battery range question - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2018, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Default battery range question

when you engage the sport mode and the battery range is locked in, does it take into account portions of a mile or the whole number?

sometimes i will engage sport but the mileage range easily goes below the initial number.
rosssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosssr View Post
when you engage the sport mode and the battery range is locked in, does it take into account portions of a mile or the whole number?

sometimes i will engage sport but the mileage range easily goes below the initial number.
In Sport mode, the car “burrows” power from the battery if needed for climbing and acceleration, and then puts it back during cruise. I have seen the range fluctuate as much as 2 miles when driving in sport mode.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
In Sport mode, the car “burrows” power from the battery if needed for climbing and acceleration, and then puts it back during cruise. I have seen the range fluctuate as much as 2 miles when driving in sport mode.
yes, i am aware of that and have experienced the same.
but what i am asking is whether the 'lock' point takes into account any fraction of a mile or not.
for example, if i engage sport when i still show 28 miles of battery range, the range will drop to 27 eventually, but it stays very much at 27, with the occasional drop to 26 during hard acceleration, and then comes back to 27. whereas, if i engage sport at an indicated 26 miles of range, and also engage Hill 2, and then manage to recapture a mile during a heavy breaking episode, i quickly disengage and then re-engage sport in order to capture that extra mile....now when it borrows mileage, my hold on 27 seems tenuous.

so in the first example it seems like the system is saying yea, you have 27.9 miles of range, and in the second example it seems like the system is saying yea, you have 27.0 miles of range.

i realize this is hair splitting, but just a question that has been bugging me for a few weeks since i use my car as a daily driver and am frequently juggling range.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
but what i am asking is whether the 'lock' point takes into account any fraction of a mile or not.
for example, if i engage sport when i still show 28 miles of battery range, the range will drop to 27 eventually, but it stays very much at 27, with the occasional drop to 26 during hard acceleration, and then comes back to 27. whereas, if i engage sport at an indicated 26 miles of range, and also engage Hill 2, and then manage to recapture a mile during a heavy breaking episode, i quickly disengage and then re-engage sport in order to capture that extra mile....now when it borrows mileage, my hold on 27 seems tenuous.

so in the first example it seems like the system is saying yea, you have 27.9 miles of range, and in the second example it seems like the system is saying yea, you have 27.0 miles of range.

i realize this is hair splitting, but just a question that has been bugging me for a few weeks since i use my car as a daily driver and am frequently juggling range.
It does look closely(battery bar) as u do a long coast in hill mode 1 or 2 in stealth. If you do this in sport it seems like it just uses the extra 1 E mile or .5(1/2) E mile for climbing or boost. Unless u switch to stealth then back to sport. To use the fraction u gained slowing down for later. Tried this experiment few times on the hwy in the middle of the night & in heavy traffic. I managed to build E range back up to 27 when exiting off the hwy about 12 times.😌 I hope I answered ur question.
Deep Ocean/Earth Tri-Tone Eco-Chic VIN#1506 May Good Karma Be With U Always!
HybridFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

I believe, when you engage Sport mode it holds the battery at whatever % of charge level it is at - and the stealth range is estimated (as a round number) from that. It's likely not this linear, but I picture it as this:

The car never goes below 15%. So 85% of your battery life is supposed to be 50 miles, or each mile is 1.7%. So, 27 sport miles should be around 60.9% of your battery life (27x1.7% + 15%), and that's what the computer lets your charge fall to (probably 60%) if you engage Sport above 27 Stealth miles.

But, I think the computer uses amount or % of charge when locking in SPORT mode, not the integer Stealth miles. So, there will be times when you engage SPORT that your Stealth miles may dance up & down more than others - depending on how close to a rounding point your saved/locked % of charge is.
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:

In my experience, the indicated miles are absolute values, they are not rounded up or down.

My belief is based on the fact that when the battery is fully charged and indicating 50, driving the car a very short distance drops it to 49 miles. To me that indicates that 49.9 miles is displayed as 49 miles, not rounded up to 50 until it drops below 49.5. This is just based on my observation. I don't have any insight into the actual display software.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
In my experience, the indicated miles are absolute values, they are not rounded up or down.

My belief is based on the fact that when the battery is fully charged and indicating 50, driving the car a very short distance drops it to 49 miles. To me that indicates that 49.9 miles is displayed as 49 miles, not rounded up to 50 until it drops below 49.5. This is just based on my observation. I don't have any insight into the actual display software.
this is kind of what i figured given my observations.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)

That's still rounding - just always down instead of at 0.5. And, it would make sense to be conservative and show you 49 to mean "at least 49". I live on a mountain, so I keep 50 for most of my trips for quite a while. However, if the car drops to 49 right away, and SPORT kicks in right at 0 (which means 0.99) then you can't ever get 50 - you only get 49.

But, the question was, when you lock in SPORT, does it lock into an integer Stealth mile. And, when I do this, there are times when it holds the locked number pretty steadily, and other times when you see it drop and rebuild on almost every acceleration. THAT would indicate that SPORT locks in a battery charge level that is finer than a full Stealth mile.

If you have a OBD reader, you can see the battery State Of Charge (SOC) % - as a number from 0-100. Which would have to be mapped to Range in integer miles.
JCMorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

if the car is above 27 mile charge, even in sport mode it will drop all the way to 27 mile charge and should stay around that number.

Quote:

alexpop is offline   Reply With Quote