KA Reorganization Rumor - The Good News and Bad News - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ira

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Default KA Reorganization Rumor - The Good News and Bad News

Anyone know if the following is true or not?

First the bad news: KA has laid off half of its SoCal staff. The good news is they are investing $1 million in a design research center in SoCal. Besides innovating on new Karma models, including an SUV, they will raise revenue by contracting their state-of-the-art technology to other automotive manufacturers.

KA is still planning to sell 500-1000 Reveros per year.
Karma - Shadow/Canyon #1292
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)

Check this earlier thread Ira.

Simon

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Garage

I guess there is more to the car business then is evident from the marketing. You would think with technology and modern manufacturing it would be easier. I'm surprised how they spend so much and get so little. Last I heard he Atlantic was 95% done, why was that not brought to market? Also an easy win would of been to make the Reveno a Coupe (larger front doors, better seating etc) and for god sake, build the Sunset and Surf after you fixed the engineering of the original Karma -- those seemed like low hanging fruits. If Elon could do what he did with pure technical and business skills, maybe the auto industry should take some queues from Tech Entrepreneurs ? just saying!

Old 11-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Garage

You might want to check out this thread:
https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/14...tml#post327181
Old 11-11-2019, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePalmBJ View Post
You might want to check out this thread:
https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/14...tml#post327181
I did and my post is aligned with the comments, but i think they are missing an opportunity with the sunset, surf and Atlantic. yes an SUV makes sense given the trends, but to be a luxury vehicle that separates KARMA from the rest, make sense to be unique in class rather then me too -- if volume is not a priority, then obviously exclusivity is and with numbers like 500-1000 is easier to achieve with a line up as i suggested. KARMA Coupe (GT), Atlantic, Surf and flagship, hardtop convertible Sunset -- they could sell closer to 2500 - 4000+ with this line up as long as they breed quality, customer experience and performance.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin ja View Post
Last I heard he Atlantic was 95% done, why was that not brought to market? Also an easy win would of been to make the Revero a Coupe (larger front doors, better seating etc) and for god sake, build the Sunset and Surf after you fixed the engineering of the original Karma -- those seemed like low hanging fruits. If Elon could do what he did with pure technical and business skills, maybe the auto industry should take some queues from Tech Entrepreneurs ? just saying!
We know that Fisker was unable to bring the Atlantic, Surf and Sunset to market because government funding was suspended at a critical time when political winds were changing. Assuming that Karma Automotive has the rights to those designs, and given the common platform of all the aforesaid cars, I think they did the right thing in getting that platform right before propagating design and production flaws into those models.

Then there's the general trend to move away from hybrids and go into pure EVs. Tesla, not necessarily Elon Musk, has shown the way there and everyone is trying to catch up. Fuel cells may be the future but EVs are the 'now' with hopes of solid state batteries next up.

So while we may see an easy win in the unbuilt Fisker designs, I'm not so sure the market does. Upgrading the technology in these vehicles and making them quality products that a low production volume would demand would be very expensive and we are already seeing that Wanxiang's willingness to invest more in KA is waning. I suspect that Wanxiang is waiting to see what happens with the trade war between China and the US, evolutions in battery technology and improvements in charging infrastructure to support widespread use of EVs. They're not seeing the demand for Reveros and are skeptical about the success of KA's brand-building efforts. Plunging into production of these other vehicles could be ruinous.

I'm not so sure that "Tech Entrepreneurs" are the right role models for the automobile company either. Silicon Valley's history is full of failed tech companies that had great technical ideas but could not execute on those ideas, disappointed customers with shoddy products and outright lied to customers about the products (features, quality etc.) in order to make sales.

Forever!
Old 11-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

An October article on this topic can be found here.

Simon

Forever!