Blue book value - Page 2 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I finally got rid of my piece of junk Fisker... In the three years i owned it, bought new, it was in the shop 50% of the time. Once the company went bankrupt, it sat dead for weeks on end until i would tow it to Dallas to be fixed...to break again shortly thereafter.

But getting rid of it was impossible....nobody wants to buy them, and most importantly nobody will trade for it. Literally, not one dealer will touch it. I finally found www.givemethevin.com and they bought it, with problems, for $28k. Had 30,000 miles 2012.

Contact me directly for a referral to the buyer: gene at pop labs dot com
netwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Bummer to hear about your Karma. Anecdotally, prices seem to have been coming down a bit in the last six months... sales look like they are happening between $33-38k. Don't know about Blue Book - the Karma is kind of one of those cars where it's worth what someone will pay. As an aside, I should say that HarleyGuy has always been very courteous and responsive. He isn't paid for any of the advice he gives on the forums, which has helped me and countless other owners. Its people like HarleyGuy, PowerSource and others that make Fisker ownership a better experience by helping us identify root causes of the symptoms we see on our cars. I know I'm exceptionally appreciative of their help. Best of luck in your sale!!!
TahoeKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstunt101 View Post
Unfortunately I’m fed up and now looking into getting rid of my karma. The issue is there’s no blue book value on the car. Every dealer I talk to gets quiet when I tell them my trade in is a karma. I would love to keep the car but the issues are too great to deal with. I thank @FiskerPhilly for the help he gave over the phone. I sent @Harleyguy pms asking for support and advice on how to PAY to get issues resolved but didn’t get much feedback, it’s funny how when others have issues the tool is offered to be shipped to them but I wasn’t extended this convenience. Just to be clear my money is green also, it spends just like everyone else’s .
Gee Dan, I think you have to consider exactly what you are saying here...particularly when being new around these parts and throwing shade at a long-time forum supporter.

1) It is unfortunate that you seem to be "fed up" fairly quickly. Even with Porsches, Astons, BMWs, McLarens, etc., I have sometimes had to wait a month for a good solution to an issue. I think maybe you owe yourself a little more time and patience to get this car where you want it and can depend on it. To say the issues are "too great" seems a bit of an over-reaction, since my guess that if you drove this car into a qualified tech, its issues would be fixed in a matter of days. I completely understand the frustration of odd errors, and I also love to work on my own cars, but this is not one I'd suggest for a new DIY project.

2) you bought a technically sophisticated car and then changed out a fairly important component, so I think you need to consider that there are many interdependent systems that a trained professional might be better at diagnosing and fixing (Pat's Garage is my go-to for amazing work)

3) When asking for help on a forum, the other party is under no obligation to help, whether or not $$ is involved. Our local "tech support" people on this forum are nice enough to share wisdom and time, but I hope you'd understand that things like tool loans and "online" diagnostics may take a loooong time when done through forum that is primarily intended for casual informational sharing.

4) when you're the last guy to walk into a party, I find it is a good policy to "read the room" a bit before making too many loud pronouncements. Its also not really reasonable to expect to get the same treatment and/or response that a forum member of 2, 4, or 6 years of activity might be afforded.

5) you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. My Mom taught me that.

6) As for Blue Book, what did you pay for it, if I might ask?

Dave_Car_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Elite Motorsports and how my Karma was valued

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
I’ve had had COUNTLESS issue with the local Fisker “expert.” Try @alexpop in CA. He’s about 4.5 hours away and owns Elite Motorspots. Long-time Fisker mechanic and true expert.
I wanted to second the endorsement for Alex Pop at Elite Motorsports in Orange County. https://elitemotorsoc.com . He took great care of my Karma every time something came up.

On the BlueBook value, yes there is none but I can share how my insurance company came up with a value when my Karma was taken away from me in a total loss (fire in garage, not caused by the Fisker but by the BMW parked next to it). They found 2 for sale in other parts of California (I am in San Diego). The average of those 2 sales prices was $47,425.

Oh but those were not Signature Editions, which mine was (#78) so I figured it should be worth a little more. They didn't care about that, but they did care about factoring in any options at the time it was purchased brand new. I tracked down the Build Sheet from that day (through a very helpful Karma Automotive employee) and the Signature Edition included lots of options. I also found the Build Sheets for the 2 other Karmas (for sale). That got the value up to $49,150. It had about 24k miles on it when it burned in 2017.

I purchased it for 8,400 miles on it in 2015 for $59,995. So while it's fair to say I got a great deal of fun out of it, it was not the 'break-even'/appreciate a little endeavor I had imagined. It was a money sink as well with the 6 or 7 issues I had (2 of which were pretty major). But man that was a fun car!
ohme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately I’m fed up and now looking into getting rid of my karma. The issue is there’s no blue book value on the car. Every dealer I talk to gets quiet when I tell them my trade in is a karma. I would love to keep the car but the issues are too great to deal with. I thank @FiskerPhilly for the help he gave over the phone. I sent @Harleyguy pms asking for support and advice on how to PAY to get issues resolved but didn’t get much feedback, it’s funny how when others have issues the tool is offered to be shipped to them but I wasn’t extended this convenience. Just to be clear my money is green also, it spends just like everyone else’s .
Gee Dan, I think you have to consider exactly what you are saying here...particularly when being new around these parts and throwing shade at a long-time forum supporter.

