Strange smell in cabin suddenly while driving - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Default Strange smell in cabin suddenly while driving

Hello all,

Yesterday evening somethings strange happened. I hope you can help to find the problem. I will point out the situation very detailed, probably too much information, but maybe it is of importance:

Yesterday I drove to a family meeting which was a 150 km trip. As usual I started in Stealth mode and when 45 km left in the HV battery I started Sport mode which leaves the battery after some minutes at 43 km. The last 40 km I turned back to Stealth mode and at the location I charge the car at a public charger. I arrived around 2 PM and drove back home at 9.30 PM. Same driving modes, so started in Stealth, when 45 km left in the HV battery I started Sport mode. In Stealth mode most of the time a drive around 105 km/h, when there is not much of traffic on the highway I drive the maximum allowed speed of 130 km/h, also this time. I let the motor get warm in Sport mode for 5-10 minutes at 105 km/h. After driving 20 km in Sport mode at a sudden a strange smell came into the cabin from the vents. It smells like welding iron. I didn't stop and drove the rest of 80-90 km's home. When switching back to Stealth mode the last 40 km's the smell did'nt go away. So it seemed not to be related with the ICE. After arriving home I checked the braking rotors, but they were not warm. When driving I checked the energy consumption from the battery, but this was normal at 100, 120 and 130 km/h. I looked under the hood, but nothing looked burned. Only at the passenger's side some oily substance was leaking a very little little bit (picture will be posted later). I plugged in the car and would inspect again with day light.

Today I did again inspection. The car was plugged in. I started the car and a high pitch tone came from under the hood. It seems to be a pump, pumping (at maximum speed?) a blue fluid. The fluid is a little hot and the level is within range. When the car is not plugged in this pump is not pumping at high speed, and now the big ventilator came on, which was not the case when the car was plugged in. No faults were reported from the OBD reader. Fluid temperature 24 degrees Celsius.

I drove a small distance in Stealth mode and the same odor came from the vents. The ICE was not activated. I noticed that the cabin ventilators are not working. Some ventilations comes from the vents when driving, but no active ventilation??? When changing the ventilation speed, nothing happens. The air conditioning seems to work, but because the ventilators are not working I put the windows down. Putting them back up the strange odor comes back. When thinking back at yesterday evening the ventilators seemed working, but I was driving at 130 km/h, so probably at that time they were not working, so because of the speed there was (passive) ventilation.

Does anyone have a clue what the problem is?
- where does the smell come from?
- why does the active cabin ventilation not work?
- is a fuse burned?
- is fluid leaking somewhere?
- is something burning away?
- is it related to the airbag replacement a week ago?
- something else?

Thanks in advance for your help en knowledge.

Bart
B. Surm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yesterday I called the service center. Probably the Blower Motor is burned due to some water leakage somewhere. It will be repared tommorow and the leakage cause be taken care of.

I found this post. A regular issue of the FK. Should this water drainage / leakage cause be checked during regular maintenance?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Surm View Post
Only at the passenger's side was leaking a very little little bit (picture will be posted later).

Old 07-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pats Garage Fisker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

That sound exactly right, blower motor can get wet in heavy rain or when washing the car. I would unplug the 12v connector as the small short at the blower motor can cause the 12v battery to drain down and the car wont start. Or you could pull the Fuse from the fusebox to prevent it from getting power untill you get it fixed.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I hope this link does work:

Old 07-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pats Garage Fisker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
I hope this link does work:

Here i made it work

But this is not the cause of your issue, that's is the turbo and its common for them to have a slight leak there.

Last edited by Nazc0; 07-10-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Nazc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazc0 View Post
Here i made it work

But this is not the cause of your issue, that's is the turbo and its common for them to have a slight leak there.
Thanks. Wat was the problem with the link to the picture?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yesterday the blower moter was changed. One of the driver side water draining holes was covered with dirt en leaves. Aparantly this is an important item to check during regular service. Also the tubes / hoses below the draining holes are now being removed, because in practice this causes problems by obstructing the water drainage due to cumulating dirt inside it. This should have no other consequences was said by the mechanic. I will post pictures later of the burned circuit of the blower motor.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Pictures added. I suppose just a little bit of water came in, but enough to shorten the circuitboard… Some corrosion is visible within the annotated red ovals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1264.jpg (213.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1265.jpg (200.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1266 ann.jpg (259.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1267 ann.jpg (223.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

After some research at the forum this blower seems to be exactly equal to the Chevrolet Corvette 2010-2014