Fisker Karma - Buyer's Checklist - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Default Fisker Karma - Buyer's Checklist

I thought it would be helpful to have one central place where someone interested in buying a used (or "new") Karma could go to see a checklist of items that they should review before purchasing a Karma (Mods, can we make this sticky)...

Here's my first cut and please let me know if I have any errors or missed anything (I will try to keep this message updated). From memory:

Critical items

Takata Airbag Recall — Fisker Karma’s front passenger side airbags were among the airbags that were recalled as part of the massive worldwide recall of Takata air bags. Karma Automotive has agreed to replace the defective airbags at no cost to owners through the CSP network. The replacement process began in early October 2017. There is a detailed thread on this topic here. Before committing to purchase a used Fisker Karma, make certain that this recall campaign has been completed.

- HV Battery – A123 supplied Fisker with batteries that had faulty hose clamps which made the battery subject to eventual failure; the recall was for nearly all cars of all VINs and should have been completed

- RDM/TMs (traction motors) – Early VINs (under [1,200] or so) had RDMs with soft splines which over time and extended use, could lead to a powertrain failure. Also, earlier VINs (under [1,000]) also had a different clip on the RDM which could cause a failure of the parking pawl

- Cooling fan – One of the cooling fans in the ICE area was prone to failure, causing the infamous fires in Texas and California; all Karmas should have had the fan replaced

- Muffler – Fisker switched muffler suppliers from Stillen to Bosal in VINs starting roughly at [1,000]; Bosal mufflers are more robust and have a much lower failure rate

- Software – The latest and most stable of the software for the car is version 535. This was preceded by version 520. DO NOT BUY A CAR WITH SOFTWARE VERSION 530. 520 or 535 are fine, but not 530. See this thread for more information.

Other minor issues
- Trunk overbite – Early build cars had body panel alignment issues with the trunk creating an “overbite” – this was fixed in later builds and earlier models had it somewhat fixed

- Heat shield – Also early in the builds, when the ICE is engaged in Sport mode, a rattle at speeds or going downhill can be heard coming from in front of the driver or passenger’s feet. The fix for this involved adjusting/bending the heat shield

- Manual pull tabs in front doors – these were replaced with glow in the dark tabs (older tabs were black and also broke off when pulled)

- Wind noise – The rear passenger (and in some cases, driver’s side) window had a seal issue which at freeway speeds, caused noticeable wind noise (like a plastic bag flapping); Fisker had a fix out which owners could voluntarily have done

- AC unit – Some AC units of early build cars did not operate properly and needed to be replaced

Last edited by Fabulist; 10-30-2017 at 04:04 PM.
SoCalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy View Post

- RDM/TMs (traction motors) – Early VINs (under [1,200] or so) had RDMs with soft splines which over time and extended use, could lead to a powertrain failure. Also, earlier VINs (under [1,000]) also had a different clip on the RDM which could cause a failure of the parking pawl
Soft spline traction motors and generators do not have reliable clean points and neither do the differentials equipped with the circular C Clips. These items were not installed in sequential order.

Example: TM S/N XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX01 was not installed in VIN CA000001

Quote:

- Muffler – Fisker switched muffler suppliers from Stillen to Bosal in VINs starting roughly at [1,000]; Bosal mufflers are more robust and have a much lower failure rate
I'm 99.9% sure bosal mufflers were never installed from the factory. If they were it was very late VINs.
8AVGMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

what was the fault with the ac? mine works but i dont think the automode works good

Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

I have the VIN breakdown for the RDM/TM issue, but I've been told I can't post the exact numbers. I'd have that section read like this.

- RDM/TMs (traction motors) – Early VINs (under [400]) had TMs with soft splines which over time and extended use, could lead to a powertrain failure. Also, earlier VINs (under [1,000]) also had a different clip on the RDM which could cause a failure of the parking pawl.
When determining if the RDM will have an issue, the serial # for the RDM should be inspected, regardless of VIN.

Fixing a bit of info on this one.

- Cooling fan – Both of the cooling fans in the ICE area were prone to failure, causing the infamous fires in Texas and California; all Karmas should have had the fans replaced and fitted with only one fan with a yellow dot in its center area.

The center exhaust didn't really have a VIN changeover that I know of. If there is one, it's much higher than 1000.

- Muffler – Fisker switched muffler suppliers from Stillen to Bosal; Bosal mufflers are more robust and have a much lower failure rate. A quick visual check under the car can tell you which muffler the vehicle has.

The VIN cutoff for the HVAC Control Module is known.

- AC unit – Some AC units of early build cars did not operate properly and needed to be replaced. VINs after 1288 should have the newer module.

Owner of Fix The Karma LLC
http://www.fixthekarma.com
Lormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8AVGMPG View Post
Soft spline traction motors and generators do not have reliable clean points and neither do the differentials equipped with the circular C Clips. These items were not installed in sequential order.

Example: TM S/N XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX01 was not installed in VIN CA000001

I'm 99.9% sure bosal mufflers were never installed from the factory. If they were it was very late VINs.
Is there an approximate VIN vintage that would definitely have the updated RDM/TMs (e.g. anything above 1800 "for sure" has it, etc)?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8AVGMPG View Post
Every Laguna I've looked at had a Bosal in it from the factory. I'm unsure about other colors with really high VIN's though (over 2400 or so)

Owner of Fix The Karma LLC
http://www.fixthekarma.com
Lormax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)

As FA should have Records about what has been changed in the cars, is there a list, where I could Look up my #730?

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de
Original Owner of a 2012 Ecosport Shadow, Black Sand Monotone, #730
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
As FA should have Records about what has been changed in the cars, is there a list, where I could Look up my #730?

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de
I am curious about the same, the last four of my VIN are 1492. It would give me some piece of mind (one way or another) to get that info.

- Phisker
phisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy View Post
I thought it would be helpful to have one central place where someone interested in buying a used (or "new") Karma could go to see a checklist of items that they should review before purchasing a Karma (Mods, can we make this sticky)...

Here's my first cut and please let me know if I have any errors or missed anything (I will try to keep this message updated). From memory:

Critical items
- HV Battery – A123 supplied Fisker with batteries that had faulty hose clamps which made the battery subject to eventual failure; the recall was for nearly all cars of all VINs and should have been completed.
Great idea and very good start!

On the HV battery issue, you are mixing two different problems:

1) The recall of 239 cars in Dec. 2011 to address the faulty hose clamp issue. Since this was an NHTSA recall, all affected cars should have been fixed.

2) The manufacturing defect in batteries produced by A123 at its Livornia, MI facility. This was the problem that affected the Consumer Reports car and a voluntary replacement program (not a recall because it wasn't a safety issue) was announced in March 2012. Fisker/A123 prioritized batteries that were having problems, and authorized dealers to replace them after verifying that the battery was one of the affected serial numbers. I know this because mine was replaced.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Should the hose clamp issue and silicon water leak be added to this list?
EVer1 is offline   Reply With Quote