Fair price to pay for a used Karma? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Fair price to pay for a used Karma?

Hey all. I'm looking at a used Karma today that appears to have a few issues. Here are the seller's notes:

Quote:
Tech said the main hybrid battery would need to be replaced if the check engine light goes on, which happened.

They also said the test control module needs to be replaced.

The small battery was recently replaced.

I once pressed the accelerator (flattened it) and the car stopped working. The rotating band had come apart, so it was replaced. Since then, a couple few times the engine was smoking and rattling and we took it in. It stopped but it may start up again.
I'm assuming in the last paragraph he's referring to the coupler that often fails. So it seems at least that's been replaced but the car needs an HV battery and the engine issue is concerning though he mentions it stopped and if we were dealing with a catastrophic failure like some have seen on the engine, it wouldn't stop. So I look at that as a silver lining. I've got experience with salvage Teslas but nothing with Karmas. I just love the way the car looks and figured if I could get it cheap enough it would be an interesting project. So the question is what's a fair price to pay for this?

There are a lot of unknowns. I don't know if it drives in any fashion right now but I'm assuming it doesn't. It does turn on and boot up though. No idea on any codes or readiness lights though. I will know more on that when I look at it.

I guess the question is, what's the going rate for a Karma with 35k miles in an inoperative state? What would you offer? He doesn't want much for the car to begin with but before I say how much he does want, I'd like to hear what you guys think it's worth so I'm not skewing anyone's opinion.

On a side note, even if it needs an HV battery, is it possible to operate the vehicle in range extender mode regularly or will it just not operate after enough of the modules in the battery fail?

Speaking of the battery, does it use an array of generic cells like the Model S/ X or is it using propriety packs?

Anything else I should look for with the car?
monkeemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage

Wow that is a pretty brutally honest seller. I think if he is telling you the battery would need to be replaced, I would not go near it personally. And 'control module' could be a very serious fix too. And those are just known issues - what about things he hasn't done that aren't broken yet, like the RDM fix.

When it comes to cars in an 'inoperative state', I think you have to look at auction listings which usually have body damage also, so hard to say, but if you can get a new one for mid-30s that has NOTHING wrong with it, then 20 seems pretty fair for something in this condition.
Karma #328: Shadow on Monsoon Tri-tone
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Looked at the car and physically it was nice but it hasn't been plugged in for at least 6 - 8 months and the 12v battery is dead. The owner's wall charger is also bad and he doesn't seem keen on me charging the 12v in the car so I can see what's working and what's not but I'm assuming since it's been dead for awhile there's a lot that's not working or that would need to be reset. The thing is, I'd have to buy the car and tow it out of there before I could really know what I'm up against and I'm not keen on doing that unless it was stupid cheap.

Given all the issues, I'm assuming it's a parts car. I'd hate to put the money into it and then have the motors give out or find out there's a real problem with an engine. The fact that both front control arms are bad is also suspect. It seems like a cool project but something that I'd need to get under 10k to even pique my interest.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeemike View Post
Looked at the car and physically it was nice but it hasn't been plugged in for at least 6 - 8 months and the 12v battery is dead. The owner's wall charger is also bad and he doesn't seem keen on me charging the 12v in the car so I can see what's working and what's not but I'm assuming since it's been dead for awhile there's a lot that's not working or that would need to be reset. The thing is, I'd have to buy the car and tow it out of there before I could really know what I'm up against and I'm not keen on doing that unless it was stupid cheap.

Given all the issues, I'm assuming it's a parts car. I'd hate to put the money into it and then have the motors give out or find out there's a real problem with an engine. The fact that both front control arms are bad is also suspect. It seems like a cool project but something that I'd need to get under 10k to even pique my interest.
Run far away
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

is it worth the sum of it's parts if I could get it for 10K?
Old 09-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Default Fisker Karma for sale

I am considering selling my 2012 Karma EcoSport with Shadow exterior and Monsoon Tri-Tone interior. Has only about 8,500 miles, always garaged and with all software updates plus a new 12V battery.

Know of anyone interested or how to best approach selling?

Jim Minyard
214-850-8402
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Fisker Sticker.jpeg (174.7 KB, 12 views)
jminyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminyard View Post
I am considering selling my 2012 Karma EcoSport with Shadow exterior and Monsoon Tri-Tone interior. Has only about 8,500 miles, always garaged and with all software updates plus a new 12V battery.

Know of anyone interested or how to best approach selling?

Jim Minyard
214-850-8402
contact - https://evolutionautosports.com , they are by far the best to consult on value and even should be consider to broker the deal for you. if I were to ever sell mine, that the way I would go, but not selling , how could ever part with such beauty - lol

mine is currently with Joe getting the annual look over to make sure nothing is out of line -- live my heat pumps, they need care to run and provide me with comfort.