Coolant not cycling? - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Coolant not cycling?

HI everyone- this is my first post. I usually always find my answers in other threads except for this problem.
I have a 2012 Karma EcoChic. I just replaced the radiator, fan, turbo inner cooler, a/c condenser and the radiator support. I filled all 3 coolant tanks one time so far- so I have not had to "top it off". I have drove less than 50 miles so far with no warning lights on. My problem is that I have no heat in the cabin. The controls are all working fine and there is air blowing- just not hot air. I have tried this in both driving modes and with a full battery and a full gas tank. On a gas only vehicle I know this symptom usually means there is an air bubble in the coolant system. I know how to "burp" those systems but nothing is helping the Karma. Also none of the coolant tanks have needed any topping off since the original fill so I dont think any of the coolant is cycling. I am stumped. How can I burp this system? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
bbvwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbvwynne View Post
HI everyone- this is my first post. I usually always find my answers in other threads except for this problem.
I have a 2012 Karma EcoChic. I just replaced the radiator, fan, turbo inner cooler, a/c condenser and the radiator support. I filled all 3 coolant tanks one time so far- so I have not had to "top it off". I have drove less than 50 miles so far with no warning lights on. My problem is that I have no heat in the cabin. The controls are all working fine and there is air blowing- just not hot air. I have tried this in both driving modes and with a full battery and a full gas tank. On a gas only vehicle I know this symptom usually means there is an air bubble in the coolant system. I know how to "burp" those systems but nothing is helping the Karma. Also none of the coolant tanks have needed any topping off since the original fill so I dont think any of the coolant is cycling. I am stumped. How can I burp this system? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The center coolant tank is for the HV battery that one hasnít anything to do with heat the tank on the passenger side is for the invertors .
The drivers side is for heat and engine cooling . Put the car in sport mode and get the engine hot enough that the thermostat opens . The engine needs to get really hot but make sure the coolant level doesnít drop . If it gets hot enough it should burp also check if you get heat while the engine is running . The coolant pump for heat is located under the cowling . Also put your hand on the coolant hoses going into the firewall see if they are getting hot .
They make a tool which burps the air out of cooling systems thatís what I use but you also need to have an air compressor to use it .
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you for responding Harleyguy! I really appreciate your time! I actually got it to burp this AM and doing exactly like you suggested- to get the engine hot! I drove it in both modes but then kept it on in sport mode to see if I could get a light or something to happen! Then after about 5-8 minutes of 75 mph on the highway I had heat!! I got back to my shop and both side tanks had pressure AND needed to be filled another quart or so of coolant! I am letting it charge for a bit then another drive to confirm the solution!!
bbvwynne is offline   Reply With Quote