Mirror problem - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Default Mirror problem

I have my mirrors set to automatically fold up and they had been working fine. Tonight my wife and I were heading out to dinner and decided to take the Karma.
Well the mirrors decided to stay folded up tight once I started the car and nothing I've done has got them to go back to the normal position. Kind of frustrating to say the least. I even tried unpluging the cable under the hood to force a reboot of the computer. Does anyone have any ideas?

I guess you guys might want to disable the auto fold feature if you enabled it!
ejo3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default RE: Mirror problem

Had this problem with my Audi too, had to get it repaired. Also had to get both xenon bulbs replaced within three months.

Every car, even expensive ones, is bound to have some problems. And the chances of a problem in a Fisker are simply higher because it is a new car that is not an evolution of an older model, because it comes from a new company and because it has so much technology inside. We should be expecting these little, annoying malfunctions; it goes with the turf (I am not talking about Brian's problems, there must be a more major problem there). It's the price we pay for being the first to drive these cars and getting all these thousands of admiring looks on the street.

But I do hope you can get it fixed soon.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I had the opposite problem where my mirrors stopped auto folding. After toggling the setting a few time it started to work again.
brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
I had the opposite problem where my mirrors stopped auto folding. After toggling the setting a few time it started to work again.
I've tried toggling the settings, factory default reset, etc... with no luck. Probably what makes it most frustrating is the car had been at the dealers for 3 days getting the check engine fault reset, the window washer tank fault reset, and some other items looked at. Driving it home from the dealer all was great. Oh well...
Old 01-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejo3rd
Quote:
I've tried toggling the settings, factory default reset, etc... with no luck. Probably what makes it most frustrating is the car had been at the dealers for 3 days getting the check engine fault reset, the window washer tank fault reset, and some other items looked at. Driving it home from the dealer all was great. Oh well...
I know that with my other cars, if the mirrors get bumped, the auto fold and unfold stops functioning until the mirrors are moved manually back to the stop point. With the ford, I sometimes have to open and close the mirrors manually to get them to work.
karma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejo3rd
Quote:
I know that with my other cars, if the mirrors get bumped, the auto fold and unfold stops functioning until the mirrors are moved manually back to the stop point. With the ford, I sometimes have to open and close the mirrors manually to get them to work.
Thanks for the idea. I went and tried it but still no luck. I'll be dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Had the same problem on the passenger side. They have ordered a new mirror motor for me. Gosh I hope this stuff doesn't keep happening...
Good Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Karma
Had the same problem on the passenger side. They have ordered a new mirror motor for me. Gosh I hope this stuff doesn't keep happening...
Oh man - the motor needs to be replaced? Not just a software issue? That's not sounding good...
Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Remember, these kind of non-visible items come from the GM-parts bin.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Remember, these kind of non-visible items come from the GM-parts bin.
Even so, you don't hear about a lot of GM cars having folding mirror problems, or any car for that matter.

-- Fab.[hr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Karma
Oh man - the motor needs to be replaced? Not just a software issue? That's not sounding good...
It could still be a software issue in that the software fails to stop the motor when the mirror is fully closed or fully deployed and ends up burning the motor out. On the other hand, it could just be a crappy mirror motor as @Dutch suggested.

-- Fab.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote