12 V battery discharge rate - Page 3 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
Measure voltage between positive side of black connector (or APM +) and ground Should be ~11.2-12v
Connect Jumper Box
Connect Black ground Cable
Turn on Jumper Box
Turn on Vehicle and wait for complete boot up and contactors closing
Turn off jumper box
Disconnect Jumper Box
Leave vehicle on for a few minutes
Measure voltage at APM should be >12.5v

Safest way to make sure you do not lose WUP signal
Great! Thank you so much - I will be unplugging the car on Saturday and it will be dormant for at least a month, so I will report back when I return.

Simon

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Audi Q7 Prestige : Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:50 AM   #22 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)

Okay, so here's the whole (simple) story based on real-life experience...

Heading off to Australia for two months, I put my Karma in hibernation by disconnecting the Big Black Plug (BBP). I could have released the handbrake, chocked the wheels and stuck it in neutral, but decided to risk it (maybe for a longer time next time). After two months (Oct. 20th to Dec. 26th), I followed the advice of @PowerSource and started the revival of the car by attaching my 12V booster battery to the car as advised in Karma's own Jump Start Video. Interestingly, when I did this, there were a lot of clicks and whirrs, which I did not expect. I then connected the BBP (when I would normally expect the clicks and whirrs, but there were none). I started the car up and reset the handbrake as per dashboard instructions. I left the car running for a few minutes and then disconnected my booster battery. The car continued to run normally.

After leaving the car running/idling for a few more minutes I turned the car off and connected my Trickle Charger. What I learned with the TC is that after hibernating for two months, the 12V battery was still at 80% SOC. I believe this is an original battery, so it's possible that age contributed to that 20% loss after two months, but for me it is good to know - it means that I could probably get away with five months of hibernation (assuming 50% loss) without too much worry.

Given the simplicity of this procedure, however, I won't be testing my hypothesis. I will always boost the 12V battery before reconnecting the BBP.

Thank you all for the help - interesting experiment!

Simon

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Audi Q7 Prestige : Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!

Last edited by shrowell; 12-27-2018 at 12:53 AM.
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote