles represent the upper 85% of the battery's capacity -- SOC 16% thru 100%. Each Stealth mile is therefore roughly (85%/50) = 1.7% (it's really not that linear, but it's a decent approximation). So, if you show 27 Stealth miles -- that's around 27*1.7% + 15% = 61% SOC. I'd say you're at least comfortably above 50% if you're showing 27 Stealth miles. That's where the car performs it's best. So, that's why I hold it there.
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #22 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks so much. I'm understanding however that it is extremely unlikely, except for a lot of regen-ergy, to bring the battery up from low SOC, say, the 15%, to 75%+(full), by driving with ICE operative. ?Reply greatly appreciated.
Here in Canada, the dealer mentioned cars waiting for their 520 software upgrade. Just how much has Karma/dealer been offering/supplying upgrades?
Thanks again.
Bibendum400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

I have picked up more than 6 miles through regen while driving from Lake Tahoe to Sacramento, CA.
2012 Karma EcoSport Inferno/Canyon #1188
1966 Pontiac LeMans Sprint, Propane Powered
marswill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum400 View Post
Thanks so much. I'm understanding however that it is extremely unlikely, except for a lot of regen-ergy, to bring the battery up from low SOC, say, the 15%, to 75%+(full), by driving with ICE operative. ?Reply greatly appreciated.
Here in Canada, the dealer mentioned cars waiting for their 520 software upgrade. Just how much has Karma/dealer been offering/supplying upgrades?
Thanks again.
After 520 is 530 which came several months ago and now 535 is the current update. No word if we will see another. I hope we see more once the new Karma Revero.
Lovely Laguna Blue EcoSport Black Sand Monotone #2655
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorrill View Post
But for a stock Karma, on a long trip, I always click SPORT mode on as soon as I get down to 27 (or get on a highway) and keep the battery charged to there until I know I'm on my way home (or at least to a charger) and within that 27 (ish!) mile driving distance. (Over time, you'll learn where this is around your house). Why? A few reasons ... First, that way I always use pretty much all my Stealth miles and burn the least gas which is why I like/bought the car. But this way, I also keep my battery around 60% SOC (State of Charge) for almost all of the trip. You see, it turns out the Karma accelerates a better the more above 50% you have your battery. So for highway passing/merging it's good to have the Karma as charged as possible. Plus, it gives me some cushion travel capacity on battery only if the ICE should fail or something (this has certainly never happened to me, but I'm a cautious person).

Note: When your Karma shows you have 0 Stealth miles, the ICE is really maintaining the battery at 15%. The car's computer never wants to let you drain the battery below that. So your 50 Stealth miles represent the upper 85% of the battery's capacity -- SOC 16% thru 100%. Each Stealth mile is therefore roughly (85%/50) = 1.7% (it's really not that linear, but it's a decent approximation). So, if you show 27 Stealth miles -- that's around 27*1.7% + 15% = 61% SOC. I'd say you're at least comfortably above 50% if you're showing 27 Stealth miles. That's where the car performs it's best. So, that's why I hold it there.

This is good info! I have to drive around Atlanta and this is a good way when I have longer trips without the ability to charge. I appreciate the tip!
Lovely Laguna Blue EcoSport Black Sand Monotone #2655
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:56 AM   #26 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

Quote:
Thanks again.
Again, on a stock Karma, the ICE NEVER takes the Stealth Miles up from whatever you see indicated. It can only hold it at that level. Regen braking can buy you a few Stealth Miles back (as @marswill indicated, maybe several if you're going down a whole mountain), but that's it. The car's software was built to "sustain" charge from the ICE, never to really build it back up. (That's what a TOM unit can do.)
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #27 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Roger that, thank you. And, only to show how little I know at this stage:
what please, is a TOM?
And the follow up, how does one obtain it?
thanks
Bibendum400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Quote:
Roger that, thank you. And, only to show how little I know at this stage:
what please, is a TOM?
And the follow up, how does one obtain it?
thanks
The TOM is short for "Transportation Optimization Module" and it's sold by @PowerSource via the website www.pwr-source.com. You can read more about the TOM here:

http://pwr-source.com/faq.html

The pricing and various options (self install, white glove install for SoCal owners, self install + 630A fuse) are located at the bottom of the home page of the website.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #29 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiskerPhilly View Post
Did you turn off the parade setting on the interior lighting tab in the settings menu so that the cabin ambient lights come on? This will turn on the amber back lighting on the floors and all the glass panels/cupholders etc will illuminate while driving
can you explain this more fully?
i have tried to change that setting and it just doesnt react.
the car has recently been reflashed with 520, and the parade button does not react when pressed, and i cannot increase the brightness if the car is outside.
rosssr is offline   Reply With Quote