New RDM and Traction motors - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default New RDM and Traction motors

Hey all,

First post on the forum. Have been reading a few of the threads in the last couple of months after FA stopped servicing the cars.

Just posting to say that my Karma, which I've had since March 2012, is in the shop for major surgery. New RDM and Traction motors. Lormax and another ex-Fisker technician are working on it. Big thanks to them for keeping us driving.

I thought I'd share some info, albeit useless at this time, with all of you since this episode has pushed me to seek a financial solution to keep the car functioning. Unfortunately there are none that I could come across. I talked to most big insurance companies and although many offer Mechanical Breakdown Coverage both as add-on and stand-alone products, they will not cover the Karma.

I've also been chatting with the head of the Shelley group that ran Fisker of Orange County to see whether a dealer-backed extended warranty company would jump in but it seems none of them are willing to do so. The car has been blacklisted by almost everyone in the US... at least as far as I know.

All this to say that I love the car but the current situation is putting a huge dent in the confidence I have in the Karma. I'm just hoping that no more major issues pop-up.

Anyway... great reading about everyone's experiences here on the forum.

Cheers.
progeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

Sorry to hear about your Karma. Can you give us some background on what happened and how many miles you had put on your Karma before things went south? Also VIN vintage would be helpful to those of us that have low VINs.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sure thing...

2012 Karma EcoChic, Earth/Earth Tritone

VIN: YH4K16AA6CA001478
... although according to Lormax, can't seem to go by the VIN to know whether updates were installed correctly at the factory. I should have received mine with the updated RDM but that wasn't the case when it was first looked at last month.

Mileage: about 8,400

Since I took delivery, I've had a couple of issues that were fixed at the dealership (Fisker OC). One was a battery fault and the second was a PRND fault. The car drove well until 8,000 miles. I started hearing a faint whine while driving. A little afterwards, the RDM started to make noises right before the car came to a full stop, or right as I accelerated from a stop. The whining started getting louder with every mile thereafter. I took the car to Lormax at the end of May who said that it was a known problem with the RDM. Unfortunately, due to the lack of a shop to do the work, the car had been sitting idle for the better part of a month. Took it in to a shop that Lormax had arranged last Saturday. The RDM and traction motors were removed on Monday at which point I found out that the damage was way worse than expected.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Thanks for the background - sad and surprising to hear that even a relatively high VIN like yours still had RDM/TM issues... And that they didn't show up until 8,000+ miles! One of my Karmas is in the 500 range and has had no mechanical issues so far (knock on wood! 4500 miles and counting). The other one is in the 1600s with about 7500 miles and so far, with my admittedly limited driving so far, also no mechanical issues that I can detect. Good luck with yours - let us know how it turns out and what fix was applied!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Lormax noted that to find out if you have an updated TM look under the car just behind the battery compartment at the TM. If it has a green circle painted on it, it is new, if not it is old. Very easy to see The circle is large. If you have to look around, too much it isn't there
2012 Ecosport Shadow,Black Sand Monotone, #461
Sportsmeddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Follow up question - isn't that high pitched whine normal when accelerating?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

I'll get the pics of his traction motors up today. One was about ready to spin out. I'll also post a picture of the green circle Sportsmeddoc referenced as well.

Owner of Fix The Karma LLC
http://www.fixthekarma.com
Lormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

This is still a mid jan build date so not that late. Once you get into the late 1000's and 2000's (Mar and later) you start to see the updated parts.
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

@SoCalGuy, the whine was more of a mid-range one, a grind at high frequency when releasing the accelerator and coasting. Same when slowing down. The RDM sounded more like a bad gear-change 'clunk'.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What is a traction motor? What is an RDM?
Is there a way for a technician to determine that these components are damaged and ready to fail?
Or does one wait until ugly noises start being generated?
Why did these really expensive parts fail so quickly?
Where were these parts manufactured?
Is there a way to get the manufacturer to be responsible for the repairs?
And by that I mean the company that made the part, and not FA.
I think my SPORT VIN is 514.
Thank you.
JSPONSLER is offline   Reply With Quote