Rdm - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Rdm

So I've been reading a little bit about the RDM issues as of late. And what I have collected is that pretty much, these things will eventually fail at some point...there's no going around that.....is that true? I'm starting to drive my car super conservatively now as not too put too much pressure on the RDM...will that help? I've driven my car over 8000 great miles and now I catch myself leaving the radio off to see if I can hear anything...& sometimes I do
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

What is it you hear? If its the usual growling/spline rattle, I've heard that from day 1 of having my Karma and I think they all make that noise.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fisker R&D and Build Tech

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Brugge

The sound you hear, the GROWL, is from the clearance between the shafts of the RDM and the motor splines. IT IS VERY LIKELY THAT MOST WILL FAIL without some sort of intervention. On take off and on decelleration the motors are basically pulsed for a smooth transition. This means the splines are being beaten forward and back against the RDM shafts. Because, in most instances, the motor splines are softer they wear the most. The hardened motor splines will LIKELY last longer, but as with most things Fisker you are the Beta Testers. The hardened splines tend to make more noise on a high speed decelleration in hill mode 2. There was a huge up-roar in Europe about the noise as many of their highways allow for greater speeds. To combat the issue we were doing the same thing we did for low speed growl. LOCTITE!
Brugge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Where is this Loctite going?
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

If Loctite is the solution, then that's a joke. It is used to cement nuts and bolts together. To expect that it will hold up to the pressure of an electric motor against a shaft accelerating or slowing a 5300 lb mass of car sounds ridiculous. Its like using Elmer's glue on a freight train to pull a building! Makes no sense at all. How the engineers at Fisker Automotive could think that Loctite would be a workable permanent solution to the problem is an enigma!
NJ Fisker Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Fisker Lawyer View Post
If Loctite is the solution, then that's a joke. It is used to cement nuts and bolts together. To expect that it will hold up to the pressure of an electric motor against a shaft accelerating or slowing a 5300 lb mass of car sounds ridiculous. Its like using Elmer's glue on a freight train to pull a building! Makes no sense at all. How the engineers at Fisker Automotive could think that Loctite would be a workable permanent solution to the problem is an enigma!
This is a quite common application for securing a gear to a shaft for industrial machinery. You would be surprised how many auto manufacturers utilize Loctite on axle components of vehicles (or to stop stripped bolts in general). The red loctite is permanent
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

So how do I loctite my car???
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
So how do I loctite my car???
Pull the RDM, Pull the TM's off the RDM and Loctite the splines.

I am of the old school of thinking that Loctite will not really make that much of a difference if you have a good RDM/TM's. I have ridden in Karma's that have the spline chatter at low speeds/reverse with 25k miles. In the long run I don't think it will matter much. I think it sounds a lot worse than it is. The tolerance is close enough where it won't make that much of a difference. The soft splines were a whole different issue and with/without Loctite the splines would have eventually spun out due to the manufacturing defect.

If you are going to pull the RDM (especially on early Karma's) just to do the Loctite you might as well replace the whole RDM with a late model unit- rather than just use loctite on your old TM's/RDM. Of course you are better off waiting till it fails as RDM's and TM's are not cheap.
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

Does loctite also eliminate the growl/spline rattle altogether? That might just be worth it for the acoustics!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

RDM's & TM's are not cheap.....what is not cheap? How much are we really looking at, parts & labor, if/when these fail?