HV battery below 12 km, turtle mode? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Default HV battery below 12 km, turtle mode?

Hello,

Today I pushed the Fisker to the limits of energy preservation. In sport mode I ran out of gas and battery voltage. The strange thing was that the battery symbol became red likewise the gas symbol, but the range stayed at 12 km all the time. The range didn't go below 12 km??? After some kilometers the car lost power and I was driving in some sort of turtle mode. I just made it to a fuel station. After fueling up the ICE kicked in directly and after driving 4 km the battery symbol was again in white. The ICE made more 'rounds per minute' which implies it was recharging the HV battery at the time. At this time the car is recharing at my house at 220V, 10 A. I hope i didn't damage the HV battery...

Has anyone experience with the above encountered situation of total fuel and battery depletion? (I can confirm the total gas volume is 38 liters)

I don't think the 12 km ~ 7,5 miles remaing is the real remaing range. Any thoughts about that?
B. Surm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Surm View Post
Hello,

Today I pushed the Fisker to the limits of energy preservation. In sport mode I ran out of gas and battery voltage. The strange thing was that the battery symbol became red likewise the gas symbol, but the range stayed at 12 km all the time. The range didn't go below 12 km??? After some kilometers the car lost power and I was driving in some sort of turtle mode. I just made it to a fuel station. After fueling up the ICE kicked in directly and after driving 4 km the battery symbol was again in white. The ICE made more 'rounds per minute' which implies it was recharging the HV battery at the time. At this time the car is recharing at my house at 220V, 10 A. I hope i didn't damage the HV battery...

Has anyone experience with the above encountered situation of total fuel and battery depletion? (I can confirm the total gas volume is 38 liters)

I don't think the 12 km ~ 7,5 miles remaing is the real remaing range. Any thoughts about that?
You canít run the battery to zero thereís a % of battery that is reserve
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, but what about the power loss and the range of 12 km that doesn't decrease? Is there a so called 'turtle mode' like other EV's while running out of 'amperes'?

Today, after a complete recharge, the ICE kicked in twice after starting this morning and the afternoon while in Stealth. Is this coincidence or has it to do with the almost total depletion of the battery and gasoline?

Old 02-18-2020, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)

I seem to recall a post from back in the dark ages that if the car runs out of gas, it dips into the 10% battery reserve to keep the car rolling a long as possible. If true, this will put the HV battery at the risk of permanent damage, or even bricking, but that last 3 KWH can get you about 6 miles, which could get you to a gas station at least.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
I seem to recall a post from back in the dark ages that if the car runs out of gas, it dips into the 10% battery reserve to keep the car rolling a long as possible. If true, this will put the HV battery at the risk of permanent damage, or even bricking, but that last 3 KWH can get you about 6 miles, which could get you to a gas station at least.
Yes, I will never do this again, but it was an interesting experiment, but also a worrisome moment.

The last 4 months the car seems to have no (small) problems at all. No flashing ready errors, no reduced performance errors, nothing!! It seems that the more it drives, the older it becomes less problems appears???