Requiem for my Karma - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Default Requiem for my Karma

Alas, my Laguna Karma, serial number 2631, is no more.

I was in the middle of a multi-car pileup on the freeway back in August. Pushed from behind, into a truck, my trusty steed was badly injured at both ends. Insurance has totaled the vehicle.

(On the bright side, we've ordered an I-Pace. Not nearly as good looking, but full EV, comfortable interior—that's my main complaint with the Teslas, they're just not comfortable—and has the acceleration the Karma should have had. The downside is that with both myself and my wife able to get into the Jaguar much more easily, and the head-up display, I'm going to have to compete with her for who gets to drive the new car, once it's here...)
ct-fiskerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)

Terrible news - hopefully you didn't sustain any injuries yourself. If so, good to see your Karma protected you to the end.

Simon

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Audi Q7 Prestige : Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
2012 White Eco Sport 2348

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage

Sorry to hear that. Can you still take parts off your car? Grab everything you can.
t4579ad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-fiskerbuzz View Post
Alas, my Laguna Karma, serial number 2631, is no more.
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! Yours was a Laguna too, which somehow makes it extra sad. If you don't mind me asking, did your insurance offer a fair settlement? Would you mind saying how much?

I've driven a prototype iPace and I liked it a lot. It's at the top of my list for my next car right now. I might try to hold out for a Mission E/Taycan, and I still have a deposit in on a Fisker eMotion, so we'll see.

I hope you stick around the forums. There are fewer and fewer of us here from the "pre-delivery" days!

Brent
Old 12-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)

can you tell us what they paid out?
rosssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Grab parts if possible please & how was the insurance situation?
Deep Ocean/Earth Tri-Tone Eco-Chic VIN#1506 May Good Karma Be With U Always!
HybridFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I'm fine - the crumple zones took all the beating. Airbags didn't even go off (in my car, not sure about the Nissan Leaf behind me, which got whacked by whoever was behind her in turn—the Leaf lost its entire back-end plastic, for instance...).

Insurance co takes the car, or its carcass anyway, and sells it to a parts-jobber. Payout was roughly $40k (a bit over after they add various transaction costs, as Farmers covers actual replacement with an "equal valued" vehicle). The car had just under 40k miles on it as well, so that seems about right. The assessment was done by some independent guy or shop and they didn't quote his methodology.

I am pretty excited about the I-Pace, after test driving. Not sure if the Taycan will be nicer, but having ordered the Jag already I still have to wait until April for it to arrive, and that's painful enough—waiting for the Taycan would be worse. Hopefully there will be no debacle with the Caesium Blue like there was with the Laguna.
ct-fiskerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage

Wow - I'm also so sorry to hear about this, but I'm glad the insurance payout was fair (something I've always wondered/worried about). It doesn't take much damage to render a 2012 a 'total loss' for insurance purposes, given the increasing scarcity of parts. If I was faced with the same situation, I'm not sure what parts I'd scavenge for myself (or if I even could, without somehow voiding the settlement where the car goes to someone for parts), but it would be nice for you to be able to keep some part of it as a souvenir.
Karma #328: Shadow on Monsoon Tri-tone
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-fiskerbuzz View Post
The downside is that with both myself and my wife able to get into the Jaguar much more easily, I'm going to have to compete with her for who gets to drive the new car, once it's here...)
You win the prize for considering your wife's wishes when it comes to the car you drive. Hopefully she doesn't trash your rims on the first day out, like my wife did when I tried to be so egalitarian

Simon

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Audi Q7 Prestige : Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)

https://www.copart.com/lot/52898778

Doesn't look like much damage in the rear though.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote