charging in public places - Page 2 - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2018, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosssr View Post
i hear you. i was worried about that.
i let it stay on the chargepoint charger on sunday for 5 hours and topped it up, and it even started to charge it again for good measure.

the managers of my building really annoy me !
Would it make sense to buy a Fisker-branded charger (or a third party one that lets you limit the charging current) and use the 1/2 power option to balance overnight? If the issue is the current draw, the 1/2 power charge may avoid it.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
Would it make sense to buy a Fisker-branded charger (or a third party one that lets you limit the charging current) and use the 1/2 power option to balance overnight? If the issue is the current draw, the 1/2 power charge may avoid it.
i suppose it might.

as i understand it, the issue is that a regular 110 charger pulls about 1600 watts, and a half charger would allow that to draw only 800 watts?

the outlet in question currently powers a trickle charger - dunno what the wattage draw on that is.
rosssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

i assume that the tesla specific chargers do not work on the fisker?

Old 07-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
i assume that the tesla specific chargers do not work on the fisker?
The Karma is designed to work with any SAE-J1772 compliant charger. The Tesla-specific chargers use a different standard and would not work with a Karma.

A Tesla vehicle can charge from J1772 chargers using an adaptor, but AFAIK, you canít go the other way.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641
Old 07-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
i suppose it might.

as i understand it, the issue is that a regular 110 charger pulls about 1600 watts, and a half charger would allow that to draw only 800 watts?

the outlet in question currently powers a trickle charger - dunno what the wattage draw on that is.
Typically, battery trickle chargers draw Less than 100W when charging a dead battery, and much less when maintaining a charged battery, an order of magnitude lower than an EV charger.

Have you tried plugging in your portable charger when your car is fully charged to see if the tube-and-knob wiring can handle balancing current draw?

Old 07-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)

Maybe find a different place to live? looks like the managers baited and switched you on the charging situation and if they annoy you now, it likely won't get any better.

From OP's response it looks like they won't let him plug his vehicle into any outlet on the apartment premises, regardless of current draw. Having said that, are there any exterior outlets on the building or exterior parking spots close to an outlet?
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Going back to the first post in the thread, if an entire wing of the parking garage was plunged into darkness when the circuit breaker tripped, all the lights must be on the same circuit as the plug, which means that upgrading the fuse may not be an option. They would have to put the plug on its own separate circuit, and I doubt they would even consider that option.

Expanding on @PowerSource question; Is there any way to safely run an extension cord from INSIDE your apartment to a parking spot?

Old 07-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
A Tesla vehicle can charge from J1772 chargers using an adaptor, but AFAIK, you canít go the other way.
I'm not sure how Tesla feels about it, and it would NOT WORK with a SuperCharger, but you actually can go the other way now:
https://electrek.co/2017/06/20/tesla...tion-chargers/
Old 07-31-2018, 08:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePalmBJ View Post
I'm not sure how Tesla feels about it, and it would NOT WORK with a SuperCharger, but you actually can go the other way now:
https://electrek.co/2017/06/20/tesla...tion-chargers/
Had no idea; thank you for this piece of information.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Going back to the first post in the thread, if an entire wing of the parking garage was plunged into darkness when the circuit breaker tripped, all the lights must be on the same circuit as the plug, which means that upgrading the fuse may not be an option. They would have to put the plug on its own separate circuit, and I doubt they would even consider that option.

Expanding on @PowerSource question; Is there any way to safely run an extension cord from INSIDE your apartment to a parking spot?
thats exactly what i did.....but it is very annoying since i have to leave the car outside in order to charge it.