Fisker Karma Options During long-term Storage? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Default Fisker Karma Options During long-term Storage?

Living in an all seasons climate, (MI) I am interested in your opinion on storing a Karma during the winter months.

With the potential of not being able to drive it as-is during the winter ice/snow months. Potentially Nov-March ... 5 months+ ... Would you leave on a trickle charge for 5 months and be fine? ... start up every couple of weeks in the garage and go nowhere due to snow and be fine? ... remove the 12v battery completely and let the car sit for 5 months and be fine? ... drive with winter wheels/tires as much as possible to keep the car moving and deal with the salt/roads during MI winters and be better off?

Let me know your thoughts and if you are an owner in a climate that you are unable to drive year round.

Thanks
Mike.
aburnsmi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburnsmi1 View Post
Living in an all seasons climate, (MI) I am interested in your opinion on storing a Karma during the winter months.

With the potential of not being able to drive it as-is during the winter ice/snow months. Potentially Nov-March ... 5 months+ ... Would you leave on a trickle charge for 5 months and be fine? ... start up every couple of weeks in the garage and go nowhere due to snow and be fine? ... remove the 12v battery completely and let the car sit for 5 months and be fine? ... drive with winter wheels/tires as much as possible to keep the car moving and deal with the salt/roads during MI winters and be better off?

Let me know your thoughts and if you are an owner in a climate that you are unable to drive year round.

Thanks
Mike.
Al of the above is a good idea but I wouldnt remove the 12 volt battery you might loose the wakeup signal for the vcm. Plus you don't need to remove it the battery has a disconnect under the hood. If you run the car in the garage you should let it run for the better part of 45 minutes to charge the 12 volt battery.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. Any chance of other things going wrong, or malfunctioning in a Karma if the car is not driven for 5 months?

Also, if you need to replace the 12v battery due to age, is there a risk of loosing the wakeup signal for the vcm during the process of fitting a new battery?

Thanks

Old 08-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:

Thanks
Mike.
I am not in a cold weather party of the country, but for various reasons my Fisker goes months without being driven at times. One of the more recent software updates made it so that the 12 volt battery gets charged when the drive battery is plugged in. So, I have left the car for up to 4 months with just the normal drive battery plugged in. When I would start to drive it, it sometimes takes a bit for all the software to "wake up" but I've not had a problem.
1993 Corvette ZR-1
Charged in The OC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks. Is it the 235 software upgrade you are referring to?
Old 08-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Any chance of other things going wrong, or malfunctioning in a Karma if the car is not driven for 5 months?

Also, if you need to replace the 12v battery due to age, is there a risk of loosing the wakeup signal for the vcm during the process of fitting a new battery?

Thanks
I haven't read of any such issues when performing a battery change, and I changed mine a few months ago without any issues.

I would think that it would take a certain amount of time with no charge for this to happen, but I have no idea how long that is.
Silver Wind EcoChic, Glacier Life Hemisphere Interior (#0358)
EasyEd is offline   Reply With Quote