Clipper Creek charger, power fault and charging fault flashing - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Default Clipper Creek charger, power fault and charging fault flashing

I bought a new Clipper Creek charger a few years back (2 years ago, I think?) when I had to have some other repairs done. It's been in a 110V outlet in my garage ever since.

Yesterday I was charging it like normal, and all seemed well. I unplugged it to go run an errand, then when I came back I saw that the charger was flashing: both "power fault" and "charging fault" were flashing. This was before I plugged it in, I just saw it as soon as I pulled in the garage.

Remembering that the "power fault" light usually implies an outlet issue, I moved it to another outlet in the garage. But nope, same issue.

Then I brought it in the house and plugged it in, and neither of the lights were flashing! So yay!

Next day I took it back to the garage, thinking maybe it just needed time to cool down and think about what it had done (haha), but nope, they're still flashing in the garage. In any outlet.

But I checked a few other tools in the same outlets, and they work fine. None of the tools I have were 3-prong, though, so that might be worth noting.

Being a bit of a DIYer, and not exactly keen on spending several thousand dollars on an electrician in a bad economy, I thought I'd turn to you guys first. Any suggestions on what I might try?
GoNC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Default Could be an issue with the grounding at your home or from plug to charger.

Could be an issue with the grounding at your home, use a multimeter to test your outlets for proper grounding and test for broken or interrupted ground wire from plug to charger.

Your hot wire and your neutral wire appear to be okay but it could also be that the neutral wire is broken or interrupted. However, chargers are sensitive to grounding problems…
SirCastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just checked. The ground plug of the outlet didn't seem to be working, but when I took it out and tested the wires directly, they were! So, I thought maybe a bad outlet in all 5 locations? I do have wasps and dirt daubers out there, so it's not impossible that they've dug in all of the ground plugs.

I bought a new receptacle and it seems to meter correctly, but the charger still throws the same error.

So just to make 100% sure that I did this right...

I put the red cable for the meter on the black wire from the house, then the black cable to the white wire. I get 120-122V. Then I move the black cable to the ground, and also get 120-122V. Right?

My only other guess is that the ground is there, just maybe not great?

Old 10-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

After much poking and prodding, I've come to the conclusion that the problem is with the charger itself. With both lights flashing, the manual actually says that there's an internal fault and to contact Clipper Creek.

I emailed them on Tuesday.

So far, no reply :-(

I guess I'll have to come up with $400 for a new one on Amazon. It's not like I have $400 to blow these days, but if I don't then I'll have spent that in 2 months on gas, so...
Old 10-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Any thoughts on Zencar versus Clipper Creek?

https://www.amazon.com/Zencar-Portab.../dp/B077N25YTG

Half the price with seemingly good Amazon reviews makes it tempting. And I'm not exactly blown away with Clipper Creek's service (no reply yet).
Old 10-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNC2 View Post
Any thoughts on Zencar versus Clipper Creek?

https://www.amazon.com/Zencar-Portab.../dp/B077N25YTG

Half the price with seemingly good Amazon reviews makes it tempting. And I'm not exactly blown away with Clipper Creek's service (no reply yet).
I ave a fairly new used 110 Volt Clipper Creek one For Sale if all else fails
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote