New Member, not yet Owner - Page 2 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
EV Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePalmBJ View Post
The price of electricity has nothing to do with the number of miles driven per gallon of gas consumed.
If that's the case, a Tesla should have infinite MPG(instead of about 90 MPGe).
Old 10-09-2015, 01:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttAkker View Post
Hello WATTGAS. I am in contact with FiskerPhilly : ) I am indeed taking my time. How does the Karma compare in range? I would think very similar. I am getting around 1300 miles in between fill-ups in the Volt.
My Karma actual range varies from 36-42 miles on a full charge. Similar to the Volt, the Karma is sensitive to high temperatures. It seems like the Karma is not as sensitive as the Volt to low temperatures, but admittedly our Phoenix weather is not "real" cold weather. I wish the Karma had a 100 mile range before the generator kicked in.

My Volt actual range varies from 42-52 miles on a full charge, depending on weather too. I got close to 60 miles on a single charge last November with some serious coasting downhill and most of the driving on fairly flat city roads driving about 45 mph. I'm at just over 39K miles on month 39 of my 39 month lease and I've used 101 gallons of gas. I had it up to about 1250 MPG, but then Blink changed their commercial charging rates to time based charging, which took the full recharge costs at my company from $5 to $12. With gas being so cheap it doesn't make any financial sense to use Blink under the new billing structure.

Good luck with your continued Karma search.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

JCMorrill hit it right on the spot. The calculation you used is pretty accurate although it can do with a little refinement but it is indeed good enough. The cost of electricity has to be taken into account so on average one would say you would pay a third - in electric mode only - for the equivalent miles in gas only mode. I just love not going to gas stations. By the way, over the five/six weeks I have owned my car I am getting 300 miles per gallon using the same formula used above accounting for cost of electricity. Cool, eh?
SAAB 9-3 Aero Cabriolet
FiskerZee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #14 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATTGAS View Post
My Karma actual range varies from 36-42 miles on a full charge. Similar to the Volt, the Karma is sensitive to high temperatures. It seems like the Karma is not as sensitive as the Volt to low temperatures, but admittedly our Phoenix weather is not "real" cold weather. I wish the Karma had a 100 mile range before the generator kicked in.

My Volt actual range varies from 42-52 miles on a full charge, depending on weather too. I got close to 60 miles on a single charge last November with some serious coasting downhill and most of the driving on fairly flat city roads driving about 45 mph. I'm at just over 39K miles on month 39 of my 39 month lease and I've used 101 gallons of gas. I had it up to about 1250 MPG, but then Blink changed their commercial charging rates to time based charging, which took the full recharge costs at my company from $5 to $12. With gas being o cheap it doesn't make any financial sense to use Blink under the new billing structure.

Good luck with your continued Karma search.
This has gotten interesting. I didn't realize the Karma gas tank was under 8gal. I get similar ranges as you on my Volt. I get to charge free at work and the volt charges within 3.5-4 hours on L2 and 8hrs on 110 we have both options. If I take a 110 spot by 8am I'm fully topped back up before heading home. Is it correct that the Karma takes 10 hours on 110? I would have to make sure I get in by 7am to snag one of the 7 L2s in the Karma. Not a big deal.
AttAkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiskerZee View Post
JCMorrill hit it right on the spot. The calculation you used is pretty accurate although it can do with a little refinement but it is indeed good enough. The cost of electricity has to be taken into account so on average one would say you would pay a third - in electric mode only - for the equivalent miles in gas only mode. I just love not going to gas stations. By the way, over the five/six weeks I have owned my car I am getting 300 miles per gallon using the same formula used above accounting for cost of electricity. Cool, eh?
That's awesome.
AttAkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Quote:
This has gotten interesting. I didn't realize the Karma gas tank was under 8gal. I get similar ranges as you on my Volt. I get to charge free at work and the volt charges within 3.5-4 hours on L2 and 8hrs on 110 we have both options. If I take a 110 spot by 8am I'm fully topped back up before heading home. Is it correct that the Karma takes 10 hours on 110? I would have to make sure I get in by 7am to snag one of the 7 L2s in the Karma. Not a big deal.
My Volt takes 4 hours to charge on L2 and the Karma is about 5.5 hours on L2. I don't use L1 charging any more on either car, but my Volt takes about 10-12 hours on L2 and I think the Karma was like 13-14 hours on L2. So if you're going to charge the Karma at work, I would definitely get there early enough to get a L2 charging spot. Out of curiosity, what does the L2 charging cost at your work. Is it time-based charging or usage-based charging?
Old 10-11-2015, 03:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
(1) it's not (under 8 galllons), it's a 10 (US, not Imperial) gallon tank. I've put as much as 9.5 gallons in—by which point the dashboard "out of fuel" alarm had been on for some miles.

(2) The Karma takes roughly 13 hours to charge using 120 volt household current and the supplied "convenience charger". Since house current is merely a nominal 120 (actual "normal" range is about +/- 5% or about 115 to 125 volts) your time may vary.

On 240 volt power, my Karma takes just over 5 hours to charge from nearly empty (typically 1 to 3 miles of range left by the time I get home; Blink charger reports charge time as anywhere from 5:05 to 5:17).

I'm not sure what my (night = charge time) "240 volt" actual voltage is. My (PG&E supplied) "smart meter" reports the actual voltage as a bit over 240, typically in the 242 to 244 volt range, when I've checked it, but this was when the sun was shining and I was producing electricity from the house solar panels (which is why I was checking).

Last edited by ct-fiskerbuzz; 10-11-2015 at 03:04 AM.
ct-fiskerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome Everyone! I am looking for Fisker, I will buy one in nearest future. Now I have been drive Thesis.
r1obert is offline   Reply With Quote