A/C all of a sudden not cold - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Default A/C all of a sudden not cold

Hi, I was parked yesterday with the AC on when all of a sudden the AC stopped blowing cold air. I had just switched over to Sport mode a few minutes before I parked and the gas engine didn't immediately turn on, but it did turn on while I was parked and then a couple minutes later the AC stopped blowing cold air. Not sure if they are related but thought I should mention it.

I've tried turning the car off/on, turning the AC cold off/on (i.e. snowflake button), turning the AC fans off/on, and changing from Sport to Stealth. Nothing has worked and the AC is still coming out warm/ambient temp. I have not tried a hard reset yet.

I do not have the HVAC issues that others have had where my windshield gets fogged up or not being able to change the vent positions.

Also my VIN is CA000341 and I don't think the HVAC has ever been replaced, so I assume I have the older 1004 HVAC model. Not sure if that matters here.

My questions are:

- Is this indicative of a simple low refrigerant/freon issue, or could the HVAC need replacing?

- If it's just a freon refill that's needed, can most experienced mechanics do this, or does it have to be done by a Fisker mechanic? Want to avoid the drive to the dealership if possible.

Thank you in advance!
mentat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Default

I have a similar issue, whereby the AC blows cold and then when the ICE starts up, warmer air starts coming through the driver side vents. The passenger side seems to be okay. I have found that stopping the car, letting the system reset on its own, usually solves the problem even with the ICE running. I am no great fan (no pun intended) of the AC unit in these cars - they don't seem to be highly effective and the air does not really match the temperatures selected on the central display. I haven't done anything about this, so far, because the thought of someone disassembling the dash gives me heartburn (I can imagine all sorts of squeaks and rattles being introduced).
__________________
Simon

Fisker Karma EcoChic #1030 : Mercedes CLK63 AMG: Audi Q7 Prestige : Honda CBR1000RR

Forever!
shrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
2012 White Eco Sport 2348
 
t4579ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Harrison Twp. Mi.
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Default

I have had this problem but most of the time it goes away the next time I start the car. Like run into the store and i had no AC before I parked and then when I left the store it started to work again. Any luck with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentat View Post
Hi, I was parked yesterday with the AC on when all of a sudden the AC stopped blowing cold air. I had just switched over to Sport mode a few minutes before I parked and the gas engine didn't immediately turn on, but it did turn on while I was parked and then a couple minutes later the AC stopped blowing cold air. Not sure if they are related but thought I should mention it.

I've tried turning the car off/on, turning the AC cold off/on (i.e. snowflake button), turning the AC fans off/on, and changing from Sport to Stealth. Nothing has worked and the AC is still coming out warm/ambient temp. I have not tried a hard reset yet.

I do not have the HVAC issues that others have had where my windshield gets fogged up or not being able to change the vent positions.

Also my VIN is CA000341 and I don't think the HVAC has ever been replaced, so I assume I have the older 1004 HVAC model. Not sure if that matters here.

My questions are:

- Is this indicative of a simple low refrigerant/freon issue, or could the HVAC need replacing?

- If it's just a freon refill that's needed, can most experienced mechanics do this, or does it have to be done by a Fisker mechanic? Want to avoid the drive to the dealership if possible.

Thank you in advance!
t4579ad is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,036
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Default

Any good mechanic can perform a AC service you might want to check that the engine cooling fan is working thatís probably the biggest cause of AC blowing hot. While the AC is blowing hot does it start to get cold the faster to move and get hot again when you slow down?
If it does check that the cooling fan is running. And donít forgot that the cooling fan cools the radiator you donít want to overheat the engine .
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentat View Post
Hi, I was parked yesterday with the AC on when all of a sudden the AC stopped blowing cold air. I had just switched over to Sport mode a few minutes before I parked and the gas engine didn't immediately turn on, but it did turn on while I was parked and then a couple minutes later the AC stopped blowing cold air. Not sure if they are related but thought I should mention it.

I've tried turning the car off/on, turning the AC cold off/on (i.e. snowflake button), turning the AC fans off/on, and changing from Sport to Stealth. Nothing has worked and the AC is still coming out warm/ambient temp. I have not tried a hard reset yet.

I do not have the HVAC issues that others have had where my windshield gets fogged up or not being able to change the vent positions.

Also my VIN is CA000341 and I don't think the HVAC has ever been replaced, so I assume I have the older 1004 HVAC model. Not sure if that matters here.

My questions are:

- Is this indicative of a simple low refrigerant/freon issue, or could the HVAC need replacing?

- If it's just a freon refill that's needed, can most experienced mechanics do this, or does it have to be done by a Fisker mechanic? Want to avoid the drive to the dealership if possible.

