12v Battery Replacement Procedures - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Default 12v Battery Replacement Procedures

Iím putting this together for anyone that might like a few additional details about the process for changing the battery. Iím sure all of our resident pros (and anyone else that has changed the 12v on their own) can chime in and give some tips, add any information I may have missed, or even correct anything I have wrong Ė and I hope you do. I want to make sure this is accurate and useful. I plan to add this info to the self-help spreadsheet that I previously posted the link to, but Iím experimenting with different formats. I may even switch to a searchable, linked Word doc (let me know your thoughts). I will insert the pics tonight or this weekend.

I ended up getting a Duralast Platinum H6-AGM 12v battery from Autozone for ~$190. Interstate has replaced the MT5-48H6 with the MTX-48/H6,and they were out of stock - even at the local warehouse.

Contributers: Fabulist, Harleyguy, Ira
1) Disconnect the 12v battery. This is the same connector you disconnect when performing a HardReset.
2) Remove front passenger side wheel. Jack locations are shown in the attached images. Note: The Fisker does not come with a jackor a lug wrench. Youíll need a 22mm lug wrench (EasyEd).
3) Remove inner fender liner. Note: You can remove the entire liner but it isnít necessary. I only removed the two bolts on the left side where the battery is and the two on the very top, as shown in the pics. After you remove the bolts, you can push back on the edges of the liner (where it meets the fender) and then then fold the liner back and out of the way. I tucked it behind the rotor (EasyEd).
4) Remove battery tie-downs - 1 x 13mm nut on the side of the battery, and one T40 Torx/star bolt on the end. Note: I ended up stripping the torx bolt, and then had to try multiple ways to loosen it. If it feels really tight, try applying some heat directly to the bolt. Thatís what finally worked for me (along with hammering in an Allen wrench), even after it was stripped out. I replaced it with a bolt/screw with a phillips head (EasyEd).
5) Loosen and remove the positive cable (do this before you try to remove the battery). The positive cable is the closest one you see when you peel back the wheel well/fender liner.
6) Slide the battery out some so you can reach to the back of the battery and loosen/remove the negative cable. When you slide the battery forward the cables can get trapped between the top of the battery and the reservoir right above it. If it stops moving you may have to push it back in a little and adjust the cables. Notes: Iím not sure if they are all like this, but the bolt on my negative cable was at an odd angle. What worked best for me was to take the battery all the way out and have something to place it on prior to removing the ground cable. I wonít go into detail on my struggles here, but I finally ended up using two stacked 1-gallon cans of paint, ~20Ē high (EasyEd).
7) Remove battery. Reverse procedure for install.

Additional Notes:
-During install, ensure that the positive side of the battery is facing out.
-When reinstalling the battery the cables can once again get trapped between the top of the battery and the reservoir (which can be frustrating).
-There are two clamps to hold the cables out of the way on the right side behind the reservoir. Iím not sure if you HAVE to use these, but I did. It took some maneuvering, but I re-clamped each one after sliding the battery all the way back in (EasyEd).
Silver Wind EcoChic, Glacier Life Hemisphere Interior (#0358)
EasyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deep Ocean in ATL

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)

I would only add... The 12V battery is large and heavy, so be prepared for its weight when pulling out of the wheel well. It is a little awkward.

Some of the pro's please chime in on whether a 12VDC charger should be used to maintain the vehicle settings. I used one, but not sure it was necessary/beneficial.
AlJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default Deltran Battery Tender and wireless monitor

Hi.

I have two "fun" cars (Audi A8, Mercedes CLS 500, and a big diesel pusher RV that are stored more than driven, especially in the winter.

In each one, I've installed a Deltran Battery Charger (~$80, 5A, small, water-proof, mounts in the engine/battery area) and a wi-fi battery monitor.

The Deltran Wireless battery monitor (~$20, about the size of a hockey puck) reports to your iphone/ipad/android-thing every few minutes with a voltage update. The first time you set one up is confusing, and you'll time out and have to start again a few times (Deltran Account? ooops, long username/passwords, oops, local wifi SSID and password? oops),...

...BUT, your battery anxiety will be gone. Just plug in when low, or leave it plugged in - easy to disconnect and stash the short wire.

The Deltran Costco product is 3A, and will work for a single start battery, but for an RV bank, you'll need the 5A version from Amazon.

Here are the parts:

http://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Battery-Chargers-081-0172-Wireless/dp/B01N5IHLBG/

Amazon Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-022-0157-1-Waterproof-Charger/dp/B002DU3S9A

Amazon Amazon

The combination really makes a difference, especially when cold (I live in Colorado Springs)

- John

Last edited by JohnTaylorCOS; 02-19-2019 at 07:56 PM.
JohnTaylorCOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
2012 White Eco Sport 2348

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage

Hows the battery working? I think I am going to replace mine tonight. Did you post the pictures someplace? Thanks.
t4579ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4579ad View Post
Hows the battery working? I think I am going to replace mine tonight. Did you post the pictures someplace? Thanks.
Sorry - not yet. I'll post the pics when I get home today.

As far as the battery, it's working well.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default 12v Battery Replacement with Pics

Here it is, in a document format (with pics inserted):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

This site certainly doesn't make it easy to do things like this. After creating this multiple times in different formats, I ended up loading it to Google docs, and then having to go back and insert the pics.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
2012 White Eco Sport 2348

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage

Thank you very much. Very nicely done. My weekend project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
Here it is, in a document format (with pics inserted):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

This site certainly doesn't make it easy to do things like this. After creating this multiple times in different formats, I ended up loading it to Google docs, and then having to go back and insert the pics.
t4579ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Excellent post, wish I had read this before performing the exact procedure.
drfisker is offline   Reply With Quote