Problem with battery modules, acceleration, and cables - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2019, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default Problem with battery modules, acceleration, and cables

Hello,

I am an owner of a Fisker and I am new to the forum. I have a problem where when the car is driven, the battery indicator on the dashboard goes down rapidly until it marks that the battery is dead. The car also struggles to accelerate properly, where you have to wait a couple seconds until it slowly starts picking up speed. Does anyone have an idea of why this could be happening? My guess would be something in the modules but I am not sure.

I have also attached a picture of some cables, and would like to know if the one marked with red tape goes to the inverter and the one with blue tape goes to the air compressor for the AC. The cables don't have anything to do with the earlier problem, it's just that Ive made the mistake of unplugging them.

Cable Pic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p7P...ew?usp=sharing

Thank you!!
nichevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichevo View Post
Hello,

I am an owner of a Fisker and I am new to the forum. I have a problem where when the car is driven, the battery indicator on the dashboard goes down rapidly until it marks that the battery is dead. The car also struggles to accelerate properly, where you have to wait a couple seconds until it slowly starts picking up speed. Does anyone have an idea of why this could be happening? My guess would be something in the modules but I am not sure.

Hello and welcome to the Fisker community. Sorry that your first message has to be this one.

The problems you are describing sound like the classic symptoms of one or more bad modules in the battery. Sounds like you have already done some research on this, and there are many threads discussing this issue, for example this one.

While this is definitely repairable, it needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing. Where are you located? I suggest starting with @FiskerPhilly and go from there.

Good luck.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichevo View Post
Hello,

I have also attached a picture of some cables, and would like to know if the one marked with red tape goes to the inverter and the one with blue tape goes to the air compressor for the AC. The cables don't have anything to do with the earlier problem, it's just that Ive made the mistake of unplugging them.

Cable Pic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p7P...ew?usp=sharing

Thank you!!

HV-Battery
Diagnose the HV-Battery problems with an OBD2 Scanner, gives an rough estimate of the problem. You need someone with a Fisker Karma WDI (Prodis) to pinpoint the exact problem.

Cables (your picture)
Red to the front (red = heat).
Blue down to the electric Air Conditioning compressor (blue = cold).
The “unmark” cable is connected to the Accessory Power Module (APM) (your inverters are located in the rear end)).

By the way, I really hope that you have disconnected the 12-volt battery connector (– Negative, Black) and that the MSD is completely pulled off and stored while you work on the car…

Last edited by SirCastic; 05-28-2019 at 07:23 PM.
SirCastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCastic View Post
HV-Battery
Diagnose the HV-Battery problems with an OBD2 Scanner, gives an rough estimate of the problem. You need someone with a Fisker Karma WDI (Prodis) to pinpoint the exact problem.

Cables (your picture)
Red to the front (red = heat).
Blue down to the electric Air Conditioning compressor (blue = cold).
The “unmark” cable is connected to the Accessory Power Module (APM) (your inverters are located in the rear end)).

By the way, I really hope that you have disconnected the 12-volt battery connector (– Negative, Black) and that the MSD is completely pulled off and stored while you work on the car…
Hello,

Thank you so much for your help! I was able to plug back the cables in. But I am having a problem where electricity is not being fed through the 12-volt system to the car, which makes the windows, display, etc. not work. I have connected electricity directly to the car and everything works fine. But a couple days back I was plugging in the 12-volt and a spark was produced, and I unplugged immediately. I was wondering if the car had a safety measure where it would cut the electricity from the 12-volt to the car. If not, what do you think it could be?

Also, it is giving me the power steering symbol on the dash, and when I check there is no electricity going into the power steering. Does that have something to do with he 12 volt as well?

Again, thank you so much for your help!
Old 05-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Did you reverse polarity on your 12-volt system by any chance?

Perhaps it's just a blown fuse or chaffing on your wire harness but I think that you have a problem with your VCM. If the doors, windows, display, etc. are dead it looks like the VCM has been damaged (providing your 12-volt battery is fully charged).

I think you need some help from an experienced technician with a Fisker work shop tool (Prodis).

Try to contact FiskerPhilly or Harleyguy.
SirCastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Alright will do! Thank you for all the help!
Old 06-02-2019, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage

Fisker Philly (Joe Ferrante, Evolution Autosports), near Philadelphia, is awesome. He has helped me with all my Fisker issues and has been totally professional, reliable, fair, and has done a great job. Good luck.
Signature Car #13, Silver Mirage, Tri-Tone Mohave
buzinvest is offline   Reply With Quote