Thank you in advance!
I had a similar experience during a long drive of 2 hours without air conditioning working around half a year ago. Next day everything was working fine... I have read before this can happen with the FiskerÖ It's a known issue that sometimes happen...
B. Surm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Default

Thank you for the replies. Nothing changes when the car is running on ICE vs. electric, the AC is still ambient temp. I have tried turning the car off and on several times, and leaving it off for several hours, but still the same issue.

Harleyguy, I'm not sure where the engine cooling fan is. The only fan noise I hear is close to the base of the front windshield, just under the hood, and if I hold my hand over it I can feel air sucking in through the plastic cover. I do not hear any other fans turning on. Also, the temperature is the same regardless of whether I am driving fast or slow.

If the cooling fan is broken, should I not drive the car at all (i.e. get it towed to the Fisker dealer)? How can I tell what the engine temperature is? I didn't see any indicators in the dash.
mentat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,036
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentat View Post
Thank you for the replies. Nothing changes when the car is running on ICE vs. electric, the AC is still ambient temp. I have tried turning the car off and on several times, and leaving it off for several hours, but still the same issue.

Harleyguy, I'm not sure where the engine cooling fan is. The only fan noise I hear is close to the base of the front windshield, just under the hood, and if I hold my hand over it I can feel air sucking in through the plastic cover. I do not hear any other fans turning on. Also, the temperature is the same regardless of whether I am driving fast or slow.

If the cooling fan is broken, should I not drive the car at all (i.e. get it towed to the Fisker dealer)? How can I tell what the engine temperature is? I didn't see any indicators in the dash.
The engine has no temp gauge . The cooling fan is under the hood right in front of the engine . Itís very close to the front bumber. Turn the AC on high open the hood and listen for the cooling fan not the fan for cooling the inside the one you hear by the cowling. Itís hard to see the blades turning on the engine cooling fan but if you use a flash light on the passenger side look towards the center of the car
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Default

The cooling fan is not turning on when the AC is on max. Everything is silent under the hood/towards the front bumper. Is it OK to drive the car about 45 mins to the dealer, or should I get it towed?
mentat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FiskerPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Default

It's a double edged sword. The fan will not turn on until the AC high side refrigerant pressure reaches a certain psi. Unfortunately when the system is low or empty it cant reach that pressure so the fan wont turn on. The easiest way to self diagnose this is to drive the car down the highway with ac on max (you are bypassing the need for the cooling fan by cooling the condenser at 60mph) if the ac gets cool you have a bad fan (also another indicator of bad fan is to drive in sport mode in the heat and see if temp/oil light comes on.
If AC is still hot on highway it's either low on refrigerant or a compressor issue. We've seen a few compressors fail as well as the fuse blowing. However that fuse is in the high voltage battery so not recommended you check it. I would say after you do the fan check take it to have ac refrigerant checked. If empty the leak is likely 1 of 2 places.
__________________
EVolution Autosports
EV & Hybrid Performance
Fisker Specialists
[email protected]
FiskerPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiskerPhilly View Post
It's a double edged sword. The fan will not turn on until the AC high side refrigerant pressure reaches a certain psi. Unfortunately when the system is low or empty it cant reach that pressure so the fan wont turn on. The easiest way to self diagnose this is to drive the car down the highway with ac on max (you are bypassing the need for the cooling fan by cooling the condenser at 60mph) if the ac gets cool you have a bad fan (also another indicator of bad fan is to drive in sport mode in the heat and see if temp/oil light comes on.
If AC is still hot on highway it's either low on refrigerant or a compressor issue. We've seen a few compressors fail as well as the fuse blowing. However that fuse is in the high voltage battery so not recommended you check it. I would say after you do the fan check take it to have ac refrigerant checked. If empty the leak is likely 1 of 2 places.
Thank you for the detailed information. After the cold air stopped working, I drove it home on the highway with the AC fully on and the air was still not cold.

Not sure if this is relevant but as I mentioned in my first post, I was sitting in the car in Sport mode when the cold air stopped working, though the ICE wasn't on. As I was sitting parked, the ICE kicked in and I'm almost certain that's when the cold air stopped working (+/- a few seconds). Could this be indicative of a blown fuse?

I am getting the car towed tomorrow to the Ft. Worth TX Fisker dealer so I should know more in the next few days and will update the thread for anyone else having a similar issue.
mentat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sudden Battery drain VancouverKarma Fisker Karma 3 02-08-2014 05:19 AM
Snow tires vs. Cold weather tires EVer1 Fisker Karma 2 10-20-2013 10:50 PM
A/C off but cold air still blowing? drliu Fisker Karma 5 07-19-2012 03:26 PM
Fisker Karma Blowing Hot and Cold Fabulist Fisker Karma 10 02-10-2012 05:01 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.