Karma going crazy after battery replacement - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default Karma going crazy after battery replacement

Hello everyone , I am a new member from Finland. I just registered and used the search option but did not find a exactly similar problem so I decided to make a new topic and ask the experts =)

I bought my Fisker Karma model year 2012 as used last summer and drove it till September with no problems at all. After September I have had the car storaged for the Winter in my garage (last 3 months).

The problem is the following. Yesterday I found out that the battery had completely died so according to the instructions on this forum I replaced the old battery with a new Varta E39 12v battery. After connecting the new battery the car started constantly to flash the emergency lights and the lights wont shut off, dashboard lights on the other hand flash on for a couple of seconds in the beginning but then shut down completety, the car cannot be started, the gearbox consol has lights and the gear is on Park, doors cant be opened from the inside and the windows rolled down.

I tried several times to do the hard reset according to the instructions on the forum but it wont help. I also have a basic obd-scanner so i ran it and it found a error code POA7B that according to the scanner refers to some kind of battery energy control module. I was able to erase the error code but after hard resetting the car i comes always back.

Do you have any suggestions what could be the problem and solution to get the car running normally again?

-Timo
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Hello everyone , I am a new member from Finland. I just registered and used the search option but did not find a exactly similar problem so I decided to make a new topic and ask the experts =)

I bought my Fisker Karma model year 2012 as used last summer and drove it till September with no problems at all. After September I have had the car storaged for the Winter in my garage (last 3 months).

The problem is the following. Yesterday I found out that the battery had completely died so according to the instructions on this forum I replaced the old battery with a new Varta E39 12v battery. After connecting the new battery the car started constantly to flash the emergency lights and the lights wont shut off, dashboard lights on the other hand flash on for a couple of seconds in the beginning but then shut down completety, the car cannot be started, the gearbox consol has lights and the gear is on Park, doors cant be opened from the inside and the windows rolled down.

I tried several times to do the hard reset according to the instructions on the forum but it wont help. I also have a basic obd-scanner so i ran it and it found a error code POA7B that according to the scanner refers to some kind of battery energy control module. I was able to erase the error code but after hard resetting the car i comes always back.

Do you have any suggestions what could be the problem and solution to get the car running normally again?

-Timo
I would bet you lost the VCM wakeup signal if the shifter isnt orange and the dash lights don't come on .
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

How I can fix it if I lost the VCM wakeup signal?

Old 01-21-2020, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
How I can fix it if I lost the VCM wakeup signal?
This can only be done with Prodis (Fisker service computer).

Bring the car to someone with a Fisker WDI or send the VCM unit so it can be flashed. There is also an alternative to bring a technician with a service computer to your home…
SirCastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do you know some in Sweden some have Prodis?
Old 01-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
I would bet you lost the VCM wakeup signal if the shifter isnt orange and the dash lights don't come on .
@Harleyguy @SirCastic

If i understood right it is possible to send the VCM unit to the Service technician so they can fix the wakeup signal/Flash it? How does this procedure work? For example do the keys need to be paired etc.? Is there any instructons on how to dismount the VCM unit from the Karma? After getting the VCM unit back from fixing the wake up signal/flashing does it need any further Computer programming or is it just to install the part and thats it?

Thank you both in advance and for the previous comments they already helped a lot.

-Timo
Old 01-22-2020, 06:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
@Harleyguy @SirCastic

If i understood right it is possible to send the VCM unit to the Service technician so they can fix the wakeup signal/Flash it? How does this procedure work? For example do the keys need to be paired etc.? Is there any instructons on how to dismount the VCM unit from the Karma? After getting the VCM unit back from fixing the wake up signal/flashing does it need any further Computer programming or is it just to install the part and thats it?

Thank you both in advance and for the previous comments they already helped a lot.

-Timo
The key chip / coding is not affected when flashing your own VCM module, as far as I know. If it is a new module (or an old one from another car) then the keys must be paired with the new VCM module, however this can also be done in another Karma.

Contact Fisker Philly [email protected] or Harleyguy [email protected], they are very knowledgeable and they are able to help you further in this matter.

What is required is that the VCM module is connected in another Karma and then flashed to be returned to you.
SirCastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCastic View Post
The key chip / coding is not affected when flashing your own VCM module, as far as I know. If it is a new module (or an old one from another car) then the keys must be paired with the new VCM module, however this can also be done in another Karma.

Contact Fisker Philly [email protected] or Harleyguy [email protected], they are very knowledgeable and they are able to help you further in this matter.

What is required is that the VCM module is connected in another Karma and then flashed to be returned to you.

Thank you for the fast reply. This is a very helpful community.

-Timo