AC doesn't work and engine overheating - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Default AC doesn't work and engine overheating

Hi guys, i need a help... Recently i experienced twice engine overheating (driver side coolant was out) and at the same time AC is not working (blowing hot air)... Reading some posts it seams it is cooling fan??? Any idea and tip?
cemelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemelli View Post
Hi guys, i need a help... Recently i experienced twice engine overheating (driver side coolant was out) and at the same time AC is not working (blowing hot air)... Reading some posts it seams it is cooling fan??? Any idea and tip?
Dont drive the car and yes you need a new engine cooling fan
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Default Check the Freon Level First

Quote:
Before replacing the fan I would have the Freon Level checked.

The Fan will not work if your Freon level is low. I replaced my Fan and it still wouldn't work because my Freon was low. Once I had my AC evaluated and recharged the fan worked and everything went back to normal.

You can purchase a brand new fan from FiskerPhilly or I have a used Fan available that I took off my car and replaced with a new one before I found out there was nothing wrong with the fan.

To test the fan you can unplug the connector and use a 12 volt battery with two wires to run current to the fan. It's much easier to check the Freon first by taking car to any shop that service auto air AC systems.

Sam
scurry1074 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry1074 View Post
Before replacing the fan I would have the Freon Level checked.

The Fan will not work if your Freon level is low. I replaced my Fan and it still wouldn't work because my Freon was low. Once I had my AC evaluated and recharged the fan worked and everything went back to normal.

You can purchase a brand new fan from FiskerPhilly or I have a used Fan available that I took off my car and replaced with a new one before I found out there was nothing wrong with the fan.

To test the fan you can unplug the connector and use a 12 volt battery with two wires to run current to the fan. It's much easier to check the Freon first by taking car to any shop that service auto air AC systems.

Sam
The key here is his car is also overheating . If the ac wasn’t working because of low Freon he wouldn’t have AC . His also loosing coolant which means the fan isn’t working when the engine temperature goes to high causing the engine to overheat .
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
The key here is his car is also overheating . If the ac wasn’t working because of low Freon he wouldn’t have AC . His also loosing coolant which means the fan isn’t working when the engine temperature goes to high causing the engine to overheat .
My car overheated as well. The indicator light came on. However, I didn't lose any coolant. The indication is that his problem is the fan but before I replace the fan I would certainly check the Freon first. If I would have first checked my Freon before replacing the fan I would've saved a lot of time and money.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry1074 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
My car overheated as well. The indicator light came on. However, I didn't lose any coolant. The indication is that his problem is the fan but before I replace the fan I would certainly check the Freon first. If I would have first checked my Freon before replacing the fan I would've saved a lot of time and money.
Hi, tks a lot on your feedback . Where to check Freon lvl or I have to take the car in the service?
cemelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi, tks a lot on your feedback . Where to check Freon lvl or I have to take the car in the service?
You can take your car to any service station that service a/c.

I'm very particular about who I let service my vehicle outside of a Fisker Technician. Very few people understand how to service an electric vehicle, especially a Fisker. I like to fine a shop that will let me participate or at lease observe the service.

I raised the hood and located the low pressure and high pressure side of the air condition before I went looking for shop so that I could at least give the impression that I know a little about what I'm talking about. I drove down a main street in the Detroit area until I seen a service station that had a sign up that said auto air condition serviced here.

I picked a service station that appeared to not be that busy. It cost me $79.95 plus a $20 tip.

I explained to the technician that the air condition is electric driven and not driven by the engine. I explain the function of the ICE.

They hooked up their machine to the low and high pressure side of the air condition and immediately was able to tell me that I needed Freon. They pressure check the system for leaks to make sure there was no leaks. They evaluated the system and charged it up with Freon. It took about 1 hour.

When the service was completed he ask me to turn the system on and let it run on high. I put the car in drive held the brakes and press the accelerator paddle to the floor to force the ICE on. Put the car in park and let it run. Within a short while the A/C was freezing cold.