Interferences, Bad connections? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2019, 05:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Default Interferences, Bad connections?

Hi Guys.
I belive that I got some bad connections or interferences somewhere in my Karma. I often got an alert about right hand headlight (but it works 100%), or an alert about the tyre pressure (but they are 100% correct). Sometimes I notice that the gear selectors flashes during driving. Sometimes when I start the car, the ac control on the screen is blank = No info.

Anyone out there that recognize those problems?
Is there anything that ca be done?

I have noo idea of what software I got. Can I find that info somewhere?
Thank you.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Sounds like a weak 12v battery (or bad connection) or water in the CIU.

Change the 12-volt battery if its older than 4 – 5 years (in the right wheelhouse / fender), otherwise try to charge it (connector fuse box front left side). If water in CIU, pray and re-flash the CIU (requires special tool (PUMA tool and the right CIU firmware on a USB-stick) or Fisker WDI)).
SirCastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

I measured the 12 volt battery, and it showed 12,3 volts. Sounds good to me.

How can there be water in the CIU? Where is it located?

Old 03-25-2019, 06:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.I.R View Post
I measured the 12 volt battery, and it showed 12,3 volts. Sounds good to me.

How can there be water in the CIU? Where is it located?

Well, A good healthy car battery should register no less than 12.6 Volts.
To complicate matters further, you have to consider the sunroof and the fact that the 12V battery is maintained by the HV battery via the APM module.

You have to unplug the battery in order to get a correct reading (or disconnect the sunroof and see to that the APM module does not produce any charging current during the measurement). And at the same time, you really need a bench instrument in order to test your 12V battery.

In my opinion, just get a new 12V battery…
Its so essential to the Karma and you do not want the VCM to lose the “wake up signal”… A new battery every fourth / fifth year is a very good insurance and gives you some peace of mind.

Regarding water in the CIU:
https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13...-ciu-leak.html
SirCastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Yeah, I came to think about that last night. I did´nt disconnect the solarpanel or the apm panel.
Anyway, today I changed the 12 v battery. One hour work, and know I know that´s a new one in there.

Been reading some posts about the CIU, but I dont have those kind of problems.
I´ll test the new battery now for some days, and see how it turns out.

I still have the alert about the right hand headlight. Seems to be a bad connection on the actual socket. A good idea to change the lamp, or try to clean the socket?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.I.R View Post
Hi Guys.
I belive that I got some bad connections or interferences somewhere in my Karma. I often got an alert about right hand headlight (but it works 100%), or an alert about the tyre pressure (but they are 100% correct). Sometimes I notice that the gear selectors flashes during driving. Sometimes when I start the car, the ac control on the screen is blank = No info.

Anyone out there that recognize those problems?
Is there anything that ca be done?

I have noo idea of what software I got. Can I find that info somewhere?
Thank you.

I think you have a collection of largely unrelated things, none of which are likely due to your battery or connections.

Headlight Alert: I've received a message like this a handful of times over seven years, and in every case the headlight is working fine and the message doesn't return the next time the car is started. My uneducated guess is that something didn't complete properly during the vehicle startup sequence or the software got 'confused' and led to a spurious error. As ridiculous as that sounds, there are plenty of threads here about the software's fragility at startup, the start sequences owners have worked out, and generally, the importance of letting the car wake up slowly.

Tyre pressure/TPMS. Multiple known challenges here, including the fact that the pressure reported onscreen does not account for atmospheric so it is greatly exaggerated from actual pressure, or that the pressure display can only be accessed when there is a warning condition, and even then only for a moment. It's also possible that the wheel it is reporting is not the right wheel if you've ever rotated or changed tyres, etc. Search these forums for "TPMS"

Gear Selector flashing: Benign and common "feature" of the Karma. Search for "Disco PRND" for more information.

Screen blank at startup: This is also not uncommon and frequently a symptom of the startup sequence being interrupted or confused.

Regarding Start-up, here's some general tips and the sequence I follow. Everyone has their own. The big key is to take your time, and let the car finish one thing before asking it to begin another.

-I enter the car and wait for the welcome chime to complete
-I press the "start" button _without_ my foot on the brake pedal to start ACC mode. (while this is going I usually fiddle with putting my phone in the mount)
-When the ACC mode is done starting (the range bars have filled in) I press the brake and press Start to put the car in Ready mode
-Once the car is fully in ready mode i press Accept on the screen.

It takes about 45 seconds start to finish, and I am fairly certain that some of it may not be strictly necessary and some may be superstition at this point, but then again, my car starts correctly and completely > 99% of the time. It works for me.

Good luck!

Brent