CIU Update Software - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Default CIU Update Software

As many of you know there is only two ways to program the CIU when it looses it presets . The first is using the Fisker laptop either by a Fisker dealer or the few of us that have our own laptop and the capability to do it.
The second way is called a PUMA tool this tool is a stand alone tool which plugs into the OBD port and a thumb drive with software is inserted into the USB port . Basically itís plug and play I believe at this point Iím the only person who owns one of these tools I donít think Karma Automotive has one either and if they do they donít loan it out.
Iíve had this tool for a few years and on a regular basis I send it out to either upgrade the CIU or recover it. I do charge a fee for the use of the tool and for the most part itís usually a lot less then having to bring the car to the dealer.

I also have the BETA software which wasnít released by Fisker many of you have probably seen this software . The main screen is different and the colors are also different. Plus it has a bunch of other features I was thinking about offering this software with the use of my PUMA tool for a fee.

If anyone is interested in doing this you can email me direct at [email protected]
Also if you have lost your presets and the USB port still works in the console your CIU can be programmed. Make sure your CIU will play music using a thumb drive .
There are plenty of cars running this software for a couple of years without problems .Some of these customers live around the New Jersey/ PA area
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hm interesting.
Has anyone tried to analyze the protocol used on the OBD port? Perhaps a generic update device can be built afterwards.

What about the Software, is there any information how the firmware is built and if modifications can be injected?
viego78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Garage

I would like the tool! I have been asking for the use of it and would like to know all the features it has? Can you post a few screenshots?
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viego78 View Post
Hm interesting.
Has anyone tried to analyze the protocol used on the OBD port? Perhaps a generic update device can be built afterwards.

What about the Software, is there any information how the firmware is built and if modifications can be injected?
I knew the software programmer who was working on it when Fisker closed.Nothing else can be done with the software it wasn't an open source software and Visiteon wouldn't release the code from what I understand.This is the last software he was working on
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Many thanks for the insights.

As I read here on the forum and on the Visiteon website, they use QNX as base for their units. So the question is, how the unit is communicating with the car. This could be done via OBD2. Then, depending on how it is done, it should be possible to simulate this communication and because there is some OBD2 HAT for a raspberry, a new unit can be built. But it requires the CIU to provide only a interface and don't make any sophisticated calculations.

Perhaps your programmer can explain this to you.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)

Quote:

As I read here on the forum and on the Visiteon website, they use QNX as base for their units. So the question is, how the unit is communicating with the car. This could be done via OBD2. Then, depending on how it is done, it should be possible to simulate this communication and because there is some OBD2 HAT for a raspberry, a new unit can be built. But it requires the CIU to provide only a interface and don't make any sophisticated calculations.

This is more @PowerSource’s domain, but I doubt that the CIU communicates with the rest of the car using OBDII, which AFAIK, is a diagnostic protocol. There are alternative CIU hardware that can be installed in the Karma and configured to work with the native CAN protocols without reprogramming them. Check out this thread for more details: https://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-...tml#post243169. Here is one specific prototype developed by @PowerSource:

Also, AFAIK, the Raspberry PI, while a very versatile prototyping and developing platform, is not really suitable for an automotive environment.

Original owner of 2012 Eco Sport Black (Eclipse) with Monsoon Tritone Interior. VIN: -0641

Last edited by Fabulist; 06-05-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)

Quote:

The issue with the current unit is mainly the HMI, not the CIU itself. Karma has the UI development environment/code but does not want to develop it further and will not release it; so others can fix the UI of the existing CIU.

We already have replaced the CIU and TPI with our own variant. We are working on a 2nd gen less expensive version for 2012 cars, which hopefully will be completed by Summer.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

@Fabulist yes, okay. I thought it would be useful to use a raspberry for a prototyped replacement, but obviously @PowerSource is already much further ahead of this.

I'm looking forward to see what's possible.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Early Adopter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
The issue with the current unit is mainly the HMI, not the CIU itself. Karma has the UI development environment/code but does not want to develop it further and will not release it; so others can fix the UI of the existing CIU.

We already have replaced the CIU and TPI with our own variant. We are working on a 2nd gen less expensive version for 2012 cars, which hopefully will be completed by Summer.
Put me on the list - I'll have Joe install mine like he did the TOM -- btw, love the TOM!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

@PowerSource - how’s the updated CIU coming along? Having a more modern interface is a must. Plus, doing wireless CarPlay would be ideal. I’ve been following your work on here with this amazing car and am eagerly looking forward to this update in particular. Can’t wait!
JeffBeckHudd is offline   Reply With Quote