First road trip in my Fisker Karma - Fisker Buzz Forums
Fisker Buzz Forums

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2018, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Default First road trip in my Fisker Karma

I am taking my first road trip in my Fisker Karma, leaving next Friday for a 6 1/2 hour drive from Cleveland, Ohio to Philadelphia, Pa area, to Joe Ferrante's May 19th FK Event. I am excited.

I have only owned my FK for about 6 months and have only driven in good weather and have only put about 1,500 miles on it. I have never driven for more than an hour. I have less than 4,000 miles on the car, it is in like new, almost mint condition. I purchased it from Joe Ferrante , Certified Pre Owned , with a 2 year warranty.

What advice does anyone have for me to consider on my first road trip?

What should I have in the car for emergencies, etc.

Should/Can I drive the car just like I would any other car and only run the ICE engine and keep filling up with gas as needed and not worry about finding and waiting at charging stations. I do have an activated Charge Point card. I will also bring my charging cord. I probably should purchase a code reader, but which one?

Front tires are Goodyear Eagle F1, 255/35R22 99W Radial Tubeless made in USA.
Rear tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 285/35R22 102W. Any suggestions on tire pressure.

I am more than a little bit nervous about the trip. Thanks in advance.
Signature Car #13, Silver Mirage, Tri-Tone Mohave
buzinvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)

i've unfortunately driven mine for a fast and sustained period of about 3.5/4 hours. back and forth to fort worth for service, several times - must be 6 times by now.
it handles it just fine.
if you run fast like i did tho, you wont get much better than 22 mpg, and you will be stopping for gas every 200 miles at least.
rosssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ira

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Garage

Drive it in Sports mode for most the trip. The battery will hold at 27 EV miles, which you can use in Stealth for stop and go traffic and for a quieter ride going uphill, and for regen going downhill.

Near the end of the trip, use whatever battery miles remain. Mechanics prefer working on a Karma with a depleted battery.
Karma - Shadow/Canyon #1292
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzinvest View Post
I am taking my first road trip in my Fisker Karma, leaving next Friday for a 6 1/2 hour drive from Cleveland, Ohio to Philadelphia, Pa area, to Joe Ferrante's May 19th FK Event. I am excited.

I have only owned my FK for about 6 months and have only driven in good weather and have only put about 1,500 miles on it. I have never driven for more than an hour. I have less than 4,000 miles on the car, it is in like new, almost mint condition. I purchased it from Joe Ferrante , Certified Pre Owned , with a 2 year warranty.

Should/Can I drive the car just like I would any other car and only run the ICE engine and keep filling up with gas as needed and not worry about finding and waiting at charging stations. I do have an activated Charge Point card. I will also bring my charging cord. I probably should purchase a code reader, but which one?

Rear tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 285/35R22 102W. Any suggestions on tire pressure.

Save as many battery miles as possible. That way if you have a misfire issue or something like this, that disables the ICE, you can still limp off the highway in stealth mode. Keep an eye on the fuel gauge, it is pretty inaccurate due to the shape of the tank. Once it shows less than 100 miles... fill up.

Use cruise control as much as possible.

Buy the Actron CP9125 OBD scanner and keep it in your center console.

Carry windshield washer fluid in your trunk. The Karma self depletes windshield washer fluid.

If your vehicle does end up disabling the ICE at some point you will want to keep the windows open while doing a hard reset. Do not do a hard reset with the windows closed as that could lock the vehicle. A lot of times the quality of gas in the boonies is pretty bad and it is smart to also carry an octane booster.

Have done dozens of cross country trips from West Coast to East Coast and back. Anything can happen with a Karma!

Last edited by PowerSource; 05-13-2018 at 07:11 PM.
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSource View Post
Save as many battery miles as possible. That way if you have a misfire issue or something like this, that disables the ICE, you can still limp off the highway in stealth mode. Keep an eye on the fuel gauge, it is pretty inaccurate due to the shape of the tank. Once it shows less than 100 miles... fill up.

Use cruise control as much as possible.

Buy the Actron CP9125 OBD scanner and keep it in your center console.

Carry windshield washer fluid in your trunk. The Karma self depletes windshield washer fluid.

If your vehicle does end up disabling the ICE at some point you will want to keep the windows open while doing a hard reset. Do not do a hard reset with the windows closed as that could lock the vehicle. A lot of times the quality of gas in the boonies is pretty bad and it is smart to also carry an octane booster.

Have done dozens of cross country trips from West Coast to East Coast and back. Anything can happen with a Karma!
ok, you have prompted some thoughts and questions
- my fuel gauge seems about right. i wait until the gasoline gauge gets just above red, or in the red, and then i get gas. i usually end up putting in about 8 gallons out of the 9.5 gallon tank.

-are misfires, or other issues with the 4 banger common? i just had mine serviced and it runs pretty flawlessly.

- when you use the cruise control, does the ice motor stay at a constant rpm, or does it just continue to rev as it needs to?

- i have never heard this about the windshield wiper fluid. is there a leak in the tank? how does it empty itself? i have not noticed this on my car.

- why would the ice motor stop working by itself?

- good advice on the window opening thing during hard reset - will try to remember that.

- for gasoline, i try to use shell nitro at least every other tank full. best additive package.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Liked, but not well liked

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosssr View Post
ok, you have prompted some thoughts and questions
- my fuel gauge seems about right. i wait until the gasoline gauge gets just above red, or in the red, and then i get gas. i usually end up putting in about 8 gallons out of the 9.5 gallon tank.

-are misfires, or other issues with the 4 banger common? i just had mine serviced and it runs pretty flawlessly.
Likely not but it could happen and is not that uncommon depending on the health of your coupler. I run a slip clutch variant with no issues.
Quote:
- when you use the cruise control, does the ice motor stay at a constant rpm, or does it just continue to rev as it needs to?
Depends on terrain but cruise attempts to keep synchronous rpm's which is useful
Quote:
- i have never heard this about the windshield wiper fluid. is there a leak in the tank? how does it empty itself? i have not noticed this on my car.
common issue the windshield wiper fluid somehow disappears due to the design of the tank
Quote:
- why would the ice motor stop working by itself?
There are many codes that could manifest itself that would stop the ICE from working better to be safe especially if you have not done a long road trip before
PowerSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage

Sounds like great advice based on actual experiences.
Very much appreciated, THX!
Signature Car #13, Silver Mirage, Tri-Tone Mohave
buzinvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Karma Enthusiast

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzinvest View Post

The Goodyear F1s are good summer tires, they ride hard IMO and rub/slide on the pavement more than a grip feeling. I feel them skip a lot! I replaced my F1s with Continental ExtremeContact (will post a review soon). Keep pressure as recommended, you find that inside the driver's side door. Avoid potholes, you have low profile tires and they will stread if you hit one.

If you stop and charge the car it takes 5+ hours on 220 (Charge point). What you do is drive until you hit 27 EV miles and then kick the ICE on. Leave 27 EV miles for good power and control. If you run the miles down to single digits the car lacks power and the ICE struggles to keep up...it's bad driving with 0 1 or 2 EV miles with the ICE.

The car isn't the roomiest, so if your tall or bigger you might get uncomfortable. Have fun!
Lovely Laguna Blue EcoSport Black Sand Monotone #2655
jomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
2012 White Eco Sport 2348

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage

Windshield washer fluid, I hear it evaporates much faster as it gets hot with the location of the tank near the muffler.
t4579ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4579ad View Post
Windshield washer fluid, I hear it evaporates much faster as it gets hot with the location of the tank near the muffler.
that makes sense. thx