Winter rims/tires - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Default Winter rims/tires

Hello all! New owner, just purchased my new Laguna/Dune Ecosport Karma on the weekend. Too snowy to get it home though (live in Southern Alberta where we just had a blizzard). Cost of the factory winter rims is about $6500 so was looking at alternatives. Was thinking about 18" rims with 255/60 rear and 235/60 front. Was going to go with Pirelli Winter Carving Edge tires. Have an XL rating so they should be fine for the weight of the car. Diameter/circumference is closer to stock than the factory 21" rims/tires. Before purchasing though, I have two questions:
1) Will the 18" rims fit over the 370mm (14.6") front discs brakes?
2) Is there a risk of overheating the regenerative braking system with having less ventilation around the disc with the tighter 18" wheels or does that occur in the electric motors well away from the calipers/discs?
3) Any other concerns one might have about this (aside from appearance)?

I know it might look a bit odd. If I do go for it, I will post some pics. Opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks - Strobe
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage

I am not an expert but look at your rear wheel it is impossible to go smaller than 21 inches.
I have to deal with the same problem I live in Montreal Canada.
Ccoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
Hello all! New owner, just purchased my new Laguna/Dune Ecosport Karma on the weekend. Too snowy to get it home though (live in Southern Alberta where we just had a blizzard). Cost of the factory winter rims is about $6500 so was looking at alternatives. Was thinking about 18" rims with 255/60 rear and 235/60 front. Was going to go with Pirelli Winter Carving Edge tires. Have an XL rating so they should be fine for the weight of the car. Diameter/circumference is closer to stock than the factory 21" rims/tires. Before purchasing though, I have two questions:
1) Will the 18" rims fit over the 370mm (14.6") front discs brakes?
2) Is there a risk of overheating the regenerative braking system with having less ventilation around the disc with the tighter 18" wheels or does that occur in the electric motors well away from the calipers/discs?
3) Any other concerns one might have about this (aside from appearance)?
If you are looking for winter tires I would strongly suggest reading through this thread: https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-...tive-tire.html, and especially my last post in it, where I describe the winter tires made by Yokohama - and order them soon because they may export the entire stock to Europe if there is no interest in North America!
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage

Funny time to be talking about winter tires, but I'm passing along a note from Yokohama:

"Just FYI, we’ve had no demand for the winter tires and we are preparing to scrap our inventory. If you know somebody that might need tires you might want to advise that they will not be available once existing inventory is scrapped. Tire Rack is probably the quickest route as they can quickly get them from Yokohama."

(I clarified that they are going to actually destroy these tires, not bulk sell them to tire rack).

Being in florida I have neither the need or space to hoard these, but if any of you northern owners do, PM me for the contact details at Yokohama. If you just want to hoard a set or 2, go to tire rack.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Just had the winter OEM winter rims and tires installed. In Washington, especially as I am in the lowlands, I haven't thought much about winter tires. But with the Goodyears and Fisker, I have learned to do so.

The winter rims are "OK" in my opinion, not as good looking as the regular OEM rims. However, the Yoko tires are much better in the cold weather. Global warming is effecting the PNW with colder than usual weather. The Yokos drive a bit more harshly than the Goodyears do in the warmer weather. But, the Goodyears are horrible in colder weather, and the Yokos are almost as soft as the Goodyears are in summer.

I thought, when I left the mid-west, I had left the necessity for changing rims and tires. When I lived in Wichita, I always changed tires for the winter. in Seattle, that hasn't been a required. But with global weather change and the Goodyears, I'm back into that rhythm. And although I don't like the look of the winter rims as well, the change isn't bad. Especially as my used winter set is dipped in black, it does give the car a different look.
EVer1 is offline   Reply With Quote