The Fisker Karma is making a comeback with a Corvette engine- but not by Karma Auto - Page 2 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage

I had some trouble playing the video today also, but after impatiently clicking on it a few times it did play. It has Henrik and Lutz being interviewed in front of one of the refreshed Destinos we saw 2 years ago, though they say Henrik will be involved in keeping it "aesthetically fresh". No evidence of what that new look will be though, all I see in the piece is a 2012 Karma with some tweaks.

$200K for a gas guzzler I can buy for under $60K now seems a little nuts. It seems like Henrik and Lutz's significant combined experience would have more utility in something other than sticking a corvette engine in a 2012.

Can you imagine how smashed up the front fascia would get with a rocket engine in the car?
Karma #328: Shadow on Monsoon Tri-tone
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)

Well if they remove the inverters you will likely also get double the trunk space.

Also you get a carbon fiber roof and the vehicle only weighs 4300lbs. One of the lighter luxury sedans out there.

I can't get over how ugly the center console looks with that plasticky auto shift knob and the relocated cup holders. Was sorta hoping for a paddle shift version that was integrated with the PRNDL. Or at the very least a full 7 speed manual.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the CIU. Lutz uses an iPad solution in the VIA trucks. For 200k+ the infotainment should have VLF specific customization.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
Well if they remove the inverters you will likely also get double the trunk space.

Also you get a carbon fiber roof and the vehicle only weighs 4300lbs. One of the lighter luxury sedans out there.

I can't get over how ugly the center console looks with that plasticky auto shift knob and the relocated cup holders. Was sorta hoping for a paddle shift version that was integrated with the PRNDL. Or at the very least a full 7 speed manual.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the CIU. Lutz uses an iPad solution in the VIA trucks. For 200k+ the infotainment should have VLF specific customization.

Are they selling those VIA trucks? There was a lot of fuss and then nothing -- i was wondering is Lutz made money on that.

BTW I'm not so concerned about using a chevy engine , i just wish they focus on the sunset version hardtop, like the Z4 , for 200K, that would make sense.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Well, I stand corrected, in one aspect... clearly they are still using old stock of Karma shells/cars. I still contend they can't get more of them, unless they sign a supply agreement with the new Karma Automotive. So if no supply agreement, will they just make a limited number of Destinos as a starting shot into being bespoke manufacturer... then using the Force1 as the next car? Maybe.

Last edited by Dave_Car_Guy; 01-11-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Dave_Car_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

What stops VLF from purchasing any Karma and doing this? Saleen and several other customization shops engage in these types of activities without repercussion.
Fanofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

I like the changes they made to the front, it looks looks like a Maserati. It's interesting they didn't eliminate the "muffler" exhaust on the sides from the Karma design. A little weird considering they have the 4 pipes out the back. The lip on the trunk and integrated 3rd brake light looks nice. I also like the flared rear bumper.

As for the interior, I agree the cup holders look a little strange. Plus, they are still too small to hold today's phablets! The glossy carbon fiber over the wood looks nice.

I wonder if $229K will get you backlit buttons on the steering wheel!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofearth View Post
What stops VLF from purchasing any Karma and doing this? Saleen and several other customization shops engage in these types of activities without repercussion.
Nothing stops them from doing it, and the used Karma market would be the best place for them to get donor cars. It is exactly what Fisker Coachbuild was doing in 2006 with the BMW 6-series to make the Fisker Latigo and with the Mercedes SL to make the Fisker Tramonto. The advantage of that type of coach-build strategy is that VLF doesn't have to crash-test or EPA certify the Destino because the car still gets registered as the underlying car. But with the Latigo and Tramonto, customers would provide the underlying car. If VLF does it, it sounds like they'd just go source the Karma donor car themselves.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

Sorry for being dense, but since it was mentioned multiple times ... where did you guys see an interior shot (of the "fugly" shifter/cup holders)? I can't seem to find that picture and I played the video twice ... ???
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorrill View Post
Sorry for being dense, but since it was mentioned multiple times ... where did you guys see an interior shot (of the "fugly" shifter/cup holders)? I can't seem to find that picture and I played the video twice ... ???
There is gallery of photos on this site:

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/01/201...-karma-to.html

Old 01-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

BTW, I sent a note to Henrik to ask him a bit more about the Destino and he replied with the info I asked for along with an excited: just wait until you see the Force 1 tomorrow!!