1) It is unfortunate that you seem to be "fed up" fairly quickly. Even with Porsches, Astons, BMWs, McLarens, etc., I have sometimes had to wait a month for a good solution to an issue. I think maybe you owe yourself a little more time and patience to get this car where you want it and can depend on it. To say the issues are "too great" seems a bit of an over-reaction, since my guess that if you drove this car into a qualified tech, its issues would be fixed in a matter of days. I completely understand the frustration of odd errors, and I also love to work on my own cars, but this is not one I'd suggest for a new DIY project.

2) you bought a technically sophisticated car and then changed out a fairly important component, so I think you need to consider that there are many interdependent systems that a trained professional might be better at diagnosing and fixing (Pat's Garage is my go-to for amazing work)

3) When asking for help on a forum, the other party is under no obligation to help, whether or not $$ is involved. Our local "tech support" people on this forum are nice enough to share wisdom and time, but I hope you'd understand that things like tool loans and "online" diagnostics may take a loooong time when done through forum that is primarily intended for casual informational sharing.

4) when you're the last guy to walk into a party, I find it is a good policy to "read the room" a bit before making too many loud pronouncements. Its also not really reasonable to expect to get the same treatment and/or response that a forum member of 2, 4, or 6 years of activity might be afforded.

5) you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. My Mom taught me that.

6) As for Blue Book, what did you pay for it, if I might ask?
I paid $48,500 in 2016 , I took it to a “certified tech” here in Az and he couldn’t find the problem. So that’s when I got the notion that it was time to trade it in, I’ve had exotics before and foreign cars and usually anything can be fixed if you’re willing to pay.
danstunt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I paid $48,500 in 2016 , I took it to a “certified tech” here in Az and he couldn’t find the problem. So that’s when I got the notion that it was time to trade it in, I’ve had exotics before and foreign cars and usually anything can be fixed if you’re willing to pay.
I stand corrected! thanks for the explanation. Sorry to hear you couldn't get the AZ tech to fix things. I'm sure that is frustrating, but I also think that we who have dealt with these cars have come to the conclusion that there are "tiers" in the quality of the tech service you can find, so that is why the 3-5 well-known techs get all the business and why it means that only people near those techs tend to keep their cars for a long time.

I didn't realize you had the car since 2016, so rprice-wise, it seems you are still in the same ball-park as your purchase (I think of these as $42-46K retail and high-$30s wholesale but I am probably way out of date).

If you know anyone at a specialty dealership, they can tell you about wholesale prices at auctions like the Mannheim auctions. Maybe someone on this forum has access to Manheim price lists (hello anyone?) to tell you what kind prices have been paid at the wholesale level.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
I stand corrected! thanks for the explanation. Sorry to hear you couldn't get the AZ tech to fix things. I'm sure that is frustrating, but I also think that we who have dealt with these cars have come to the conclusion that there are "tiers" in the quality of the tech service you can find, so that is why the 3-5 well-known techs get all the business and why it means that only people near those techs tend to keep their cars for a long time.

I didn't realize you had the car since 2016, so rprice-wise, it seems you are still in the same ball-park as your purchase (I think of these as $42-46K retail and high-$30s wholesale but I am probably way out of date).

If you know anyone at a specialty dealership, they can tell you about wholesale prices at auctions like the Mannheim auctions. Maybe someone on this forum has access to Manheim price lists (hello anyone?) to tell you what kind prices have been paid at the wholesale level.
thanks for your input, I will look into those avenues
Old 07-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I have a friend with a dealership... he looked at Manheim wholesale prices for me. He sent me recent transactions (5) which were much lower than I expected. $32,250 7500 miles on 7/11/19 CA
$29,750 16609 miles on 1/24/19 CA
$22,000 40576 miles on 1/23/19 FL
$27,000 30806 miles on 12/20/18 GA
$33,000 2976 miles on 11/20/18 CA

He says base price auction prices are telling him $28,400 with average miles of 21300.

You might be best off selling at a retail auction. Barrett Jackson, Mecum, or Bring-a-Trailer.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
I have a friend with a dealership... he looked at Mannheim wholesale prices for me. He sent me recent transactions (5) which were much lower than I expected. $32,250 7500 miles on 7/11/19 CA
$29,750 16609 miles on 1/24/19 CA
$22,000 40576 miles on 1/23/19 FL
$27,000 30806 miles on 12/20/18 GA
$33.000 2976 miles on 11/20/18 CA
yes that sounds about right. Carvana cutthroat asses quoted me $17000 !! But I can’t judge them because it’s business
Old 07-17-2019, 11:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Dave_Car_Guy;326215] "Pat's Garage is my go-to for amazing work"
I'll second that!!! Pat's garage is a great place in the Bay Area...
TahoeKarma is offline   Reply With Quote